Gopher 22-23 Transfer Portal Needs/Watch List

Grad transfer, eligible to enter at any time and be immediately eligible.
If her AAU program has any connections to the staff I'd reach out to them and see if they'll contact the staff about it. Thats how most of these transfers are started.

So I don’t follow the womens team very closely so I don’t know the state of the program as well… but I do know a current grad transfer looking to possibly enter the portal from a small D1 school. She started most games (from the middle of the year to the final game) for her team as a 6’3 forward who can defend 1-5 and played big minutes down the stretch. Her ppg and rpg stats are not super impressive, but she was a 4-star recruit out of high school. She can stretch the floor and is outstanding from the free throw line.

I’ve been trying to convince her to enter the portal to go to Minnesota but she is still unsure. Is she someone Whalen would be looking at if she entered the portal? I’ve seen the Gophs really strike out a lot recently and I genuinely think the team would need an experienced player like her.
My advice is to have your player go to a school with an experienced coach. This team did not perform well last year and their talent level was far superior than what they currently have on roster for the upcoming 2022-23 season. This team has lost a lot of players to TP and TP players are choosing mid-majors over MN for their transfers. Have her enjoy her last season.

My advice is to have your player go to a school with an experienced coach. This team did not perform well last year and their talent level was far superior than what they currently have on roster for the upcoming 2022-23 season. This team has lost a lot of players to TP and TP players are choosing mid-majors over MN for their transfers. Have her enjoy her last season.
LOL, another predictable post from you

Women's Basketball
BBPC Suite 660
516 15th Avenue SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Main Line: (612) 624-3563
E-Mail: [email protected]

Here's a link to the staff.
https://gophersports.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster#sidearm-roster-coaches

You might find success reaching out to the basketball operations staff as the coaches may be busy at the moment.

Melissa Maines​

• Title Assistant AD/Director of Women's Basketball Operations
  • Email [email protected]
  • Phone 612-626-1668

Garrett Solis​

• Title Assistant Director of Basketball Operations
  • Email [email protected]
  • Phone 612-624-3563

Grad transfer, eligible to enter at any time and be immediately eligible.
She should reach out to the recruiting coordinator or staff person that handles film and inquiries. A stretch 4 that can shoot, a good passer, and has length, never a bad idea. This information should be available on Gophersports. Do some follows on Twitter. You never know, there may end up being mutual interest. Not asking is a bad idea, check it out at least. Ecoperson has the contact info. Don't just highlights, send game film. The inquiry can't hurt. The AAU coach contacting the staff is good idea too. Don't be discouraged by what JD says here. Game film should likely be submitted through former HS or AAU coach. Get a good comparison from HS to the College film.

Last edited:

Grothaus would be a good puckup. I watched a lot of her this year and she’s very consistent.
Pratt would not - She looked OK on a low level mid-major team. But not good.
Rachel Hakes was on my fantasy team this year, and I cut her midway through the year because she could not produce stats. However, she did a lot of the stuff that doesn’t show up in the stats.
Crissy Carr could be a good addition. Don’t like her personally, but on the floor she makes things happen. However, she is a little “me-first” rather than a creator for others.
Olivia Lane - No Way!!!! Moderate talent, too emotional (crying) on the floor. OK for a mid-major player, but not P5 material.

She should reach out to the recruiting coordinator or staff person that handles film and inquiries. A stretch 4 that can shoot, a good passer, and has length, never a bad idea. This information should be available on Gophersports. Do some follows on Twitter. You never know, there may end up being mutual interest. Not asking is a bad idea, check it out at least. Ecoperson has the contact info. Don't just highlights, send game film. The inquiry can't hurt. The AAU coach contacting the staff is good idea too. Don't be discouraged by what JD says here. Game film should likely be submitted through former HS or AAU coach. Get a good comparison from HS to the College film.
You must be an expert so I noticed you criticized Olivia Lane about crying gee was that the time she left the game with a high ankle sprain and then came back dominated I also will add played the rest the season or was it the time her finger broke but once again finished game. It’s easy to judge but until you know the facts you need to
Look at the big picture. Olivia was offered many power 5 scholarships and now has committed. I’m sure all the school were looking at her not only for her athletic ability but a player that led the summit Leugue in rebounds but hey only a mid major player write?so how SDSU end up in the WNIT I think we both know or gee look at USD in the NCAA sweet 16 but hey they have average players because they play mid majors lol.

Stats don’t lie, but if you and maybe you do have a kid playing college ball kinda offensive especially when there judged by a wanna bee. So what would you do sit back I doubt it. People should be careful what they say all these athletes are good or they wouldn’t be playing at the level they are. So once again it’s easy to judge, it’s easy to criticize but no athlete deserves this as they all work hard. So I guess I just responded to post if I responded to wrong person I do apologize but one thing I won’t is backing up my kid period. I think the person go by gopher357 or something like that I just assume they never played at the next level just an expert from watching in the stands. I do wish the Gophers good luck as Lynsey is a legend and has done a good job recruiting local talent.

You must be an expert so I noticed you criticized Olivia Lane about crying gee was that the time she left the game with a high ankle sprain and then came back dominated I also will add played the rest the season or was it the time her finger broke but once again finished game. It’s easy to judge but until you know the facts you need to
Look at the big picture. Olivia was offered many power 5 scholarships and now has committed. I’m sure all the school were looking at her not only for her athletic ability but a player that led the summit Leugue in rebounds but hey only a mid major player write?so how SDSU end up in the WNIT I think we both know or gee look at USD in the NCAA sweet 16 but hey they have average players because they play mid majors lol.
What are you talking about here. I never complained about or called out any players for being hurt or any programs for that matter. You have the wrong guy quoted here. I was only commenting on a player having potential interest in playing for the Gophers. Never said a bad word about SD or South Dakota State. No idea why your @ Me. No expert here. Nothing but respect for women playing the college game at any level. Your a good player, even at smaller schools if you can play college ball. I was actually excited to hear about a potential player at a smaller conference school considering the Gophers. I have never claimed anything but fan status, just know some people that coach high school ball.

