Gopher Basketball Mount Rushmore

Otis

Reaction score
Top 4 Gopher Basketball players of all time.

Who ya got?

Mine:
Jim Brewer
Mychal Thompson
Kevin Mchale
Bobby Jackson

I would agree on Brewer, Thompson and Bobby...the last spot I'd have to give a slight nod to Sweet Lou Hudson over McHale. While McHale was great with the Gophers, he often times is considered a bit better than he was in college due to his NBA career (which Hudson ironically also had a HOF career).

I remember when McHale was named the Gopher "Player of the Century" he was grateful, but said "Player of the Century? I wasn't even the best player on my team, that was Mychal."

Go Gophers!!

I would agree on Brewer, Thompson and Bobby...the last spot I'd have to give a slight nod to Sweet Lou Hudson over McHale. While McHale was great with the Gophers, he often times is considered a bit better than he was in college due to his NBA career (which Hudson ironically also had a HOF career).

I remember when McHale was named the Gopher "Player of the Century" he was grateful, but said "Player of the Century? I wasn't even the best player on my team, that was Mychal."

Go Gophers!!
100%

Of guys I’ve seen play and based just on their Gopher career:
Bobby J
J Murphy

Those two are easy. Tougher after that. I was not alive for the best gopher teams (aside from the Bobby years) and have slogged through coaching changes, scandals and ineptitude

McHale
Burton
Jackson
Thompson

Willie has to be included, IMO, because he was the guy who committed to the program (and honored his commitment once Dutch was fired) when it was at rock bottom, and was the lynchpin to bring us within a basket of a Final Four just 4 years later. Truly one of the elite players in program history.

McHale
Burton
Jackson
Thompson

Willie has to be included, IMO, because he was the guy who committed to the program (and honored his commitment once Dutch was fired) when it was at rock bottom, and was the lynchpin to bring us within a basket of a Final Four just 4 years later. Truly one of the elite players in program history.
Fuk,.ljhng GT..........

I know the younger people on here never saw Sweet Lou, but he was possibly the best all around player I ever saw at the U. Averaged double figures with his off hand when he broke his hand and had to wear a cast on his shooting hand. I would put him with Thompson and Jackson and flip a coin with Brewer, McHale and Burton.

Thompson, Brewer, Hudson and McHale.
Honorable Mentions
1. Willie Burton
2. Bobby Jackson
3. Ray Williams
4. Quincy Lewis
5. Jordon Murphy
6. Randy Breuer

I’m sure I’ve missed a few. It should be interesting to see what other names pop up.

Archie Clark

Best post playing days coaching career would have to be Bud Grant (who also won an NBA championship).

Last edited:

Lindsay Whalen for sure, if the nominations could include her. Whalen was one of the greatest point guards to play the game. Winningest player in WNBA history. Lots of intangibles so important for point guard. Gold medal. Final Four. A sensation.

For the guys, Bud Grant and Kevin McHale.

Honorable mention Gophers woman players:, as an FYI

-Carol Ann (Shudlick) Smith, the Wade Trophy winner (best in all college basketball) and Big Ten Player of the Year. Unstoppable.

-Linda Roberts. Holds team records. Astounding rebounds. 2-time Wade Trophy finalist.

-Rachel Banham. Scored 60 points in one game. Finished college career as the 3rd-highest scorer in women's college basketball history. Many awards. "The Maroon Mamba."

Archie Clark

Best post playing days coaching career would have to be Bud Grant (who also won an NBA championship).

John Kundla’s post playing days career is better than Grant’s, he was 5X NBA Champ as a coach.

Former Gopher basketball player Tony Dungy also has 1 more ring as an NFL coach than Grant does.

Go Gophers!!

I'll stick to guys I remember from their college days. For me, that roughly starts with 1981-82 season. This was really tough picking the last guy. Willie, Bobby, and Vo were no-brainers.

1 Willie Burton
2 Bobby Jackson
3 Voshon Lenard
4 Randy Breuer

Others Considered
Sam Jacobson
Quincy Lewis
Darryl Mitchell
Trent Tucker

Last edited:

According to Jalen Rose, we should not be using the term "Mount Rushmore" to describe all-time greats, and you guys are all racist.

I was thinking the same thing. I thought the term got canceled, no bueno anymore, no?

Oh, and I agree with Hodger above. Pretty much nailed my thoughts as well

According to Jalen Rose, we should not be using the term "Mount Rushmore" to describe all-time greats, and you guys are all racist.

Whats his opinion have to do with this thread ? I like him as a commentator but perhaps we should not use any name given to any geographical place in North America since Native Americans were here first . Good grief the narratives that are out there are ridiculous. Rushmore- Hudson, Mchale, Randy Breuer ,Mychal Thompson.

Not sure his face belongs up on the mountain but based on his freshman year Mark Olberding might have become the g.o.a.t. if only......

Most of the work has already been done… there are 10 jerseys in the rafters. Pick your four.
Hudson, Thompson, Brewer, Burton.

Trent Tucker was too good to be off this list. He was really good.

I have Mycal Thompson, Trent Tucker, Bobby Jackson, and Willie Burton

Ray Williams
Mark Olberding
Mychal Thompson
Bobby Jackson

Not sure his face belongs up on the mountain but based on his freshman year Mark Olberding might have become the g.o.a.t. if only......
I remember meeting Olberding when I was a lowly teenage busboy at a restaurant up around Brainerd. He had a few drinks in him by that time, but he was very nice, gave me an autograph; he was playing for Kansas City in the NBA at the time. Holy shit, that's dating me

Willie Burton, Trent Tucker, Vashon Lenard and Sam Jacobson.

I remember meeting Olberding when I was a lowly teenage busboy at a restaurant up around Brainerd. He had a few drinks in him by that time, but he was very nice, gave me an autograph; he was playing for Kansas City in the NBA at the time. Holy shit, that's dating me
I believe it was my senior year in HS, we played in a holiday tournament at Melrose HS. They had some kind of ceremony (maybe retired his number or something?) at halftime for him in our game against Melrose. He came into our locker room after the game to thank us for our patience because the ceremony had delayed the start of the 2nd half. Seemed like a nice guy.

Jim Brewer
Mychal Thompson
Kevin Mchale
Lou Hudson

Top Bottom