Gopher/NCAA tidbits

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
(1) The Gophers are 6-7 vs. NCAA qualifiers this season. Last year they were 7-8 vs. NCAA qualifiers heading into the tournament.

(2) The Gophers have the most losses (13) of any at-large team in the field.

(3) The Gophers (#62) have the worst RPI of all the at-large teams. Florida (#56) had the next lowest. The other 32 at-larges all had RPIs in the top 50.

(4) Since 2000, the #1 team in the RPI has gone on to win the national championship only once (Duke in 2001). The final RPI of the eventual national champion has been 1, 3 (twice), 5 (twice), 6 (twice), 9, 13 and 15. That means the national champion this year will come from. ... Kansas (#1 in the RPI), Duke (#3), Syracuse (#5), Kansas State (#6), Baylor (#9), Texas A&M (#13) or Pitt (#15).

(5) There are 11 schools from BCS conferences that have not won a NCAA Tournament game since 2000. Four of those have a chance to get off that list. ... Baylor (vs. Sam Houston State), Clemson (vs. Mizzou), Florida State (vs. Gonzaga) and the Gophers (vs. Xavier).

(6) Only 6 programs have appeared in every NCAA Tournament since 2000. ... Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Michigan State, Texas and Wisconsin. Arizona fell off the list.

Who's NOT In The Field (Clipped From Yahoo! Article)

END OF THE STREAK

Arizona, one of the last teams to make the field last season, was left out this season to end the Wildcats’ string of 25 consecutive NCAA tournament appearances.

The longest streak in the nation now belongs to Kansas, which is in the tournament for the 21st season in a row.

WHERE ARE THEY?

Arizona isn’t the only big-name program missing from the tournament. Defending national champion North Carolina didn’t make the field. Neither did 2009 Final Four participant Connecticut.

Other big names missing from the field include 2008 runner-up Memphis and UCLA, which made three consecutive Final Four appearances from 2006-08.

I've been studying the pairings.
It seems as if all 5 Big Ten Teams are playing Friday.
All 4 Southeastern teams are playing Thursday.
All 4 Mountain West teams are playing Thursday.
Wake Forest is playing Thursday, the other 5 ACC teams are going Friday.
Big East and Big 12 are split pretty evenly(between days).
Maybe this happens every year, I don't remember. It probably doesn't matter...thought it was odd.

http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/basketball/men/

I've been studying the pairings.
It seems as if all 5 Big Ten Teams are playing Friday.
All 4 Southeastern teams are playing Thursday.
All 4 Mountain West teams are playing Thursday.
Wake Forest is playing Thursday, the other 5 ACC teams are going Friday.
Big East and Big 12 are split pretty evenly(between days).
Maybe this happens every year, I don't remember. It probably doesn't matter...thought it was odd.

http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/basketball/men/

Odd and frankly poor planning. Almost all markets show the other teams in the same conference as the home team if there aren't multiple local teams. Not great planning for TV.

The "EX-perts" also predicted the top 5-6 favorites to advance to near the end. I think we hear that every year and that's why Cinderellas arrive in pumpkins. We're IN - Go Gophers!

That's true, for the second year in a row we can say that, had we lost one more game we wouldn't have gotten in. Let's take advantage this time.

This team's issues seem to be largely mental, i.e. confidence. They came out against MSU and Purdue with aggression and no fear in their eyes, like they had nothing to lose and were going for it. They EXPECTED to make shots and they did. They played angry defense.

They looked tentative and complacent against OSU, as if they thought they already had their bid wrapped up. They hoped shots would go, rather than expecting they would.

Need the Fri/Sat gophers to show up in the tourney, not the sunday Gophers. I love the #11 seed, far more advantageous for a possible run than a 7-10 would be.

I thought the Sunday Gophers were good too, at least for the first 25 minutes or so. Then OSU took us to the woodshed. They imposed their will on us. Overall, the Gophers played their best basketball of the season at exactly the right time.

Good thing is, we can still play better. We really didn't get much out of Ralph the last couple games. That certainly could change in the NCAAs.

That's true, for the second year in a row we can say that, had we lost one more game we wouldn't have gotten in. Let's take advantage this time.

This team's issues seem to be largely mental, i.e. confidence. They came out against MSU and Purdue with aggression and no fear in their eyes, like they had nothing to lose and were going for it. They EXPECTED to make shots and they did. They played angry defense.

They looked tentative and complacent against OSU, as if they thought they already had their bid wrapped up. They hoped shots would go, rather than expecting they would.

Need the Fri/Sat gophers to show up in the tourney, not the sunday Gophers. I love the #11 seed, far more advantageous for a possible run than a 7-10 would be.

I think they hit the wall, even though they say they didn't. And everything OSU threw up starting going in. It was a bad combination.

No waffle. I always said Need 22 Or 23 W On SS To Be Sure Of NCAA Bid. 21 W squeaked in. 20 W would NOT have gotten in.

Its OK to be wrong FOT - I just don't think your numbers add up as well as SS's.

at one point I think you even had us needing to go 12-6 in the Regular Season in order to get in.

I am glad we have your friend and I appreciate your posts but we did go 9-9 in the B10 and finished with less than 22W - and we are IN - Thanks to your Friend.

Top Bottom