Gopher Hockey Recruiting

Wood committing definitely raises our stock next year. We need competent goaltending and we should be a frozen four favorite.

That's a massive pickup. Biggest recruit/transfer for Motzko since Cooley. Nice work.

He shouldn't be on a line with Snuggy since both have questionable skating, but that 1-2 punch at RW is insane. Also, probably most importantly, having those two on the PP could help A TON, especially with Gruba in the PP mix.

That's a massive pickup. Biggest recruit/transfer for Motzko since Cooley. Nice work.

He shouldn't be on a line with Snuggy since both have questionable skating, but that 1-2 punch at RW is insane. Also, probably most importantly, having those two on the PP could help A TON, especially with Gruba in the PP mix.
I'll admit I knew almost nothing about this kid a week ago - are we talking dark horse hobey contender, Snuggy level player, etc.? The consensus seems to be he is better than the numbers he put up at Uconn (which weren't bad by any means) - is this kid a top line player on most teams?

I'll admit I knew almost nothing about this kid a week ago - are we talking dark horse hobey contender, Snuggy level player, etc.? The consensus seems to be he is better than the numbers he put up at Uconn (which weren't bad by any means) - is this kid a top line player on most teams?
Top line most teams? Ya probably
Hobey top ten? Unlikely

Top line most teams? Ya probably
Hobey top ten? Unlikely

Wood was hot late in the year. He scored five goals in his last three games including two goals against #1 Boston College. That hot shooting could be a false flash or what he can do ahead for the Gophers.

20 goals or more for Wood. Anything less will be a disappointing season.
25 goals or more for Snuggerud. Anything less will be a disappointing season.

What’s the word on Tommy Scarfone? Do we have any idea where he’s heading and are we in the mix at all? It seems like he would be a high priority for us.

What’s the word on Tommy Scarfone? Do we have any idea where he’s heading and are we in the mix at all? It seems like he would be a high priority for us.
The lack of buzz makes it seem unlikely, but he is the clear #1 target and the best final piece of the puzzle.

Is the general belief that Wood is likely onw and done here?

Is the general belief that Wood is likely onw and done here?
If he is not then something went way wrong and you probably don’t want him on the team regardless. That top line of Moore, Snuggy, and Wood should all be gone after next year.

I'm not convinced Snuggy and Wood should be on the same line. Same PP, sure. But they'll be better served by being on different lines.

If he is not then something went way wrong and you probably don’t want him on the team regardless. That top line of Moore, Snuggy, and Wood should all be gone after next year.
i will be a little surprised if Moore is gone. Chicago is forever away from contending and he will be 20 next spring. If he is, it's because he had a massive season which would bode really well for our chances next year. Otherwise I'd see him being a 3 year guy

Zach Stejskal, come on down.
Gotta imagine he's transferring because he wants one last shot at a title. Title contender + in need of a goalie describes the situation in Dinkytown pretty well....

On a related note it has been nice watching UMD fall back to earth after so many of their fans came out of the woodwork over the last 12 years

Gotta imagine he's transferring because he wants one last shot at a title. Title contender + in need of a goalie describes the situation in Dinkytown pretty well....

On a related note it has been nice watching UMD fall back to earth after so many of their fans came out of the woodwork over the last 12 years
And already in the school system. About as easy of a transfer he could get!

That likely means Whipple will come in. May have been some pressure coming from the Whipple camp. Mentioned in somewhere but I'd like to see Fish land at UST and get a good education and one more year of hockey.

Thomas-Rinzel
Koster-Gruba
Mittelstadt-Chesley
Whipple
Should not suit up and are free to walk if they want: Begley/Rud

That is back to 6 out of 7 D men suiting up being NHL draft picks, as it should be. Gruba would get drafted this year but he aged out of the draft last year. He could turn into a free agent target.

I know everyone loves the hometown kid but a championship team cannot put a guy like Carl Fish on the ice regularly. Best of luck to him but it was time to part ways.

Top Bottom