Raheem Layne--Indiana
Javan Hawes--Cincinnnati
Claudin Cherelus--UMass
Brett Kitrell--Ohio U
Jimmie Terry--?
Jakyle Holmes--?

Looks like most of them did OK.
Updates or corrections?

They've definitely landed on their feet. Thanks for compiling, always interesting to see.

Any word on how many of these guys we dropped due to the coaching change?

Those are the guys I worry about / feel for.

Default Gopher de-committs going to............

Hate it watching the Gophers in the Rose Bowl?

Claeys didn't recruit prospects wanted by other Power 5 programs.

Claeys didn't recruit prospects wanted by other Power 5 programs.

Makes a better story when you make an NFL player out of someone no one wanted.
Makes you look really good as a coach.

Nick Saban could never do that.

When TC was fired the class was in the 60-70 ranking on 3 recruiting sites. Visiting was pretty much at a standstill. They had also moved to several JC candidates in efforts to fill out the class.

What about the ones that decommitted before? All were recruited by Claeys.

Its not like these guys are going to top schools either. They are going to top non-P5 and low-end P5 schools. That doesn't translate into climbing to the top of the Big Ten, it translates to staying as the 4th or 5th best of the West. Claeys was at his peak. It was going to tumble from this point on.

That being said, Creamer will now be an All-conference DB for Iowa.

Its not like these guys are going to top schools either. They are going to top non-P5 and low-end P5 schools.

That's not the narrative.

Claeys was at his peak. It was going to tumble from this point on.

Claeys was going to win multiple Big Ten and national championships at Minnesota. It is fun making unproveable statements.

What about the ones that decommitted before? All were recruited by Claeys.

Never said he didn't recruit players wanted by other power 5 programs, just making an observation.

Throw out the three I mentioned above who decommitted when Claeys was still the coach and include the committed Minnesota kids/McLaurin, 9/15 of the Claeys recruits PJ inherited don't have offers from other Power 5 programs. The only iffy one I'm including is Holmes who appeared to have an Arizona St offer but that was from a long time ago. Based off his lack of recent interest, I think he would have already taken that offer if it still stood.

All but 4 of Fleck's recruits have other power 5 offers.

That's not the narrative.

Claeys was going to win multiple Big Ten and national championships at Minnesota. It is fun making unproveable statements.

Then what exactly is your argument? To say that he can recruit like middle to bad P5 schools? Are you just trying to be correct? In that case, good job!

The overall scope is that Claeys couldn't recruit top flight players and his ability to "coach them up" is fairly lame. They almost got beat by Rutgers at home with a senior QB among other close calls that really shouldn't have been. He has been a part of the process from day one with Kill so these ARE his players. Kill's staff did a great job turning the program back to respectable, but Minnesota as a contender is still laughable for Wisconsin and Claeys wasn't going to change that.

Also, the current class isn't great either, but at least Fleck has been able to fill a recruiting class.

Then what exactly is your argument? To say that he can recruit like middle to bad P5 schools? Are you just trying to be correct? In that case, good job!

The narrative is that he didn't compete against other Power 5 schools, nor did he recruit prospects wanted by other Power 5 schools, both of which are demonstrably false. The "middle to bad" part is your nonsense non-sequitur thrown in.

The overall scope is that Claeys couldn't recruit top flight players

Carter Coughlin

and his ability to "coach them up" is fairly lame

Based on what? The most wins since 2003 in his first full season?

They almost got beat by Rutgers at home with a senior QB among other close calls that really shouldn't have been.

"Almost getting beat" and "close calls" are still winning. The margin doesn't matter (for people not pushing a nonsense agenda), what matters is winning games.

but Minnesota as a contender is still laughable for Wisconsin and Claeys wasn't going to change that

Claeys was going to beat Wisconsin every year for 20 years straight. Again, unproveable statements are fun.

Also, the current class isn't great either, but at least Fleck has been able to fill a recruiting class.

Please cite all of the times that Claeys didn't fill a recruiting class.

The narrative is that he didn't compete against other Power 5 schools, nor did he recruit prospects wanted by other Power 5 schools, both of which are demonstrably false. The "middle to bad" part is your nonsense non-sequitur thrown in.

Carter Coughlin

"Almost getting beat" and "close calls" are still winning. The margin doesn't matter (for people not pushing a nonsense agenda), what matters is winning games.

