Gopher Football is the equivalent to...

RunGopherRun

Reaction score
Badger basketball from a few years back (mostly Dick Bennett ball). Well coached, play great defense, limit possessions, control the complexion of the game, and win ball-games. We might not have the personel other teams have, but we are still finding a way to win. Nothing too fancy, but what we do we do well. I like it.

(Just so we are clear, I did vomit after comparing the Gophers to the Badgers...)

Badger basketball from a few years back (mostly Dick Bennett ball). Well coached, play great defense, limit possessions, control the complexion of the game, and win ball-games. We might not have the personel other teams have, but we are still finding a way to win. Nothing too fancy, but what we do we do well. I like it.

(Just so we are clear, I did vomit after comparing the Gophers to the Badgers...)

BARF!

Good football, ugly basketball.

The Dick Bennett ball that made the final four? I'd take the final four this year!

The Dick Bennett ball that made the final four? I'd take the final four this year!

My point exactly. We aren't flashy, but coach Kill is doing a great job coaching. I couldn't stand watching the Badgers play (still can't, but that's more about Bo Cryin'). BORING! But they won games with inferior talent because they dictated the game. For as dull as they were, nobody can argue that Dick Bennett wasn't a great coach. Coach Kill is doing the same thing on the football side. Idea more of a testament to what a great job Kill is doing.

Barf full analogy.

This is like Karl Malden playing Herb Brooks in "Miracle On Ice" (I like the Kurt Russell version better).

The point is well taken though about the Gophers' improvements under Jerry Kill.

I guess I could have compared them to the UWGB Phoenix of 1993/94 coached by Bennett, but I thought that the Badgers would be an easier comparison for most to make! Maybe I should edit the original post!

I guess I could have compared them to the UWGB Phoenix of 1993/94 coached by Bennett, but I thought that the Badgers would be an easier comparison for most to make! Maybe I should edit the original post!

Yeah. Or delete it.

I don't believe for a minute that this is what Kill and his staff REALLY want to do in the long term. Right now, they are dealing with the personnel they have.

Mitch is playing some decent football the last couple of games and I think he can lead this team to respectability as long as he's at the helm but I don't think he's the type of QB that Limegrover really wants running his offense. They ran some no-huddle/hurry-up offense in the San Jose State game and that was with a RS FR making his first ever start.

It may not be this year and/or it may be due to Mitch getting dinged up at some point but I really think SOMEONE is going to overtake Mitch for the position before he's done playing at Minnesota. Is it Streveler, McKinzy, Croft? I don't know.

I don't believe for a minute that this is what Kill and his staff REALLY want to do in the long term. Right now, they are dealing with the personnel they have.

Mitch is playing some decent football the last couple of games and I think he can lead this team to respectability as long as he's at the helm but I don't think he's the type of QB that Limegrover really wants running his offense. They ran some no-huddle/hurry-up offense in the San Jose State game and that was with a RS FR making his first ever start.

It may not be this year and/or it may be due to Mitch getting dinged up at some point but I really think SOMEONE is going to overtake Mitch for the position before he's done playing at Minnesota. Is it Streveler, McKinzy, Croft? I don't know.

Agreed. But I love that they are still able to pull out games at this point even without a "flashy" offense. Playing to our strengths = good coaching.

Top Bottom