Gopher Basketball Portal Money - $1 Million

I think it is semantics…the collective couldn’t pay him but he got money from endorsements.
which is what I thought the original NIL argument was... make money from your endorsements and marketability. not from a slush fund

I think it is semantics…the collective couldn’t pay him but he got money from endorsements.
If there are restrictions on foreign students earning money on student visas what difference would it make if it came from a collective or a national advertiser?

If there are restrictions on foreign students earning money on student visas what difference would it make if it came from a collective or a national advertiser?
I don't remember...exactly what but West Virginia and Huggins found some loophole to pay foreign players and had a bunch lined up....then he got the DUI. I think the company pays a partner like company in the foreign country and then the foreign company pays the parents or agent who pays the player. Something hokey like that.

Asuma has stated he likes playing in MN so his family can drive down to see him play. Should be a lot of NIL money for him to stick around. He has the size for the nba, but I don't think he'll be a prospect like Christie is. Perhaps later but not as a freshman. Excited for Asuma to crack the rotation next season

Asuma has stated he likes playing in MN so his family can drive down to see him play. Should be a lot of NIL money for him to stick around. He has the size for the nba, but I don't think he'll be a prospect like Christie is. Perhaps later but not as a freshman. Excited for Asuma to crack the rotation next season
Different kid. Christie is all about the sweet jumper. Asuma has a much better handle, stronger and I expect will be better defensively. Asuma is also a really crafty finisher. Christie and Asuma would be great together and I hope we get to see it.

IF we can get Christie to stay- I think Asuma, Mitchell and Christie could be a nice backcourt with Garcia and Mitchell as the bigs. We need another big wing (Evans please) another big center (defense and rebounding) and another guard - hopefully a speedy kid- like Speers.

Different kid. Christie is all about the sweet jumper. Asuma has a much better handle, stronger and I expect will be better defensively. Asuma is also a really crafty finisher. Christie and Asuma would be great together and I hope we get to see it.

IF we can get Christie to stay- I think Asuma, Mitchell and Christie could be a nice backcourt with Garcia and Mitchell as the bigs. We need another big wing (Evans please) another big center (defense and rebounding) and another guard - hopefully a speedy kid- like Speers.
Yes different and great points, I just don't see him as an NBA prospect like the previous poster does.

I'm assuming that entering the portal would be grounds for termination of the NIL agreement.

Hawkins' departure is the only one that I'm angry about. Our season ended March 24th and the other Gophers to hit the portal left not very long afterward and none to my knowledge stated they were returning. Hawkins' waited almost a month to enter and did so after saying twice that he would return.
I hate the free for all we now have! I wish that the policy on transfer is one transfer without sitting out. After that they’d have to sit put one year. But Hawkins just changed his mind, a decision he gets to make under the current system.

We just need a wanna be pro sports owner to adopt the Gophers as a consolation prize.

The thing that bothers me most about NIL is that it's not like it's a set number. Especially at Minnesota, I think it's more accurately what the interest / belief in the program is.

The potential NIL at Minnesota is big, there's just not that much interest in the product we have right now.

Sure, we'll never be competing with Duke, Kentucky, Blue Blood, etc. But we can get to that 2nd tier IMO.

So why does football have the money to bring people in and basketball doesn't?
I was thinking that DTA got a nice fat donation and that person indicated he/she wanted it to all go to the football program.

Funny, these metrics of what former gophers players are getting match what I and others were saying and were laughed at. oh well.

Top Bottom