Claeys was going to beat Wisconsin every year for 20 years straight. Again, unproveable statements are fun.

+1000

Didn't you know, close wins are losses and close losses are losses too. If you lose the close games, it means you can't win the big ones. If you win the close games, they shouldn't have been close in the first place.

Some other things to keep in mind.
- 8 regular season wins is both not an accomplishment and an unrealistic expectation.
- When you evaluate an OC and HC's ability to develop a QB, it only makes sense to judge them on a player's development that was developed by a totally different HC, OC, and QB coach.
- Recruiting has nothing to do with the amount of talent in the program.

It's really not the complicated guys.

Didn't you know, close wins are losses and close losses are losses too. If you lose the close games, it means you can't win the big ones. If you win the close games, they shouldn't have been close in the first place.

- 8 regular season wins is both not an accomplishment and an unrealistic expectation.
- When you evaluate an OC and HC's ability to develop a QB, it only makes sense to judge them on a player's development that was developed by a totally different HC, OC, and QB coach.

NM

Really do like that one!

You forgot one.
We under-performed last year compared of the talent we had, while this year we will have no talent so expectations should be tempered

When TC was fired the class was in the 60-70 ranking on 3 recruiting sites. Visiting was pretty much at a standstill. They had also moved to several JC candidates in efforts to fill out the class.

Until the last week or so, GTech and Iowa sat below the Gophs with commits in the low teens. Right now Utah, TCU, ASU, Miss, and Cal all still sit below the Gophs with commits in the low to mid teens. Having a "full" class early is no indication of how well the recruiting is going if the school is not a top 10-15 program.

Spot on. Now that it is confirmed that Fleck said that this is not a rebuild and his expectation is to build on the results of 2016, I'm wondering what the Hire PJ crowd will come up with to tamp down expectations...other than maybe...you know..."NM"

Carter Coughlin

Excellent points. Now get over it, he's not coming back unfair or not.

Spot on. Now that it is confirmed that Fleck said that this is not a rebuild and his expectation is to build on the results of 2016, I'm wondering what the Hire PJ crowd will come up with to tamp done expectations...other than maybe...you know..."NM"

I fully expected Fleck to look at his team and tell them they are no better than 6 wins...:rolleyes:

So he lied to them. Got it.

What a coach says in January is always exactly what happens in the fall.

However, I'm sure you'll keep posting your expectations for next season is a minimum of 8 wins in every single thread even when that thread doesn't pertain to next season. Just like you've done 100 times already.

What a coach says in January is always exactly what happens in the fall.

However, I'm sure you'll keep posting your expectations for next season is a minimum of 8 wins in every single thread even when that thread doesn't pertain to next season. Just like you've done 100 times already.

Side-step.

If expectations come up, regardless of the thread, you are correct. Pretty sure PJ agrees with me, so I'm good. Like him quite a bit more for saying it.

I know a win is a win, but I just don't understand how so many people think last year was such a great success based on the 9-4 record.

The Gophers were 8-5 in 2014 and had wins over Nebraska, Iowa and Michigan. The schedule also included TCU, Ohio State and Michigan. I thought 2014 was much more successful than the 9-4 team in 2016. Why? Because the actually won some trophy game/rivalry games. The 2016 Gophers were 9-4 but still finished 4th in the division because they couldn't beat Wisconsin, Nebraska or Iowa. Fans will never get excited unless you can start winning these trophy games more frequently.

You can go 6-3 in the conference every year and 9-3 overall, but unless you start beating your rivals, you are never going to be the best. So while winning games is important, you also need to win your rivalry/trophy games to get fans excited. Attendance was horrible at the Iowa game this year especially considering it was the only premier home game on the schedule.

I think PJ will be very successful if he can consistently win 8 or 9 games with an occassional 10 win season and beat your rivals on a more consistent basis. You are not going to beat Iowa, Nebraska or Wisconsin each year but you should be able to beat them once every two years, especially at home. I am fine with 8 wins if you can beat a WI, IA or Nebraska consistently. 8 wins is disappointing if you lose to WI, IA and Nebraska in the same season. That is why I was not very impressed with the 9-4 team from 2016. Should have had at least 10 wins in my opinion.

Shouldn't have said that some guys here think it was the best season since 2003.

Top Bottom