Gopher defense

On the first play, Nebraska went to the outside with Martinez and we swarmed it. I knew right then that we came to play.

Defense played a great game. They handcuffed Martinez as well as anyone can. The safety was a thing of beauty.

You are correct. Martinez was corralled all day, better that I've ever seen.
Same. Seems like not that long ago when teams could put in a 3rd string quarterback and run through us like Swiss cheese.

Yep, if you would have told me that Martinez wouldn't cough up the ball to us and we'd give them a short field on a few series, I would have bet a lot of money on Nebraska. They have a lot of playmakers on offense.

Our defense was just swarming. They were getting enough of a rush without blitzing and our DBs have REALLY improved. The plays Nebraska did make were tough. A play action to Allen across the middle is a really difficult thing to stop. The reverse option was a really nice play (watch Jack Gibbens track down one of the fastest players in the Big 10 to save a TD).

The Transfer Portal haul is paying dividends. PJ have recruited DBs & LBs the last two recruiting cycles.

The Transfer Portal haul is paying dividends. PJ have recruited DBs & LBs the last two recruiting cycles.
I wonder if one of the reasons PJ has limited the size of the 2022 recruiting class is to leave lots of space for transfers after this season. There should be lots of dislocation if there is another season of super seniors who want to play one last season but are being moved out at helmet schools to make way for young five stars. Maybe we recruit development guys and seek out plug-and-play transfers in the portal for 2022. I could see some seasoned OL coming in that way.

They knocked the guy out, but I saw a pretty big drop-off from #14 to their other RBs. That was a big turning point in the game.

I wonder if one of the reasons PJ has limited the size of the 2022 recruiting class is to leave lots of space for transfers after this season. There should be lots of dislocation if there is another season of super seniors who want to play one last season but are being moved out at helmet schools to make way for young five stars. Maybe we recruit development guys and seek out plug-and-play transfers in the portal for 2022. I could see some seasoned OL coming in that way.
I think it’s mostly because of the potential of 6th year COVID Seniors…

no one knows how that will shake out…

The Gophers shut down Martinez today.

With the loss that drops Martinez's career record against the Gophers to 3 and 7. Okay, it just feels that way because it seems that Martinez has been there forever.

One thing that particularly impressed me was the DE play. To contain Martinez, your DE's have to commit to NOT using certain pass rush techniques, because they trade the potential for a sack for the creation of an escape route from the pocket. The plan was to permit no such escape routes... Keep Martinez in the pocket, at the cost of generating fewer sacks. The premise of this decision is that Martinez is likelier to beat you with his legs than with his arm. To do that all game long takes discipline and commitment to team defense. WELL DONE!

Jack Gibbons will plan on Sunday’s for someone with that size, instincts and speed he’s just scratching the surface at this point 🥳

One thing that particularly impressed me was the DE play. To contain Martinez, your DE's have to commit to NOT using certain pass rush techniques, because they trade the potential for a sack for the creation of an escape route from the pocket. The plan was to permit no such escape routes... Keep Martinez in the pocket, at the cost of generating fewer sacks. The premise of this decision is that Martinez is likelier to beat you with his legs than with his arm. To do that all game long takes discipline and commitment to team defense. WELL DONE!

I was wondering about that very thing. At first, I was thinking, "Wow. They can't seem to sack him, but he's not hurting us." Then I realized it was exactly what you pointed out; they were squeezing him, pushing the pocket back, but keeping Martinez in front of them. Stouffer kept commenting about Martinez looking "uncomfortable", and not setting his feet, which was causing him to make errant throws. It was a great gameplan, and brilliantly executed by the players.

We might want to consider a similar approach against Mr. Tagovailoa next game.

I was wondering about that very thing. At first, I was thinking, "Wow. They can't seem to sack him, but he's not hurting us." Then I realized it was exactly what you pointed out; they were squeezing him, pushing the pocket back, but keeping Martinez in front of them. Stouffer kept commenting about Martinez looking "uncomfortable", and not setting his feet, which was causing him to make errant throws. It was a great gameplan, and brilliantly executed by the players.

We might want to consider a similar approach against Mr. Tagovailoa next game.
Great player/scheme-specific strategery.

Did the same against GT O...and especially the Auburn D...in the bowl games. That friends is coaching coupled with execution.

The D has to play the same way against Maryland, Northwestern, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, and Wisconsin, and then all GHers will pack their bags for the BIG Championship game. D wins Championships!

Top Bottom