Gopher Hockey Recruiting

Wood followed Blake on Instagram. Oh boy, if Motzko loses this one...

It means "not interested, don't contact me"

The player has a specific team(s) as the choice and only choice.
And of course the best players will put that because tons of coaches would contact them.

Pohlkamp in the portal but doesn't sound like the Gophers were in the mix in a major position of need.

You don't understand that the entire future of this program hinges on one transfer?
Right. Don't get me wrong, I really hope we get Wood too. But the moving needle and the constant negative outlook are insane. First, it's "Bob is dumb for not using the portal" and the "portal is not important to Bob." Then we get news that we are likely in the running for Wood. And instead of saying "that's great news" or "Bob is showing me something" we get crickets chirping. Then, after Wood follows someone on instagram, it's basically "Bob is a failure if he doesn't land this one." Head-scratching logic.

Two years of Matthew Wood as a junior and senior could be as close of an impact to one year of Eiserman as you could get at this stage after missing on Alex Bump for 4 years. I'm just waiting for the result before giving Motzko the props.

If he does get him does Pitlick bounce? Will cross those bridges when we get there.

Two years of Matthew Wood as a junior and senior could be as close of an impact to one year of Eiserman as you could get at this stage after missing on Alex Bump for 4 years. I'm just waiting for the result before giving Motzko the props.

If he does get him does Pitlick bounce? Will cross those bridges when we get there.
I would see zero impact on Pitlick based on Wood. We will have room in the top 6

I would see zero impact on Pitlick based on Wood. We will have room in the top 6
On paper yes, but we never know what's going on behind the scenes. Pitlick was in the doghouse a ton this year, and rightfully so.

Pitlick-Moore-Wood would probably do way better than Pitlick-Moore-Snuggerud because Snuggerud's lack of hustle and speed would be replaced with a junior that can both score AND hustle. Lines 2-4 look like two third lines and a fourth line, but people always have hope players will take a step.

If you're wondering how to check that, do a 1st vs 1st, 2nd vs 2nd, and 3rd vs 3rd comparison between the Gophers, Michigan, and the two Boston schools for next year and you'll see the dropoff. Of course that exercise can't be done until transfers and departures play out.

A guy like Stramel could help get a true second line, maybe. This year the true second line was the geezers, namely 22 and 24 who really stepped up at the end and actually were the first line based on performance in the playoffs.

If Pitlick does go pro or transfer, you lose 4 of your top 5 scorers, which hurts.

Last edited:

Matthew Wood's dad was a Gopher women's assistant coach, hence the Gophers being in the mix

On paper yes, but we never know what's going on behind the scenes. Pitlick was in the doghouse a ton this year, and rightfully so.

Pitlick-Moore-Wood would probably do way better than Pitlick-Moore-Snuggerud because Snuggerud's lack of hustle and speed would be replaced with a junior that can both score AND hustle. Lines 2-4 look like two third lines and a fourth line, but people always have hope players will take a step.

If you're wondering how to check that, do a 1st vs 1st, 2nd vs 2nd, and 3rd vs 3rd comparison between the Gophers, Michigan, and the two Boston schools for next year and you'll see the dropoff. Of course that exercise can't be done until transfers and departures play out.

A guy like Stramel could help get a true second line, maybe. This year the true second line was the geezers, namely 22 and 24 who really stepped up at the end and actually were the first line based on performance in the playoffs.

If Pitlick does go pro or transfer, you lose 4 of your top 5 scorers, which hurts.
Yeah way too premature to do that as of now, but certainly need to find more scoring next year or see a style change and decide they’re going to grind/play d much more effectively. We got 12 and 13 goals out of Lamb and Huglen this year and certainly could see them have more of a Brodz/Nelson kind of year. That said, it 100% is why Bob is in the portal to try find some scoring punch as he sees that we need more

Wood's teammate also in the portal. Might be nice to check the D box with a package deal...

Heck, make it a triple with a big, Russian, drafted goalie...

Wood news is being backtracked away from heavy MN lean.

Basse and the UConn goalie off the board, leaving Scarfone as the clear top option.

If Motzko got Wood, Stramel, and a good goalie (Scarfone) it would be his best month of work as the Gopher coach.

I'd take him in a second
Absolutely. Bring him here!

I've been posting about it for the past week. He finally hit the portal.

Put him on the second line with Snuggie or Wood, if Wood commits.

Then sign a good goalie.

That's a 1 seed with 2 killer offensive lines.

Wood door closing with every additional UND player he follows on Instagram.

I believe Cruikshank is the only transfer portal player Motzko has ever brought in. That went poorly and then he played amazing the next year at SCSU. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up at all on Wood.

Wood door closing with every additional UND player he follows on Instagram.
More UND players, less of a chance. Brutal after the twitter losers spewing the Gopher stuff.

Top Bottom