Gopher Basketball better off playing in the NIT this year!!!!....................

The thing is if we are to get a bid in the NIT we don't know if we make a run or not, we could just as easily be a one and done as making a run which is why you would take an NCAA bid any day over NIT but if you make a 4-5 game run then i would take NIT any day over one and done NCAA. During our NIT run 2 years ago was when i was the most engaged with gopher basketball during that entire season, i almost had a heat attack when Coleman turned it over to force OT against washington and also late in the game against MTSU. I can't say i felt like that for any other game in the regular season.

This is a good point. I had totally forgotten Iowa made a run last year in the NIT. Oh yeah, this was because they were in the NIT

the NIT has a lot of decent to good teams. There are plenty of teams that went .500 or above in BCS conferences that play in the NIT, Iowa went 9--9 last year in the best conference in the nation, the Stanford team that we lost to 2 years ago was 2 above .500 in the pac 12, hell even Washington went 14-4 and won the pac 12 and they played in the NIT, all would of whom crush most of the auto bids in the NCAA. There aren't any great teams but plenty of ver solid teams and nobody that makes the NIT would i consider a "conference cupcake" like Penn State or Nebraska last year.

Far more people will be watching each of the first two rounds of the tournament than the NIT final. To suggest that an NIT run will give the Gophers greater exposure is completely ludicrous.

The thing is if we are to get a bid in the NIT we don't know if we make a run or not, we could just as easily be a one and done as making a run which is why you would take an NCAA bid any day over NIT but if you make a 4-5 game run then i would take NIT any day over one and done NCAA. During our NIT run 2 years ago was when i was the most engaged with gopher basketball during that entire season, i almost had a heat attack when Coleman turned it over to force OT against washington and also late in the game against MTSU. I can't say i felt like that for any other game in the regular season.

"We're number 69" has a good ring to it if we make a run in the NIT and win it all. On second thought, not so much...

The NIT is better than nothing, but not as good as making the NCAA tournament, even if you lose in the first round. The Barn will be empty for an NIT game.

The only reason the NIT argument could potentially be valid is that the probability of the team practicing together with the coaching staff and getting in game experience later in the year and into March is in the NIT and not the dance.

If you believe that is more important than the confidence and experience garnered by playing 1 or 2 tournament games in the dance then you would say NIT. I personally do not.

Can we all agree that this will be last dumb thread that brings this idiotic argument up?

Thats not the point. The point is that they used their momentum from the end of last season and carried it over and used to the beginning of the next season very successfully.

If you want to call a half season of great play before the wheels come off and a tourney win over an uninterested group of underachievers momentum, to each his own I guess.

If you want to call a half season of great play before the wheels come off and a tourney win over an uninterested group of underachievers momentum, to each his own I guess.

a national championship the previous year wouldn't have had brought enough momentum to stop the wheels from coming off eventually. The point is that i believe that what we did 2 years ago brought more excitement and energy going into last season then a one and done would have.

a national championship the previous year wouldn't have had brought enough momentum to stop the wheels from coming off eventually. The point is that i believe that what we did 2 years ago brought more excitement and energy going into last season then a one and done would have.

Can you point to any recruiting success that resulted from the NIT run? I can assure you Amir Coffey and other blue chip players aren't impressed with perennial NIT appearances. A one and done in the NCAA at least leaves the impression that a program is headed in the right direction.

There's no evidence to support the 15-1 start in 2012 having anything to do with what they did 8 months earlier in an also ran tournament. Don't get me wrong. If they have to settle for the NIT, I'll support the team, but I'll be disappointed.

But missing the tournament hurts recruiting, and recruiting helps the future of the program infinitely more than any excitement from an NIT run. Every kid dreams of playing in the NCAA tournament. Being able to say you've gone x years in a row helps recruiting. The higher that number, the more it helps.

Can you point to any recruiting success that resulted from the NIT run? I can assure you Amir Coffey and other blue chip players aren't impressed with perennial NIT appearances. A one and done in the NCAA at least leaves the impression that a program is headed in the right direction.

There's no evidence to support the 15-1 start in 2012 having anything to do with what they did 8 months earlier in an also ran tournament. Don't get me wrong. If they have to settle for the NIT, I'll support the team, but I'll be disappointed.

I may add also that momentum is something that is sustained over a long period of time and has a snowballing effect in terms of recruiting, support for facility upgrades, etc. That hasn't happened imo.

I was at the Gopher - Maryland first round NIT game a few years back and before the game, the student section was heckling Greivis Vasquez. Before he was about to go back into the locker room after warm ups, he walked over near the student section and so eloquently stated "It's the f&^#ing NIT, nobody gives a f&^#."

A first round tourny exit >>>> any kind of NIT run.

How so? Many said the NIT run was when Rodney found himself. He proceeded to lay an egg his senior season and really proved that he couldn't play at a high level while sharing the court with Trevor. I fail to see the momentum that carried over. I saw a team that won a huge game against MSU to open the conference season and then smoked an incredibly overrated Illinois team on the road before the wheels came off. Their ranking was largely a result of beating overrated teams and the computers loving their non conference schedule full of mediocre but not terrible teams.

I think it could better be stated thusly:

If you had to choose, would you rather see the Gophers:
1. Lose in the 1st round of the NCAA? or
2. win 4 or 5 games in the NIT?

I understand the NCAA has the prestige factor -but from my perspective, I like seeing the Gophers win games. So, I would rather see them go on an NIT run as opposed to going 1-and-done in the NCAA.

Now, if you can guarantee me a 1st-round NCAA victory, then I take the NCAA over the NIT any day.

I understand the NCAA has the prestige factor -but from my perspective, I like seeing the Gophers win games. So, I would rather see them go on an NIT run as opposed to going 1-and-done in the NCAA.

Now, if you can guarantee me a 1st-round NCAA victory, then I take the NCAA over the NIT any day.

I find it odd that you don't value recruiting, but to each their own I guess.

I'll bet if you ask Pitino if he'd rather have an NIT title, or a one and done in the NCAA, he'd take the latter any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

I'd take the 1st round NCAA loss and the NCAA tournament exposure every time.

Top Bottom