Gopher NIL launch

swingman

Reaction score
Minnesota Golden Gophers football players announced Wednesday morning the upcoming launch of the Twin Cities NIL Club, described on the official website as “a player-led fan community that benefits members of the Minnesota football team.”

The official Twitter account for the Twin Cities NIL Club also became active Wednesday morning, at which multiple point Gopher football team members started sharing the announcement Tweet alongside a letter written by the players and addressed to Gopher fans.

Here is the text of that letter:

Dear Gopher fans,

Our team has come together to launch the Twin Cities NIL Club.

The Twin Cities NIL Club is a membership-based community that allows fans to access and support the players like never before.

Benefits of becoming a member include the following:

• Meet-and-great with the team
  • Annual NIL Club members-only tailgate
  • Online community to engage with the players
  • Access to player-created content
The 2022 Access Pass will cost $199 and include all of the above benefits. Proceeds from the sales will equally support every team member that is participating.

1,000 Twin Cities NIL Club Access Passes will be available for purchase starting in July. Owning this digital Access Pass is how you become a member of the club.

If you’re considering supporting the club, join early access at
TwinCitiesNILClub.com.

Ski-U-Mah,

Minnesota Players

Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) is one of the hottest topics in college sports. NCAA athletes were previously prohibited from profiting off themselves without losing their eligibility, but rule changes have effectively wiped out those restrictions, changing the landscape of college sports. Players can now accept money from businesses in exchange for using them in products or advertisements, and they can also promote themselves or companies in public appearances.

like the idea that it's shared across all players that are participating. i wonder who helped direct them in creating it (ie if it was through the U) as well as who will run in it long term. interesting to see what exactly these "events" end up being and how active their online materials are

1,000 Twin Cities NIL Club Access Passes will be available for purchase starting in July.

a. I hope we hit that number is a short amount of time
b. Really? Limiting the numbers might make is attractive (barrier to entry), but that also means that the total they will raise is $199,000

1656524937547.png

1,000 Twin Cities NIL Club Access Passes will be available for purchase starting in July.

b. Really? Limiting the numbers might make is attractive (barrier to entry), but that also means that the total they will raise is $199,000

View attachment 19093
Especially spread the funds amongst all of the players

I like to learn more about the logistics. Questions need answered:

Who’s over seeing the funds and distribution?
Does all players get equal amount?
Can we dictate what we donate goes to certain player(s)?

So many more questions

View attachment 19093
Minus costs to run the website and stuff. My bet would be its a combo of seeing if they can even hit 1000 members and some sort of technical/financial reason that expanding past 1000 would need some seed cash to attain. Any MN based cloud providers/website hosts that are willing to donate some server space?

We as fans should say…we’ll donate based on players winning games

Each game is worth X amount of collectively donations

Or certain season records will receive x amount

Give our players some incentive to win! 🤷🏻‍♂️😆

Especially spread the funds amongst all of the players

I like to learn more about the logistics. Questions need answered:

Who’s over seeing the funds and distribution?
Does all players get equal amount?
Can we dictate what we donate goes to certain player(s)?

So many more questions
Yeah that's my concern.

I was kind of thinking of a non profit that did events and such would be good with oversight, reports, etc.

I don't really know much about this org.

View attachment 19093

Yeah....I bet they are trying to first gauge interest. But also....if they host events/meet and greets....they may be thinking that they'll need to keep the attendance reasonable.

I'll be interested to see what this entails. I would certainly be interested to hear the players themselves talk about their games and whatnot.

We as fans should say…we’ll donate based on players winning games

Each game is worth X amount of collectively donations

Or certain season records will receive x amount

Give our players some incentive to win! 🤷🏻‍♂️😆
That’s not allowed. Even with paying players being allowed the gophers will find a way to get punished for paying players.

I sent them a message on twitter. The 1000 person limit is due to some of the attendance limits for the in-person events in the first year and they are working on a tier that has access to the online stuff but not the in-person stuff.

I'm sure this will evolve in time, I'd consider signing up and probably wouldn't even go to most of the events, maybe the tailgate

I sent them a message on twitter. The 1000 person limit is due to some of the attendance limits for the in-person events in the first year and they are working on a tier that has access to the online stuff but not the in-person stuff.
$200 isn't bad but an online tier would be great as a lot of us are out of state.

I wonder if over time things like this will replace things like the open practices and spring games to the point where you need to pay to get any sort of access to the players.

If not this seems great, there are already a lot of opportunities you can pay for (or get through "donations") where the money goes through the athletic department so if you're going to pay for exclusive events or access, I'd much rather the money go to the players than to the school.

I think I saw on Twitter that Houston is doing the same! Let’s face it, 98% of the player aren’t going to get anything in NIL so this type of program will ensure even PWO players gets something. Might as well unionize and milk us the fans as much as they could and can. Don’t blame them. Capitalize baby! I will throw my money at ya if y’all just fucking win!!! 😆

for the average scholarship football player, their room, board and tuition is paid for already. Under a new rule, schools can provide an extra payment for "academic performance" of up to $5,980 a year.

throw in a few thousand more from NIL and that is pretty good 'walking-around' money for a college student. that will pay for a lot of pizza and beer.

So it looks like they have switched up pricing to be more subscription based, which I’m just fine with!

Update. Looks like they’ve gotten lots of interest.

I hope they sell the Winfield jersey or sell custom jerseys separately for single pass holders. I’m not gonna buy 10 passes but I’ve always wanted a custom gopher jersey.

So it looks like they have switched up pricing to be more subscription based, which I’m just fine with!
I haven’t seen this. The emails still seem to advertise “passes” and incentivize buying multiples passes.

Top Bottom