Gopher Gameday Street Party

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
This is Maturi's attempt to help create a better pre-game day atmosphere at TCF

Gopher Gameday Street Party

The portion of Oak Street that runs in front of Mariucci Arena and the stadium between 4th and 5th Streets will be closed completely for fan activities beginning three hours prior to kickoff for each game. Fans can watch the Gopher Victory Walk down Oak Street (2 hours and 15 minutes prior to kickoff), and the Band Show (80 minutes prior to kickoff). Fans can also enjoy interactive games, face painting, live entertainment, prizes, and food and beverages

How it happened

It was the pressure from Kill that allowed this to happen.

I'm all for it, but please explain to me how they can get Oak Street closed for 3 hours but cannot close University Ave for 15 min for the Band to march down?

I'm all for it, but please explain to me how they can get Oak Street closed for 3 hours but cannot close University Ave for 15 min for the Band to march down?

#facepalm

Oak Street: One block of a non traffic artery that is also two way
University: Multiple blocks of a one way major traffic artery

Hmmmm...Yes, these two are identical. I'm sure the process for getting the activities you discuss are the same.

go4rob: Totally agree with you as a fellow band alum. The logistical problems other bandos cite aren't really that big of a deal. But if people IN the band can't even commit to doing it how is the administration going to push the city to allow it.

Also, good start in the right direction but all these activities could (and have been) done on McNamara plaza. When will they start allowing tailgating on said plaza, the Mall, the Knoll, etc? When will they push the city to allow more beer gardens, private tailgating lots, etc? I'm thinking having Kill on board is the right step, the next is to win which draws more people and will create more of a party atmosphere with students. Hopefully he can do that.

The best part: You can now bring your own radio into TCF and listen to the broadcast without the delay, and without Dave Lee!

:clap::clap::clap:

The best part: You can now bring your own radio into TCF and listen to the broadcast without the delay, and without Dave Lee!

:clap::clap::clap:
Yes! That little Learfield radio thing becomes something worth possibly one day considering! ;)

Anything that gets people closer to the stadium and makes the game day atmosphere better is a step in the right direction. I thought they were doing something to get students their own tailgate area?

Anything that gets people closer to the stadium and makes the game day atmosphere better is a step in the right direction. I thought they were doing something to get students their own tailgate area?

Well, we know that's what Kill wanted. The other info posted to the board wasn't confirmed.

Butch
Here is Maturi's response to two of my ten points that I emailed him to help improve gameday at TCF. Its obvious to me that Maturi is a lightweight when it comes to promoting what the fans want. I realize that some of that will never happen. He goes the politically correct route rather than use his power as AD. I believe that he does not have the vision of what a great gameday atmosphere is.

1. Allow more opportunity for tailgating within a closer proximity to TCF. The high cost of parking in those lots prohibits that as we have witnessed very little activity in those lots.

We have worked hard to develop a "Tailgating" atmosphere at our football games. We realize that it will take time to create new traditions. Athletics does not control parking. that is handled by our Office of Parking and Transportation. They determine the rates although Athletics did determine giving levels to allow access to purchase. I do believe we are headed in the right direction.

10. Finally, the administration must seek ways to encourage greater support from the students. Its embarassing to see the student section less than full, or even less than one quarter full, especially at the Iowa game. We realize that it was holiday break but we know that many of those seats could have been filled by area high school students or other college students.

I can assure you that no one works harder at engaging the students that we have. We did get permission last month to close Oak Street and plan on some major events to attract our students. Winning will help and I am excited about what Coach Kill brings to Minnesota.

go4rob: Totally agree with you as a fellow band alum. The logistical problems other bandos cite aren't really that big of a deal. But if people IN the band can't even commit to doing it how is the administration going to push the city to allow it.

Also, good start in the right direction but all these activities could (and have been) done on McNamara plaza. When will they start allowing tailgating on said plaza, the Mall, the Knoll, etc? When will they push the city to allow more beer gardens, private tailgating lots, etc? I'm thinking having Kill on board is the right step, the next is to win which draws more people and will create more of a party atmosphere with students. Hopefully he can do that.

thanks for the reply. I think it's a good start as well, it's just that Maturi sends out so many mixed messages. Great game day experience, oops, no beer drinking in the fraternities, etc, you know what I mean. I also don't think this activity would have gotten wings had it not been for Coach Kill pushing for it. Small time Joel couldn't have come up with it himself.

thanks for the reply. I think it's a good start as well, it's just that Maturi sends out so many mixed messages. Great game day experience, oops, no beer drinking in the fraternities, etc, you know what I mean. I also don't think this activity would have gotten wings had it not been for Coach Kill pushing for it. Small time Joel couldn't have come up with it himself.

