Gopher Fan Bill of Rights

GraniteCityGopher

Drive-By Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this is a rehashing of old concerns and gripes, but after the first game this year, it seems like same ol, same ol, without any attempt to fix some game experience issues - some new ones showed up as pointed out by others. While some issues are minor, others are bigger and really distract from enjoying Gopher Football. And, given the response to pass communications, I don't know whether this if the correct forum, but perhaps others might add their expectations when attending - prompting a response from the athletic department. So for lack of a better title, here's my bill of rights owed to any fan attending a football game at TCF:

1. First and foremost its a football game - anything that distracts from enjoying the game is unneeded and should be eliminated. (See 3 & 4 below):
2. All fans should be able to hear the PA announcer, not cringing due to volume. Likewise, its college football, all fans should be able to hear the band - often way too soft! Probably a function of seating (second deck, visitor's side)
3. Fans should not be bombarded with ads and promotions - we've paid for a seat to watch a football game - the U's end of the bargain is some entertainment, not annoyance! Often the game has the feeling of one long PSA with a little football thrown in. When the PA announcer says, "Hey Gopher fans, its time for ..." it never is!
4. All fans should be able to get a second chance to see a play that was missed. Yes, all plays, even the controversial ones, like questionable targeting plays. There is absolutely no rational reason to show year-old file footage after a questionable call instead of the available stadium shot. If I could see it from my couch, I should be able to see it at the stadium. Why not show the rule - allowing the fans to consider that the refs saw something different.
5. Big video boards should show in-game and related content, including highlights from other venues, not reluctant kissers and people emulating Disney characters. Easily one of the saddest disappointments of what was once promoted as one of the biggest boards in college football. The board on the west side could just as aptly be placed on 35W as it has as much advertising as football related information.

Well, really didn't get wound up, but some issues I think prevent a Gopher game day from being a really special event. Other thoughts?

4. All fans should be able to get a second chance to see a play that was missed. Yes, all plays, even the controversial ones, like questionable targeting plays.

If the U wants to encourage fans to enjoy watching the game from their own couch rather than buying a ticket to see the game live, keep doing things like this.

Sorry but the lion king bit doesn't get old for me.

Punt pass and kick competition is technically a distraction but I like the tradition

Love the music break between 3rd and 4th quarters.

Agree about replays.

I want to see a good team, if we have to sell some in game advertising and put logos on the jerseys to raise money to build facilities, I'm for it.

That comes off as pretty snotty and entitled. You bought a ticket... not ownership of the video board / team.

I like the stuff about the replays but otherwise I don't think the advertising is that bad / it's money for the program. They kinda need that and your donation isn't enough.

Feel free to go buy some Vikings tickets (don't forget the seat license) and see if you like it...

Hate for the kiss cam and little gopher thing kinda seals the deal, this list is the worst.

Hate for the kiss cam and little gopher thing kinda seals the deal, this list is the worst.

I brought a friend from Boston to a Twins game one time and when they did the kiss cam bit I could tell it was making him uncomfortable. When they got done with the bit he said to me, "you'd never see that in Boston."

I brought a friend from Boston to a Twins game one time and when they did the kiss cam bit I could tell it was making him uncomfortable. When they got done with the bit he said to me, "you'd never see that in Boston."

No fun in Boston or something? What does that even mean?

Breaks in the action are a time to grab a beer, go to the bathroom, talk to those in your group. Who cares what goes on during the breaks. Better than silence.

boston people think they a tuff guys. real reason no kiss cam...rampant simplex 1

Where's the clause for a well regulated militia? Bring back Cannon Man!

If the U wants to encourage fans to enjoy watching the game from their own couch rather than buying a ticket to see the game live, keep doing things like this.

At least I can fast forward through commercials at home. At the game tv timeouts are the worst part of being there...

3. Fans should not be bombarded with ads and promotions - we've paid for a seat to watch a football game - the U's end of the bargain is some entertainment, not annoyance! Often the game has the feeling of one long PSA with a little football thrown in. When the PA announcer says, "Hey Gopher fans, its time for ..." it never is!

5. Big video boards should show in-game and related content, including highlights from other venues, not reluctant kissers and people emulating Disney characters. Easily one of the saddest disappointments of what was once promoted as one of the biggest boards in college football. The board on the west side could just as aptly be placed on 35W as it has as much advertising as football related information.

Nix the increase in donations next year. Slash advertising revenue. Gophers will end that championship drought in no time!

Perhaps this is a rehashing of old concerns and gripes, but after the first game this year, it seems like same ol, same ol, without any attempt to fix some game experience issues - some new ones showed up as pointed out by others. While some issues are minor, others are bigger and really distract from enjoying Gopher Football. And, given the response to pass communications, I don't know whether this if the correct forum, but perhaps others might add their expectations when attending - prompting a response from the athletic department. So for lack of a better title, here's my bill of rights owed to any fan attending a football game at TCF:

1. First and foremost its a football game - anything that distracts from enjoying the game is unneeded and should be eliminated. (See 3 & 4 below):
2. All fans should be able to hear the PA announcer, not cringing due to volume. Likewise, its college football, all fans should be able to hear the band - often way too soft! Probably a function of seating (second deck, visitor's side)
4. All fans should be able to get a second chance to see a play that was missed. Yes, all plays, even the controversial ones, like questionable targeting plays. There is absolutely no rational reason to show year-old file footage after a questionable call instead of the available stadium shot. If I could see it from my couch, I should be able to see it at the stadium. Why not show the rule - allowing the fans to consider that the refs saw something different.

Well, really didn't get wound up, but some issues I think prevent a Gopher game day from being a really special event. Other thoughts?

Ah yes, football in 1960. Back when the Gophers were national champions and money didn't rule sports.

