Gopher Angus Flanagan Qualifies for PGA's Genesis Invitational at Riviera

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Statistically speaking, this week’s Genesis Invitational has the strongest field of any men’s pro tournament to date in 2021. Seven of the top 10 players in the world will be competing at Riviera Country Club outside Los Angeles, along with 30 of the top 50.

And so will Angus Flanagan.

The native of England who plays college golf at the University of Minnesota earned an exemption on Monday into the PGA Tour event by winning the Genesis Invitational Collegiate Showcase. After tying San Francisco’s Tim Widing with a 71 in regulation at Riviera, Flanagan won the playoff on the third extra hole with a birdie.

“It’s pretty surreal,” Flanagan said. “Being able to tee it up against the best in the world, players I’ve looked up to … seeing guys out here that growing up, looking up to, having their pictures on my wall, it is surreal. It’s probably not going to sink in until tomorrow morning when I come back out here and I have my player’s badge.”

This is the seventh year the tournament has reserved a spot for a college player and held a Monday competition to determine the recipient. Past winners of the Showcase have included Wake Forest’s Will Zalatoris (2015) and Texas’ Scottie Scheffler (2018)

Top Bottom