Gopher NIL launch

Furthermore, I’m nervous about the rollout of this thing tomorrow. I hope all goes very smoothly. Don’t want to turn potential contributors off with snafus. I plan on buying 5 passes. I have 4 people who generally go to the games with me so 4 passes for access and 1 extra for the Winfield jersey.

So some simple calculations ...1000 NIL supporters contribute $199 each generating $199,000 which is shared equally by the 95 participating players which yields approximately around $2,000/student athlete. that doesn't seem like much considering all the hands ringing going on here. How does that rank in big ten, nationally,etc. I guess this is a new metric to measure college sports. we still need a sugar daddy.

The website is live. Make your account now so you can get through checkout quicker at 10am.

So I guess I was under the impression this and Dinkytown Athletes were the same thing but now it’s clear to me they are separate entities.

Dinkytown Athletes seems to be more endorsed by the U as all of the Gopher socials follow it.

Curious to see how many of these pop up.

TCNIL seems to be solely for Football while Dinkytown Athletes will sell passes by sport and will offer passes for every sport at the U it seems.

I bailed at the last minute. Selfishly, I’d rather donate to increase my gopher score. I’d consider a solely virtual form of support in the future as I’m from out of town. Would also pay a pretty penny for personalized jerseys, but not $1000 for Winfield.

Bought 3 passes at 10 AM CST

96 / 1,000 sold

I did a small part too but wonder if they will increase the number of passes. 10,000 would be better than 1,000. We'll see how the first offering goes.

I did a small part too but wonder if they will increase the number of passes. 10,000 would be better than 1,000. We'll see how the first offering goes.
They’re not flying off the shelf. Sitting at 150.

I thought they’d get to 1000 but now I’m not so sure. I expected more of a surge at the beginning.

So I guess I was under the impression this and Dinkytown Athletes were the same thing but now it’s clear to me they are separate entities.

Dinkytown Athletes seems to be more endorsed by the U as all of the Gopher socials follow it.

Curious to see how many of these pop up.

TCNIL seems to be solely for Football while Dinkytown Athletes will sell passes by sport and will offer passes for every sport at the U it seems.
Dinkytown athletes has potential to link u players with companies for marketing deals. Sounds promising and kudos to Derek burns and his business partner for taking lead...

I wonder if over time things like this will replace things like the open practices and spring games to the point where you need to pay to get any sort of access to the players.

If not this seems great, there are already a lot of opportunities you can pay for (or get through "donations") where the money goes through the athletic department so if you're going to pay for exclusive events or access, I'd much rather the money go to the players than to the school.
What if scenario. If all the money goes right to the students, how does the athletic dept. fund its self. I know the get tv and ticket sales, but won’t the students eventually start demanding a share of that.

Weak fan base, no? Two hours past launch only 170 sold? 🤦🏻‍♂️ Maybe not many people know?

The player should’ve reached out to local news stations.

Either way, surprised myself how slow the sale is going.

If we were a true “blue bloods”, should’ve been sold out like Kylie Jenner a’ lip kits (literately within one minute millions kits sells out) with web crash! 😆

I’m prepared to shell out some NIL cash. Just want to go to the most efficient outlet.
Yeah I want to know how it works, details, oversight ... that's a lot, but it's also being responsible.

Seems to have sputtered around 200. This isn’t getting to 1000 anytime soon.

You have to assume several people will have a few belts tonight and buy multiple passes. That’s our best chance to get to 1/3 by tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

Stalled at under 300. Next.

Should be more of a focus on merch availability. Nobody cares about content. We’ll see what Derek Burns has up his sleeve.

I just looked and the bar was full. But it was just my connection. Then it updated to show 288. I thought someone bought them out. I did my part I bought 5.

Would be willing to bet that a lot of people still don't know about this which would explain the slower start. Hopefully as word gets out the numbers will go up.

A lot don’t know about it and the benefits of membership/ precise explanation of how the money will be used are kind of lacking. In that context, raising $60,000+ in a weekend isn’t too shabby.

Better names and more sports in this promo video.

Top Bottom