Speaking of replays -- and we'd all like to have more of them -- I wish they would use the video board to do a round-up of out-of-town game highlights. Just once during the game. I'll bet there's a service that does that for stadiums (or stadia if you prefer). I love going to Gopher home games, but I hate missing the dozen or so games on TV.

Ah yes, football in 1960. Back when the Gophers were national champions and money didn't rule sports.

Speaking of replays -- and we'd all like to have more of them -- I wish they would use the video board to do a round-up of out-of-town game highlights. Just once during the game. I'll bet there's a service that does that for stadiums (or stadia if you prefer). I love going to Gopher home games, but I hate missing the dozen or so games on TV.

After watching football this past weekend, it was evident that replays were being shown by the reaction of the fans. Even rule interpretations were shown. Does the Big10 have a rule against showing controversial calls with replays?

How about having the BTN show the MN/INST game instead of ESPN News? ESPN News requires an extra subscription cost.
Rutgers/Howard is on the BTN at the same time.

The PA announcer has been excruciatingly loud and annoying for years and you are right, we can hardly hear the band. Deep six the commercials.

No fun in Boston or something? What does that even mean?

You will rarely meet a people with a stick shoved further up their butt.

Com'on Slab, snooty for going to a Gopher football game and expecting to see a football game. I know I didn't foot much of the bill for the stadium, but those of us (I suspect you're among us) that show up week after week to see college football shouldn't be treated to WWF or worse. Haven't we accommodated the "family" crowd enough already! I'm not talking dad and son, or daughter, but "family entertainment" on the scale of Chucky Cheese! Chasing the marginal customer while annoying or pi$$ing-off the core fans isn't good for the game. And, no, I'll pass on the Vikings - the thrust of my "Bill" is that I don't want to see the college game go the way of the pros - last Queens game I attended I walked away with a terrible headache and can't tell you who they played, let alone whether they won or lost. Monikers - I'm not advocating 60's football, but then I don't buy the "there's so much money in the game now that everything is different" argument some make. I'm advocating that the U do some things differently. Treat the fans as fans, with respect from the moment we drive into the parking lot to the time we leave, appreciate the fact that we got off our couches to be part of the day and show us college football, lots of college football without the annoying ads and PSAs, and heck I don't care if the 5/6 time dance team performs (but why didn't the women's hockey team slap some around). Those few changes alone would separate U football from every other game in town. Imagine a game when you hear, "hey Gopher fans, its time to bring you up to date with scores from around the Big Ten and the Top 25, check out the video board at the west end of the stadium for highlights!"

just stop playing Sweet Caroline.

I like the song, but it is creepy (about Caroline Kennedy as a child). "Reaching out, touching me, touching you..." and "How can I hurt when I'm holding you"

okay Neil...

How about having the BTN show the MN/INST game instead of ESPN News? ESPN News requires an extra subscription cost.

Are you not able to attend, OldDoc?

Or you could go to the game? The ten bucks for the channel is cheaper than,a ticket. Well maybe not all Tucker's it us Indiana State.

Nix the increase in donations next year. Slash advertising revenue. Gophers will end that championship drought in no time!

$$$$=success. This is what has always endeared me to amateur sports :clap:

Com'on Slab, snooty for going to a Gopher football game and expecting to see a football game. I know I didn't foot much of the bill for the stadium, but those of us (I suspect you're among us) that show up week after week to see college football shouldn't be treated to WWF or worse. Haven't we accommodated the "family" crowd enough already! I'm not talking dad and son, or daughter, but "family entertainment" on the scale of Chucky Cheese! Chasing the marginal customer while annoying or pi$$ing-off the core fans isn't good for the game. And, no, I'll pass on the Vikings - the thrust of my "Bill" is that I don't want to see the college game go the way of the pros - last Queens game I attended I walked away with a terrible headache and can't tell you who they played, let alone whether they won or lost. Monikers - I'm not advocating 60's football, but then I don't buy the "there's so much money in the game now that everything is different" argument some make. I'm advocating that the U do some things differently. Treat the fans as fans, with respect from the moment we drive into the parking lot to the time we leave, appreciate the fact that we got off our couches to be part of the day and show us college football, lots of college football without the annoying ads and PSAs, and heck I don't care if the 5/6 time dance team performs (but why didn't the women's hockey team slap some around). Those few changes alone would separate U football from every other game in town. Imagine a game when you hear, "hey Gopher fans, its time to bring you up to date with scores from around the Big Ten and the Top 25, check out the video board at the west end of the stadium for highlights!"

Not a real cohesive or compelling argument put forth in my opinion. I'm fine with the amount of ads, TV time outs have been a part of the deal for decades, and where my seats are, the announcers sounds just fine. Funny, some complain when and what network channel the Gophs game will be broadcast when they want to watch, then turn around and complain about the TV timeouts when they attend.

They in fact do put score updates on the scoreboard during the game and have almost constant score updates cycling on the chaser scoreboards between the first and second decks. A majority of folks have smart phones as well. I check scores during the breaks and usually have one other game on gamecast on my phone. Oh, I also talk to my gamemates and the folks around me during those breaks.

You will rarely meet a people with a stick shoved further up their butt.

My few encounters with locals of Boston and the immediate area were positive although there seemed to be some pent up hyper shrillness just begging to come out.... I didn't want to find out why.

I have zero direct evidence of this, but I'm willing to bet money that the Kiss Cam has been shown at least one time at a Red Sox/Patriots/Bruins/Celtics game...

The only thing that bothers me is the lack of replays. The U will cite a Big Ten rule. Either this rule does not exist or the U is the only program that follows it. I agree that if it can be shown at home, it should be able to be shown at the game.

Top Bottom