Gopher Football Roster Updated

GopherSOB

Reaction score
I saw the Gopher football roster at gophersports.com has recently been updated with new weights for the players. Below I have listed a few interesting weight changes for a handful of players on both offense and defense. Most of the players I have listed have seen minimal playing time if any at all but now at least have the size and hopefully the strength to start making a contribution. Several of the players I listed have played a fair amount but kind of got thrown into the fire and now should have a better chance of stepping up their game.

Defense lbs.
G. Elmore 275 large DE hopefully steps up
J. Kafo 265
A. Stelter 290 the added weight/strength should really help him out
G. More 295 now in his third year within the program, hopefully contributes at a position of need
J. Waters 255

Ofense lbs.
Matt Leidner 290
N. Connelly 300
J. Weyler 305
Q. Oseland 320
T. Stieber 320
*Hopefully a couple of these OL step up and become solid options this year, we need that depth
I. Gentry 225 wow, hope he maintains his speed and stays healthy

I think I counted 11 OL on the roster weighing in at or above 300 lbs. Take a look at the updated roster and add your observations. Always interesting to see how the kids grow/mature from year to year.

I see that Melvin Holland is listed at only 205 pounds. I wonder if perhaps the weights of he and Gentry got mixed up? I was thinking that Gentry was quite skinny last year...like maybe only 190 pounds and that Holland was pretty solid?

Demry is still only 200. Seems like he been at that same weight for about 1.5 years now. Seth is up to 235, wow.

Pleased with the O-line weights. Everybody seems bigger.

Hope they keep Elmore and Kafo at end. They are finally at the size where they should be able to hold the edge so I hope we don't move then inside where they would again be undersized.

On a quick glance I thought this said "Mitch" and thought we might have a problem haha

I thought it said Mitch too and jumped to conclusion that he might have a thyroid issue. Damn, I was looking forward to seeing him run more this season.

I see that Melvin Holland is listed at only 205 pounds. I wonder if perhaps the weights of he and Gentry got mixed up? I was thinking that Gentry was quite skinny last year...like maybe only 190 pounds and that Holland was pretty solid?

I don't think Melvin's issue has ever been that he's skinny ... Hands have been an issue imo..

Waters just may grow into a DT, ala Darrell Reid.

Waters just may grow into a DT, ala Darrell Reid.
35 more lbs at his height is a huge step. We have not had anyone play well at DT at less than 290. Botticelli and Stelter were okay below that weight, but they can't play a lot below that weight and compete in this conference.

Elmore is getting to be more like a 3-4 DL than a DE in a 4-3.

Elmore is getting to be more like a 3-4 DL than a DE in a 4-3.

Eh, Bosa, William Gholston, Cameron Heyward, Watt, Clayborne, Dean Lowry were all over 275 in college as 4-3 DE's. Elmore is just now at a size where he can set the edge in the Big Ten and would definitely be undersized as a 3-4 DE. Drew Ott, Frank Clark, Ryan Nassib were also over 270 as well.

Yeah, perfect size IMO, if he can still move well. Ekpe is undersized IMO at 240, as a speed guy it will be interesting if he can get around the edge better this year. Winston D. will be an interesting one to watch, and Kafo. Also interested to see if the 3-4 be limited to passing downs or will they start mixing it into standard downs.

I've always been curious about DeLattibudere (sp?). He's now listed at 240. I recall he came in surprisingly light does anyone know what he was last year?

The best news is that Richardson has grown 2 inches. I've stood next to him and he was not the 5' 11" claimed at that time. He's now 6' so congratulations on him.

I believe DeLatt was listed as weighing 230 lbs. last year as a true freshman. Since his arrival on campus I have heard his name mentioned as a player with some ability and additionally I believe as a prep athlete he was young for his grade, graduated at 17 years old. Hopefully as he physically matures he developes into a great player.

DeLattiboudere, Winston
day-LOT-uh-boe-deer

Even if Elmore struggles getting to the QB because of his size, we have a lot of options of pure pass rushers. Huff looked really good flying around the edge. I am excited to see if Coughlin earns early PT. Don't get me wrong, it'd be nice if we could just rush 4 DL and get to the QB, but I think Claeys is going to mix it up quite a bit this season with different blitz packages. Elmore's versatility will definitely help us use different defensive formations.

I've always been curious about DeLattibudere (sp?). He's now listed at 240. I recall he came in surprisingly light does anyone know what he was last year?

I believe DeLatt was listed as weighing 230 lbs. last year as a true freshman. Since his arrival on campus I have heard his name mentioned as a player with some ability and additionally I believe as a prep athlete he was young for his grade, graduated at 17 years old. Hopefully as he physically matures he developes into a great player.