How the hell is it Maturi's fault that there is no drinking in the fraternities? I mean we all know he's not the best, but you can't blame him for all of life's problems. Damn you Joel Maturi for all the road construction around the U....we all know secretly it's his fault...

Can some one tell me what the rates for the tailgating lots are. I'm too lazy to look for it.

Thanks in advance.

$2500 for those closest to the stadium and $1000 for the outer ring. If you have preferred seating that will take care of a large portion if not all of it. We are in the Ski U Mah lot and always get there when the gates open, just doing our part.

I think this is geared towards the students. However, they probably dont want to call it the Student Tailgate area because they would then make non-students think they werent invited to the party. I beleive they can sell booze there as long as it is on the lawn of Mariucci Arena. Hopefully they do. Could make for a great gathering spot before and after the game.

Events need to be spiced up. How about dwarf tossing with said dwarfs being dressed in red.;)

Events need to be spiced up. How about dwarf tossing with said dwarfs being dressed in red.;)

Hog calling contest on Iowa weekend...cheese eating contest on Wiscy weekend...banjo battle on NE weekend...we need to have a staffer that does nothing but work on promotion of game day experience...FB is the money maker if the stadium is full and the lots are full...so lets invest to make some fricking money!

Hog calling contest on Iowa weekend...cheese eating contest on Wiscy weekend...banjo battle on NE weekend...we need to have a staffer that does nothing but work on promotion of game day experience...FB is the money maker if the stadium is full and the lots are full...so lets invest to make some fricking money!

You are hired Philly!

Could you add in corn husking contests, bison pie toss, hatchet throwing (well maybe that might be taking it too far) and see who can be the most obnoxious fan dressed in red.

Butch
Here is Maturi's response to two of my ten points that I emailed him to help improve gameday at TCF. Its obvious to me that Maturi is a lightweight when it comes to promoting what the fans want. I realize that some of that will never happen. He goes the politically correct route rather than use his power as AD. I believe that he does not have the vision of what a great gameday atmosphere is.

1. Allow more opportunity for tailgating within a closer proximity to TCF. The high cost of parking in those lots prohibits that as we have witnessed very little activity in those lots.

We have worked hard to develop a "Tailgating" atmosphere at our football games. We realize that it will take time to create new traditions. Athletics does not control parking. that is handled by our Office of Parking and Transportation. They determine the rates although Athletics did determine giving levels to allow access to purchase. I do believe we are headed in the right direction.

10. Finally, the administration must seek ways to encourage greater support from the students. Its embarassing to see the student section less than full, or even less than one quarter full, especially at the Iowa game. We realize that it was holiday break but we know that many of those seats could have been filled by area high school students or other college students.

I can assure you that no one works harder at engaging the students that we have. We did get permission last month to close Oak Street and plan on some major events to attract our students. Winning will help and I am excited about what Coach Kill brings to Minnesota.

Bayfield,

Thanks for engaging Joel Maturi. I appreciate the fact that he responds to every email. The negative to it is when I see PC answers and cliches (no works harder to engage...") I say bull. No you don't. I just don't see the vision and committment to be Big Ten level from him. Sincere decent, hard-working person in the wrong role. Philly had some fun ideas. Imagine if we could get a few thousand students there before the game, having fun, part of the Victory Walk, Band PreGame, Hog-Calling contest or whatever... its a start.

Fans can also enjoy interactive games, face painting, live entertainment, prizes, and food and beverages

Isn't this what they did before games at the dome? Are they just trying to take that experience and bring it over to TCF? If that is the case it isn't really a "Student" party but more of a family event.

It's not being billed as a student event, but one for everyone, including families.

I personally would rather see the marching band go through campus rather than watch them go down a street. I think a great tradition would be for the marching band to figure out a route that takes them from their home at TCF Bank through campus towards the knoll area, then turn down the mall, either cross the Washington Ave. Bridge or blast some tunes from the edge towards our tailgating lots on the West Bank, then head back towards the stadium via the scholar walk (towards the Alumni Center).
This doesn't have to be the whole band either....put a group together that would volunteer and understand that it might be a heck of a walk.

For maybe an hour or so there would be a constant band sound resonating through campus.

Top Bottom