Gopher now #16/22, Butler #10/#12

Who???

I'll take the opinion of ESPN and the Associated Press, who in the hell is Jeff Sagarin??? What a terrible website!

I'll take the opinion of ESPN and the Associated Press, who in the hell is Jeff Sagarin??? What a terrible website!

The ratings don't mean much early in the year given the lack of data. It's a computer system developed by Sagarin.

Take it for what it's worth, but I usually don't look at Sagarin's rankings until the last month or so of the season. Since it's all mathematical, it's hard to get an accurate assessment of any team until there is a bigger sample size of evidence to go off of.

Take it for what it's worth, but I usually don't look at Sagarin's rankings until the last month or so of the season. Since it's all mathematical, it's hard to get an accurate assessment of any team until there is a bigger sample size of evidence to go off of.

Agreed...if I recall correctly, Sagarin either last year or two years ago had us either #1 or #2 in his rankings after the first two weeks of the season. Once the sample size is bigger, it gets much better, but at this time of the year, it's all a crap shoot. Then again, you'll see teams that are in the poll now that have no shot to be in the poll at the end of the year, and vice-versa, so take them all with a grain of salt this early.

The Pomeroy rankings are fun to watch as the season unfolds also but are pretty meaningless at this point.

Homers, unite! Let's just accept the polls that show us in good light and reject all others. ;)

Homers, unite! Let's just accept the polls that show us in good light and reject all others. ;)
Well G4L, I could cite Billy the Badger's poll that has us at #249, but really the AP and ESPN polls are the only 2 cited by any national news outlets, and the only two that 99% of the country pays attention to.

But if you want to follow/care about Sagarin, you go right ahead. I'm sure #13 BYU and #24 CS-Fullerton are calling their friends and family about their spot in his poll, and #47 Kentucky, #69 Illinois, and #110 Michigan are really frantically worried about theirs.

Not sure why there's such a disparity between AP and ESPN.

Top Bottom