DeLattiboudere was listed as 6' 3" and 230lbs last year, got the from here: https://web.archive.org/web/2015122...om/sports/m-footbl/mtt/minn-m-footbl-mtt.html (Archived version of the roster page)

Even if Elmore struggles getting to the QB because of his size, we have a lot of options of pure pass rushers. Huff looked really good flying around the edge. I am excited to see if Coughlin earns early PT. Don't get me wrong, it'd be nice if we could just rush 4 DL and get to the QB, but I think Claeys is going to mix it up quite a bit this season with different blitz packages. Elmore's versatility will definitely help us use different defensive formations.
This gives us some options, but teams can adjust when you have to change personnel to generate a pass rush. I mostly agree with this, especially against spread temas, but against power teams we have to use Huff when it is second and long, or 3rd and long. He has less chance of holding an edge against a power team on first down than any of the DEs.

The best news is that Richardson has grown 2 inches. I've stood next to him and he was not the 5' 11" claimed at that time. He's now 6' so congratulations on him.

He's always been listed as 6'.

This gives us some options, but teams can adjust when you have to change personnel to generate a pass rush. I mostly agree with this, especially against spread temas, but against power teams we have to use Huff when it is second and long, or 3rd and long. He has less chance of holding an edge against a power team on first down than any of the DEs.

Depends on if Jackson or Richardson and the other guys can be 2 gap players in a 3-4. We can send different linebackers.

Weep for defensive end this season, it's the biggest weakness on our entire team. Having to rely on Huff to generate a pass rush is desperation, not a season long solution. Neither is relying on a true freshman LB. The fact is Elmore and Ekpe have not proven yet they can ever get pressure on a QB, and behind them we have Kafo, who probably has about 20 career snaps to his name, and Winston D. who hasn't yet seen the field. Weep my friends... our ineptitude with DE recruiting will probably be on full display this season.

I don't know, part of the fun and intrigue of college football is seeing who emerges every year. Each season players seemingly come out of nowhere and contribute or star. Maybe it will be Elmore, maybe the British Bulldog Winston.

There is always talk here about guys developing the first few years and contributing as upperclassmen and now here we have Elmore, a junior, and Ekpe a senior. Claeys seems to think these guys can play. He's forever talking about the offensive line, relatively little about the defense so there's that. With a healthy Richardson, Scott E, and some rotation guys the pressure should pick up this year. Maybe they will go further with the 3-4.

In Elmore's defense, he played a lot of DT last year. Ekpe has the physical gifts he just doesn't seem to have a head for the game. Depth is very inexperienced which is scary. W DeLatt. is our lone hope of finding a speed rusher this year it seems. Another point I feel I should make is we rarely played with a lead last year so we weren't in the situations that generate sacks.

Maybe they will go further with the 3-4.

Are we moving to a 3-4 this year? I keep reading comments like this but don't remember any of the coaches saying anything to that effect. Are people just assuming - er - I mean speculating?

Are we moving to a 3-4 this year? I keep reading comments like this but don't remember any of the coaches saying anything to that effect. Are people just assuming - er - I mean speculating?
Claeys mentioned that certain downs and situations will have our D in a 3-4 scheme.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Weep for defensive end this season, it's the biggest weakness on our entire team. Having to rely on Huff to generate a pass rush is desperation, not a season long solution. Neither is relying on a true freshman LB. The fact is Elmore and Ekpe have not proven yet they can ever get pressure on a QB, and behind them we have Kafo, who probably has about 20 career snaps to his name, and Winston D. who hasn't yet seen the field. Weep my friends... our ineptitude with DE recruiting will probably be on full display this season.

Yes, that guy was supposed to be Tralund Webber. Unfortunately is not here.

I completely disagree. Who cares if you "have to" rely on Huff? He was very effective in a limited role. We aren't going to have a Joey Bosa at end probably, the staff knows, and they are dialing up different solutions to get more pressure on the QB. More 3-4 looks, pressure coming from different spots on the field, who cares as long as it works? We don't need to have a base 4-3, with 4 guys rushing the QB and getting pressure consistently. We just need to pressure the QB consistently. I like the new approach and thought it worked well in the bowl game.

Ekpe has the physical gifts he just doesn't seem to have a head for the game. .
The problem was that he dominated our OL so much last offseason that we expected an All B1G performance and it wasn't close. It wasn't that he doesn't have a head for the game IMO, it was that our OL was terrible. I'm glad I didn't hear about anyone dominating our OL in spring camp.

Top Bottom