Gopher Hoops moving to AM1500

Interesting I guess. I can see the upside of being on KSTP, but you can't ignore the fact that their coverage area is tiny compared to WCCO and the Gophers network is nothing like the Twins, especially for basketball.

Interesting I guess. I can see the upside of being on KSTP, but you can't ignore the fact that their coverage area is tiny compared to WCCO and the Gophers network is nothing like the Twins, especially for basketball.

Can't get 1500 here in Alex, our local am is 1490. Will be interesting to see what the affiliate coverage will be. CC0 has lost the vikes, twins, gopher fb and bb. I wonder how many of those they would have retained if it was still locally owned.

I hope they keep Mike Grimm. He does a pretty good job!!!! I do NOT want Paul Allen broadcasting the football game.!!!!

How that relates to gopher coverage reamins to be seen. kstp 1500 'affiliate' in alex carries sports talk and garage logic 2-5 pm mon-fri, and 10-noon on sat. Gopher coverage?

Yeah, that KSTP affiliate page looks pretty much like the Twins radio network. I don't think all or even most of those stations carry KSTP's regular line-up?

How that relates to gopher coverage reamins to be seen. kstp 1500 'affiliate' in alex carries sports talk and garage logic 2-5 pm mon-fri, and 10-noon on sat. Gopher coverage?

Yeah, that affiliate list looks shaky. I listen to that Marshall station at our cabin. All they run is Garage Logic after 7pm...

I wonder if it is just football that is going to be on 100.3FM or basketball too; that would be nice for me since my ipod radio thing only gets FM no AM stations.
The University of Minnesota said Wednesday that starting with the 2011-12 seasons, football is moving to Clear Channel's KFAN, AM 1130 (simulcast on KTLK, 100.3 FM). Both basketball programs and men's hockey shift to KSTP Radio, 1500 AM.
http://www.startribune.com/local/117648253.html

I hope they keep Mike Grimm. He does a pretty good job!!!! I do NOT want Paul Allen broadcasting the football game.!!!!

It won't be him because of his Viking role, but Paul Allen is miles better than Dave Lee. He might even learn something about the program. Regardless of who it is, I hope/assume this means there's a new broadcast team for football.

This is grossly overstated. I was picking up twins games in Geraldon Ontario last summer. Maybe the radio signals only go north :confused:

This is grossly overstated. I was picking up twins games in Geraldon Ontario last summer. Maybe the radio signals only go north :confused:

I think at night they switch to a directional signal, so yes. I don't know whether it's north or not, but it would seem so. KSTP is 50,000 watts at full power, I believe, the same as WCCO, but is not a clear channel and has nowhere near the coverage area. All I know is generally I could never get it more than an hour away from MSP.

Shooter on radio switch.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_17573306

interesting tidbit.

"WCCO has enjoyed a really long relationship with the U of M; that significantly changed dynamically when the U of M brought in Learfield Sports in 2006," WCCO general manager Mick Anselmo said in a telephone interview this morning.

I wonder if it is just football that is going to be on 100.3FM or basketball too; that would be nice for me since my ipod radio thing only gets FM no AM stations.
The University of Minnesota said Wednesday that starting with the 2011-12 seasons, football is moving to Clear Channel's KFAN, AM 1130 (simulcast on KTLK, 100.3 FM). Both basketball programs and men's hockey shift to KSTP Radio, 1500 AM.
http://www.startribune.com/local/117648253.html

The football deal is with Clear Channel which includes 100.3. The hoops and hockey deal is with Hubbard so no 100.3

Good move overall. Great move for Gopher hockey since all those conflicts with the Wild put a ton of their games on some small FM station you couldn't pick up from even the parking lot of that station. Not a great move for Gopher hoops....they were number one in priority over the Wild so they were never bumped.

As for affiliates....it will be different that the current KFAN network or KSTP network. Learfield goes out and creates its own Gopher radio network.

Ugh, this just ruins my day. I live in an apartment in the western suburbs and AM 1500 doesn’t even come in well in my house. I thought it was bad not getting the Twins on the radio now they have to add Gophers basketball too. If they are going to broadcast all of these sports teams can’t they AT LEAST increase their signal strength??? AARGH.

Thanks, I’ll get off my soapbox now. Per David Brauer on MinnPost, Dave Lee is out as football announcer but Mike Grimm will stay as basketball announcer. Does make sense to have sports on an all-sports channel though and I concur…rough day for the sports guys on WCCO!

Ugh, this just ruins my day. I live in an apartment in the western suburbs and AM 1500 doesn’t even come in well in my house. I thought it was bad not getting the Twins on the radio now they have to add Gophers basketball too. If they are going to broadcast all of these sports teams can’t they AT LEAST increase their signal strength??? AARGH.

Thanks, I’ll get off my soapbox now. Per David Brauer on MinnPost, Dave Lee is out as football announcer but Mike Grimm will stay as basketball announcer. Does make sense to have sports on an all-sports channel though and I concur…rough day for the sports guys on WCCO!

I live in the western Suburbs and have had poor reception for KSTP. I finally broke down and bought one of these http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Indoor-AM-Antenna-ADVANTAGE/dp/B000069EUW - not perfect but it helps. Just put the antenna close to the radio and tune it for am 1500. Wires not needed but are supplied. I have complained to kstp am ever since the twins joined them and I doubt they are ever going to solve their signal problem.

Like I say this helps but at $40 might be a lil pricey.

As far as radio networks - there is an existing Gopher Radio Network, distributed through the Minnesota News Network, that picks up the game broadcast from the flagship station. (I believe there are more FB network stations as opposed to men's BB.) Just because there's a new flagship, that shouldn't change the rest of the network. In fact, I would expect KSTP and Learfield to try and add more stations, now that the games won't be on CCO.

As far as the announcers, I hope and pray they can Mike Grimm as the PBP man. I have trouble listening to the games on the radio because I can't stand his constant whining about the officiating. "Terrible call by the officials." "Oh, that's a bad call." "No way is that a foul." "I can't believe they didn't call that." on and on and on and on and on for the entire game. To hear Grimm tell it, the Gophers have been jobbed by the refs in every single game this year. I can understand rooting for the team you cover, but even the home-team announcer should have a shred of professional integrity, and not blame everything on the refs.

You guys have computers don't you? Listen online.

Regarding 'just listen on the internet' comments: First, if you're in front a computer you probably have access to a televison, so why would you? Second, even if the 'listen on your smart-phone' was simple, it is unlikely that KFAN/KSTP will be allowed to stream the games online. WCCO can't currently and I dont know why this would change. The only way to listen online is to pay for a 'Goldzone' membership on gophersports.com that costs $10/month and as far as I know doesn't work well/at all on smart phones.

Top Bottom