Gopher Bar in Madison, Wi?

cemba99

Bruce Smith for Governor
Reaction score
I realize it is sacrilege and everything else, but my wife is running the Madison Marathon this Sunday so we are Badgertown for the weekend. Any spot at all that might be a safe haven for a Gopher jersey on gameday? (Besides my hotel room.)

FYI - Wisconsin plays at home against BYU, starting at 2:30p (Gophers, of course, start at 11a)

An old thread indicated that Wilson's might be a good place to watch a Gopher basketball game, could not find any reference to a football place.

Thanks

Does your wife know that the race is from one end of the Madison Business and Development District to the other? Does she know it only takes 48 seconds?

Hope that didn't screw up her training. I would start out fast. Here's a pic from last year's race. The kid on the left won:

getLarge

I lived there for 6 years (2002 to 2008) and I never found a true Gopher bar. Best to stay kind of far away from bars near Camp Randall(on Regent or Monroe St) if they play at 2:30 and you want to watch the 11 AM game. They'll be absolutely packed and hard to watch a game.

Assuming you're staying downtown, I'd go to State Street Brats if you're on the west side of the capital or Madison's if you're on the east side of the capital.

You can go to any bar because they'll all be full of Badger fans. There are no Gopher bars anywhere in Dane County. I'd almost suggest just going to a downtown bar with the rest of the Badger gameday crowd. You probably won't get heckled or anything since they aren't playing the Gophers, in fact you may even get some friendly conversations about how the Gophers actually look decent and it might be a game at TCF in a few weeks.

Side note: I'm also running the Madison marathon, but I will be watching the Gopher game from the comfort of my own couch.

When I go to Madison now I make sure my 6'4" 230 LB son is along. A good option versus a knife or a gun. Hmmm, where do you find a place and can have a amicable conversation with a Becky fan?

I lived there for 6 years (2002 to 2008) and I never found a true Gopher bar. Best to stay kind of far away from bars near Camp Randall(on Regent or Monroe St) if they play at 2:30 and you want to watch the 11 AM game. They'll be absolutely packed and hard to watch a game.

Assuming you're staying downtown, I'd go to State Street Brats if you're on the west side of the capital or Madison's if you're on the east side of the capital.

Brats is a good choice. Lots of tvs, a good mix of fans, and far enough from Camp Randall that it won't be too much of an insane asylum.

To the OP, how did your wife do? It was a great day for the race. I saw a number of Gopher fans and I even yelled out "Go Gophers! 8-2" to one of them.

Thanks for asking - wife did well, but the real accomplishment of the day was by a longtime friend - after fourteen years of running marathons he qualified for his first Boston Marathon today!

As for the bar choice - thanks for the suggestion to go to State Street Brats. Had a great time! Minimal razzing about my gopher gear - turned into a good conversation starter. Seemed to be the only one in the bar that was following the Gopher game with any interest, but that's fine.

In fact the only other game that got any cheers (besides the Badger-BYU game of course) was the Ole Miss - Arkansas game. Some of the guys I was sitting with hate Bielema bad enough that they will root for whoever Arkansas is playing...

Thanks for asking - wife did well, but the real accomplishment of the day was by a longtime friend - after fourteen years of running marathons he qualified for his first Boston Marathon today!

As for the bar choice - thanks for the suggestion to go to State Street Brats. Had a great time! Minimal razzing about my gopher gear - turned into a good conversation starter. Seemed to be the only one in the bar that was following the Gopher game with any interest, but that's fine.

In fact the only other game that got any cheers (besides the Badger-BYU game of course) was the Ole Miss - Arkansas game. Some of the guys I was sitting with hate Bielema bad enough that they will root for whoever Arkansas is playing...

Regarding the Boston qualifying, that's awesome! And all Badger fans hate Arkansas enough to cheer for anyone they are playing. It's a lot like when Favre went to the Vikings, which is odd because I don't think the situations are similar. A local radio station a week or two ago posed the question: What would you rather see happen, Badgers make it to the Rose Bowl or Badgers play Arkansas in a Florida bowl game. You'd be surprised how many people said play Arkansas in a bowl game. Which just seems idiotic to me, for many reasons.

Top Bottom