Gopher football conversation on KFAN

Sportsfan24

Reaction score
So as not to hijack a current post I decided to start a new one. There has been conversation on the board in regard to the lack of positive coverage of Gopher sports (football) by the media.

I think Kim’s 10-15 minute appearance today on Paul Allan’s show on KFAN has gone unnoticed.

PA contacted me earlier in the week to ask if Kim would be interested in coming on his show to talk gopher football. PA is making a concerted effort to get "current" gophers on his show during the college football season versus his current cast of characters Jack Brewer and the Fargo flash. He would like to get Kevin Cosgrove on, on a regular basis. I think it was an effort to extend a olive branch on his part. Also of note, the gopher media department (ultimately coach Brewster) approved Kim going on the show.

PA is a friend of mine, while I usually don’t agree with his “takes” on gopher football I do believe that he does understand the value of giving the gophers a presence on his show and is making an honest effort. I hope he sticks with it (making a honest effort).

I’m sure the interview was pod cast, check it out.

nice job

Having PA talk Gopher football cannot be a bad thing. Hopefully, Buffalo wild wings can get him on campus once and a while to do a remote.

I did catch the interview, Kim did a great job. PA sounds like he wants to try and give more Gopher material. I look forward to seeing him follow through, I like PA better than anyone else and really miss Dubay.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Paul Allen suddenly developing an interest in Gopher football and deciding to extend the "olive branch" to Tim Brewster. We have all heard him express his utter disinterest about college sports on many occasions. It has everything to do with the emergence of KSTP as a legitimate threat to KFAN's heretofore unchallenged dominance of the local sports talk radio scene.

They will never admit it, but KFAN is extremely nervous about the efforts of KSTP to make inroads with Gopher fans in all sports. KFAN is finally having to operate in a competitive environment, and their extremely arrogant treatment of their listeners in general, and Gopher fans in particular, is fast coming to an end. It can't come soon enough for me. Barreiro will be the last holdout at KFAN, but eventually he will be forced to come around as well.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Paul Allen suddenly developing an interest in Gopher football and deciding to extend the "olive branch" to Tim Brewster. We have all heard him express his utter disinterest about college sports on many occasions. It has everything to do with the emergence of KSTP as a legitimate threat to KFAN's heretofore unchallenged dominance of the local sports talk radio scene.

They will never admit it, but KFAN is extremely nervous about the efforts of KSTP to make inroads with Gopher fans in all sports. KFAN is finally having to operate in a competitive environment, and their extremely arrogant treatment of their listeners in general, and Gopher fans in particular, is fast coming to an end. It can't come soon enough for me. Barreiro will be the last holdout at KFAN, but eventually he will be forced to come around as well.

For the most part I can't disagree with you but I do believe PA does want talk more gopher football. His stand point is that with his schedule and family life he can't follow college football. I dont agree with that because I manage to hold down a job and be knowledgeable about the nba, NFL, mlb and ncaa football and basketball.

The point is for whatever the reasons behind it, he is reaching out to the program and I believe that is good thing.

For the most part I can't disagree with you but I do believe PA does want talk more gopher football. His stand point is that with his schedule and family life he can't follow college football. I dont agree with that because I manage to hold down a job and be knowledgeable about the nba, NFL, mlb and ncaa football and basketball.

The point is for whatever the reasons behind it, he is reaching out to the program and I believe that is good thing.

During football season, the NFL is his job, not a hobby to follow. Luckily for him, the track season ends on labor day. Doing PBP for any sport should involve major prep during the week (an aside, that is one of the reasons Dave Lee sucks, he might be the worst prepared PBP guy in all of sports). If you notice, his knowledge of the NBA is lacking until the Vikings are done, when he plays major catch-up.

It is good that he will bring in a regular guest from inside the program. It does not matter what his reason is.

During football season, the NFL is his job, not a hobby to follow. Luckily for him, the track season ends on labor day. Doing PBP for any sport should involve major prep during the week (an aside, that is one of the reasons Dave Lee sucks, he might be the worst prepared PBP guy in all of sports). If you notice, his knowledge of the NBA is lacking until the Vikings are done, when he plays major catch-up.

It is good that he will bring in a regular guest from inside the program. It does not matter what his reason is.

PA was definitely on his game for the interview. By the questions he asked it was obvious that he had done some research. I'm a sports freak and I want the guys who get paid to be more knowledgeable than me. PA did himself proud. I would love to have more of it. There is nothing worse than for a host to have a sports celebrity on, then basically phone it in with softball questions.

I heard the interview, Kim did a nice job. I like PA for the most part, I do think that his coverage of Gopher football in the past has been extremely lazy and uninformed though. As long as he's fair and informed in his analysis I will be happy. I do like the fact that he wants to give it another try.

Competition is good, it keeps everyone on their toes. If you're the only station, you can offer the equivalent of a stale boloney sandwich, and say "Eat it or do without". But if you have competition, you have to up your offering.

I'll take PA's word that he wants to do a better job at covering the Gophers. Why wouldn't you want to? I hope Brew and company at least give it a try. I always thought in the past that the KFAN guys rip a team or a coach until they actually have to do an interview with that person, then they kinda lay off a bit. Barreiro is now best buddies with Mason, who he continually ripped on while he was coach.

PA did do a nice job in preparing good questions for Royston.

I remember a few years back when I was driving down to a Thursday night Gopher game and had KFAN on. Barrium said the phone lines were open to discuss the game if there are any Gopher fans out there. Then a snide chuckle. Smarta$$.

