Gopher Hockey Again Struggles, Loses Third Straight Series Opener

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The second ranked Gopher hockey team came into East Lansing looking to reverse their Friday night losing trend, taking on the Michigan State Spartans in a non-conference road game. Despite another standout performance from Sophomore Nick Bjugstad, the Gophers fell victim to a slow start, and a great goaltending performance by MSU's Drew Palmisano, losing to Sparty by a final score of 4-3 at Munn Ice Arena.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1573

Disappointing weekend for sure. We've had a big string of road games so it will be nice to get back home.

Our goal tending has let us down the past few games.

Go Gophers!!

Disappointing weekend for sure. We've had a big string of road games so it will be nice to get back home.

Our goal tending has let us down the past few games.

Go Gophers!!

I think our Holl-tending has been a bigger problem than our goaltending. There have been a lot more goals that I think can be blamed on Justin Holl (being out of position, refusing to take the body in front of the net, needing to take a tripping penalty because he mishandled an easy to play puck at the blue line, doing the Aaron Ness move where he is winning a race to the puck in the corner and then slows down so that he can give a hit instead of receiving a hit but loses the puck in the process) than should be blamed on Patterson. I haven't seen a stat sheet in a while, but I am curious what percentage of our goals against have been scored with Holl either on the ice or in the box. I was feeling the same way about Marshall, but this weekend I think Marshall played a really strong series with the exception of one turnover at the blue line where he kind of got lost on his way back to play defense.

I think our Holl-tending has been a bigger problem than our goaltending. There have been a lot more goals that I think can be blamed on Justin Holl (being out of position, refusing to take the body in front of the net, needing to take a tripping penalty because he mishandled an easy to play puck at the blue line, doing the Aaron Ness move where he is winning a race to the puck in the corner and then slows down so that he can give a hit instead of receiving a hit but loses the puck in the process) than should be blamed on Patterson. I haven't seen a stat sheet in a while, but I am curious what percentage of our goals against have been scored with Holl either on the ice or in the box. I was feeling the same way about Marshall, but this weekend I think Marshall played a really strong series with the exception of one turnover at the blue line where he kind of got lost on his way back to play defense.

Marshall was leading the team in +/- until this last series with Michigan State...holl on the other hand now has a higher plus/minus but he honestly struggles all the time. The stats definitely don't reflect his level of play. More luck than anything

Top Bottom