Last edited:

I think they were trying to respond at me. Believe me, I totally respect mid-major players, I know there are some very good ones. I had good comments on several players above, and think there are quite a few out there that would be great additions to the Gophers. Yes, Olivia Lane has committed, to Grand Canyon. Not a P5. And the emotional outbursts on the floor happened quite a few times, in the games that I watched. Some of which I was at. Emotions can be very good on the floor, but you need to control them. They can drive players, make them fierce. But if you take them in the wrong direction, it is not good for your team, especially when you’re mad and you run down the court and shoulder into a player and get called for an intentional foul…

Last edited:

I think they were trying to respond at me. Believe me, I totally respect made major players, I know there are some very good ones. I had good comments on several players above, and think there are quite a few out there that would be great additions to the Gophers. Yes, Olivia Lane has committed, to Grand Canyon. Not a P5. And the emotional outbursts on the floor happened quite a few times, in the games that I watched. Some of which I was at. Emotions can be very good on the floor, but you need to control them. They can drive players, make them fierce. But if you take them in the wrong direction, it is not good for your team, especially when you’re mad and you run down the court and shoulder into a player and get called for an intentional foul…
Ok well you guys got thump by SDSU and just to remind you Olivia led the summit in rebounds. I am her dad and former AAU coach. Your correct she chose GCU but had offers to much bigger schools then University of Minnesota. It’s not about the school it’s about the culture and she found a good home we will see who goes further we also we see where Olivia winds up after college then let’s see how you run your mouth. You must be one of these people who never made it to the next level and are an expert on players. Keep the dream up. One thing I can say no matter what you say about my daughter she led all post players in rebounding and was ranked 14 in conference in scoring and top in Nation in rebounding so keep judging.

Ok well you guys got thump by SDSU and just to remind you Olivia led the summit in rebounds. I am her dad and former AAU coach. Your correct she chose GCU but had offers to much bigger schools then University of Minnesota. It’s not about the school it’s about the culture and she found a good home we will see who goes further we also we see where Olivia winds up after college then let’s see how you run your mouth. You must be one of these people who never made it to the next level and are an expert on players. Keep the dream up. One thing I can say no matter what you say about my daughter she led all post players in rebounding and was ranked 14 in conference in scoring and top in Nation in rebounding so keep judging.
You don’t get ranked in NCAA in Nation in rebounding if your soft so her who was ahead of her at Minnesota?

You don’t get ranked in NCAA in Nation in rebounding if your soft so her who was ahead of her at Minnesota?
I apologize, I realize you’re speaking of your daughter. I have watched Olivia several times. She has size, speed, and shooting and rebounding skills. She is a good player, and did well against the teams in the Summit not named South Dakota. Playing alongside Leet, Olivia was clearly the better player, despite Leet’s size. However, the Gophers have a whole different set of problems. They need leadership. They also need someone who can defend against the size and skill of the BIG. And that’s not something I’ve seen from Olivia. I have no doubt that she will do very well at GCU, playing alongside Evan Zars. That team will be a force in their conference, continuing what they started this year.

It's also worth noting that players mature a lot in those final years of high school/first years of college, which are a really challenging time for everyone.

This means that there are 719 still looking to join a team. Given that more than 300 won't find a team when it is all done, that leaves 400 or so to recruit from.

I keep hoping that Lindsay and Ben will pull a rabbit out of the hat. Except that there are only bunnies, mice, and whatever left in the hat. It would be good to see the rosters completed.

I notice that Kadi Sissoko has not signed with a team. Is she tired of school and decided to play pro ball overseas? Even though her play was frustrating at times, she has much potential, especially more than what is left in the hat. If she has a positive attitude, maybe Lindsay should invite her back on the team?

social media follows dont really mean anything but heres a few players the staff followed this week.

social media follows dont really mean anything but heres a few players the staff followed this week.
In order of preference on my part:
Okako
Birna
Sayawni

But they would all be good depth at this point and hope development continues.

In order of preference on my part:
Okako
Birna
Sayawni

But they would all be good depth at this point and hope development continues.
looking at their stats..

I think I'd go

Birna
Okako
Sayawni

just because Birna looks like to be more of a scorer and is a bit taller.. plus a junior so maybe would have 1-2 years left..

but then Okako would be a nice option too looks like she's more of a 3 point shooter along with a good rebounding guard.

Here are a few others I noticed the staff recently started following.

Here are a few others I noticed the staff recently started following.

Excellent!!!

Sonya would be a superb addition, Taylor and Maddie would be great adds too but not so sure about Brynn based on her stats.

How do you tell who someone follows on twitter and how recently?

Last edited:

Excellent!!!

Sonya would be a superb addition, Taylor and Maddie would be great adds too but not so sure about Brynn based on her stats.

How do you tell who someone follows on twitter and how recently?
I noticed these by looking at the coaches profiles on Twitter and looking at who they are following. I believe the more recent additions show up at the top of their list. I have also looked at a players profiles and looked at their followers. I limit it to followers I know.

Are they following any other forwards? Mostly guards listed. However, there are two forwards that whalenfan listed.

According to Raoul, the signing period for 2022s ends next Wednesday. Does that include those in the portal or do they get longer to sign somewhere?

Top Bottom