I remember a few years back when I was driving down to a Thursday night Gopher game and had KFAN on. Barrium said the phone lines were open to discuss the game if there are any Gopher fans out there. Then a snide chuckle. Smarta$$.

The thing is, there wouldn't be any Gopher fans listening to KFAN. Not only would they not be listening to KFAN for Gopher information, those fans would either be on the way to the game, watching on TV, or listening to the pregame show on WCCO.

So, at a time when Gopher fans would be least likely to listen to KFAN, he says the phone lines are open for Gopher fans, so he can mock them for not calling. Add to that Gopher fans being ridiculed for calling in, no wonder he wouldn't have gotten any calls from Gopher fans.

It also happened a couple of weeks ago when a couple of guys were filling in for PA, I think. They asked where all the Gopher diehards were because they were talking Gopher football (I suggest looking up the dial). Instead of a snide chuckle, they sounded a bit desparate.

I remember Horton being on with PA in June and not a single person mentioned it on this board. I smiled.

F P A

Lord willing, the day will come when Gophers football escapes the oppression of KFAN and the Vikings. This is the only way we will ever achieve any success.

I thought he did a nice job relying on his NFL experience to fill in questions around asking about the team and Kim. If I already didn't have a bad taste in my mouth I might have ignored the cohost who said I didn't know he was a captain, which put PA on the spot and fumbled around. I shut down the podcast since I was kind of embarrassed for him.

I thought he did a nice job relying on his NFL experience to fill in questions around asking about the team and Kim. If I already didn't have a bad taste in my mouth I might have ignored the cohost who said I didn't know he was a captain, which put PA on the spot and fumbled around. I shut down the podcast since I was kind of embarrassed for him.

Well then you missed the part where he said he met with people on the "inside" of gopher football and now wants to spend more time covering the team. He then went on to say something about how he is a forgiving person who is willing to forget past transgressions. He didn't mention anyone or anything specifically that was an affront to his dignity.

I thought that and the fact that Kim mentioned one of the freshmen running backs standing out this summer the two most interesting things from the segment.

Well then you missed the part where he said he met with people on the "inside" of gopher football and now wants to spend more time covering the team. He then went on to say something about how he is a forgiving person who is willing to forget past transgressions. He didn't mention anyone or anything specifically that was an affront to his dignity.

Like I tell my kids all the time - "Don't tell me...show me".

I'm willing to give him a listen, after not listening to him for a LONG time, but it's going to be a short leash.

As long as PA stays far away from Gopher play-by-play. His juvenile style is unlistenable.

Would take PA over Dave Lee ANYDAY! More my dislike of Dave Lee as a play by play guy. I listened to the podcast today. I loved it. PA with a sincere, real talk about Gopher football. Wants to get other guys on and change his approach with Gopher football. Hope he gets Horton and Cosgrove/Lee on. Kim did great and sounds like a great rep for the team. Kim's Dad deserves props for getting after PA to do this. Nicely done all the way around.

Would take PA over Dave Lee ANYDAY! More my dislike of Dave Lee as a play by play guy. I listened to the podcast today. I loved it. PA with a sincere, real talk about Gopher football. Wants to get other guys on and change his approach with Gopher football. Hope he gets Horton and Cosgrove/Lee on. Kim did great and sounds like a great rep for the team. Kim's Dad deserves props for getting after PA to do this. Nicely done all the way around.

Thanks for the complement but in all fairness it was PA's idea, he approached me. PA and the Gophers media relation folks worked it out from there.

I would love to hear one of the coaches on (any willing radio station) a weekly basis during the season talking Gopher football. Maybe they could bring a player or two with them, it would give fans a chance to know these youngmen. I believe this town is ready for serious non agenda based conversation on Gopher football.

My point being that while Dave Lee is awful, I have just as low an opinion of PA's play-by-play skills....To be honest, the only time I ever hear Dave Lee is on the postgame shows. I go to every home game and watch the roadies on tv...It is comical to hear his touchdown calls on the postgame. We always laugh when the cannon goes off and he makes the call about 5 seconds later.

Lord willing, the day will come when Gophers football escapes the oppression of KFAN and the Vikings. This is the only way we will ever achieve any success.

It will never happen... This is a Vikings state. Thats not dissing the gophers, but the vikings will always be first on the news. always.

1. Vikings 2. Vikings 3. Vikings 4. Twins 5. Wild 6. Gophers 7. Other 999. Timberwolves :(.... Thats to bad cuz im still a timberwolves fan. Thick and thin.. Well thats for all these teams

Also, I was listening to this interview and I was kinda shocked by a certain question. PA asked how much will they miss Nate Triplett now that he's with the vikings. He also mentioned something about Eric Decker being gone. Why Nate? Why not Campbell, Lawrence, Small, and Brown? who were all captains last year? I see why he said somethin about Decker because he was the best player on the team last year hands down. I think it was because Nate is now a Viking and unlike Marcus Sherel (i might of spelled his last name wrong) he has a chance to make the team (not counting the practice squad). I could be totally off base here. Thats my opinion.

It will never happen... This is a Vikings state. Thats not dissing the gophers, but the vikings will always be first on the news. always.

1. Vikings 2. Vikings 3. Vikings 4. Twins 5. Wild 6. Gophers 7. Other 999. Timberwolves :(.... Thats to bad cuz im still a timberwolves fan. Thick and thin.. Well thats for all these teams

I don't agree. The Packers are 10 times bigger than the Vikes in Wisconsin and a not too distant 2nd in Minnesota. Wisconsin also has the Buck and Brewers yet the media has time to actually cover the Badgers in the newspaper and on the radio.

Top Bottom