Gopher RB commit Zach Evans Texas Player of Week

Offensive player of the week (Sept. 26): Rockwall-Heath RB Zach Evans​

Evans rushed for 270 yards and five touchdowns as Rockwall-Heath edged arch-rival Rockwall.​

Rockwall-Heath running back  Zach Evans (26) celebrates after scoring the game-winning touchdown in the second overtime against Rockwall in a District 10-6A high school football game at Wilkerson-Sanders Stadium on Friday, Sept. 24, 2021, in Rockwall.  Rockwall-Heath won the game 79-71 in double overtime.

Rockwall-Heath running back Zach Evans (26) celebrates after scoring the game-winning touchdown in the second overtime against Rockwall in a District 10-6A high school football game at Wilkerson-Sanders Stadium on Friday, Sept. 24, 2021, in Rockwall. Rockwall-Heath won the game 79-71 in double overtime. (Smiley N. Pool / Staff Photographer)
By Rick Kretzschmar
4:08 PM on Sep 26, 2021

Rockwall-Heath RB Zach Evans​

What he did: Evans rushed for 270 yards and five touchdowns on 33 carries as Rockwall-Heath edged arch rival Rockwall 79-71 in a double-overtime epic Friday. Evans’ scoring runs included both of Rockwall-Heath’s touchdowns in overtime, from 10 and 3 yards. He also had touchdown runs of 18, 17 and 5 yards.
The stats: Evans has rushed for 731 yards and 13 touchdowns on 100 carries this season. He has rushed for over 100 yards four times in 2021, helping Rockwall-Heath average 60.4 points per game. He has helped Rockwall-Heath compile a 4-1 record, 1-0 in District 10-6A heading into this Friday’s game against Mesquite Horn at Hanby Stadium in Mesquite.

Who is he: A 5-10, 200-pound senior running back. Evans rushed for 1,223 yards and 14 touchdowns last season before suffering a knee injury against Temple in a Class 6A Division II area playoff. He has rushed for 2,572 yards and 29 touchdowns in his career. Evans credits Rockwall-Heath’s offensive linemen such as tackles Ian Morgan and Caleb Flores, guards Sebastian Martinez and Caleb Flores, tight end Lance Mason and sophomore center Cash Cleveland for a big part of Friday’s success.

Evans verbally committed to Minnesota in June, choosing the Golden Gophers over Tulsa, Princeton, Houston and Nevada. Evans said the knee injury provided offseason motivation. “I wanted to prove to everybody that I could come back better, faster and stronger,” Evans said.
Rockwall-Heath RB Zach Evans.

Rockwall-Heath RB Zach Evans.(Rockwall-Heath High School)

He said it: “I definitely will remember the last touchdown when I hurdled a defender in the end zone. The hurdle was on instinct. I sensed somebody would go for my legs … We were in good shape to make it all the way through, but I think the biggest reason we won was desire. It’s the players that have the biggest will that will win games like that.”

Coach said it: “I truly believe Friday was Zach’s best game ever. He ran hard. He ran fast. He ran angry.” — Mike Spradlin

Did you know? Evans started playing football in the fifth grade for Parkway West Middle School in Chesterfield, Mo., a suburb of St. Louis. He played fullback and defensive end before moving to tailback when his family moved to Heath in 2016 … Spradlin said Evans is one of the best students in the school. Evans was recruited by two Ivy League schools: Princeton and Yale … Evans plans on majoring in supply chain management. He said after football he hopes to either own his own logistics business or work in a law firm … Evans’ favorite course in school is history, especially since the year 2000 and what the world is going through right now during the Covid-19 pandemic. He is optimistic about America’s future. “In a century from now I think they will look back on now and the next two years as a key point where we had peoples wants and the country’s needs. I think eventually we will find balance,” Evans said. … Evans’ favorite meal is filet mignon with mashed potatoes and green beans with a Shirley Temple to drink … Evans’ favorite athlete is Washington Football Team running back Antonio Gibson. “I love the way he runs the ball. My style is very similar to him running the ball as a downhill runner,” Evans said.

I can't believe they would do that to him!!/s
I get the /s, but seriously high school carries don't hold a candle to college or pro carries. The kids they are running over generally look worse than most walkons

I get the /s, but seriously high school carries don't hold a candle to college or pro carries. The kids they are running over generally look worse than most walkons
Is the idea that it is the severity of hits? Or just wear and tear?

If it's hits then you can have a guy with 30 carries "wearing out" or being at risk FAR less than a guy with 15 potentially....

I'm not sure I buy into the general theory that someone can look at a stat sheet or even see a few hits and assess someone's risk like that.

Is the idea that it is the severity of hits? Or just wear and tear?

If it's hits then you can have a guy with 30 carries "wearing out" or being at risk FAR less than a guy with 15 potentially....

I'm not sure I buy into the general theory that someone can look at a stat sheet and assess someone's risk like that.
I meant it terms of hits. A person carrying in 30 times in HS, College and NFL will suffer more punishment as they move up. Unless you are Derrick Henry. I was referencing the sh*tshow in the other thread with blahblah and someguy (as I assume you were).

Not sure all this publicity is a good thing. I was hoping we could just get the commitment and “hide” him like days of old. Just wait and see , TCU or Baylor will get involved and we will be onc e again looking.

Top Bottom