Gopher 2018-2019 Non-Conference

bball_craz_31

Reaction score
I do apologize if this thread has already been started but I couldn't find it...

Any other gopher season ticket holder get the email yesterday afternoon about the first game?

Friday November 9th vs. New Hampshire-looked on UNH website and its their season opener as well.

so to recap what we know of non-conference

-Nov 9th vs New Hampshire
-Nov 29th vs Syracuse (B1G/ACC challenge)

can add @xavier nov 14 and @boston college dec 9th

So to update:

Nov 9th vs. New Hampshire
Nov 14th @ Xavier
Nov 29th vs. Syracuse (B1G/ACC challenge)
Dec 9th @ Boston College
Dec 22nd vs. Rhode Island (checked their schedule and its December not November)

Also Xavier, Boston College and Rhode Island seem like the completion of the home/home series started last year.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I hope the 8:00 PM start means the volleyball match will start at 7:00 or 6:00 PM. It's a double header for some of us.

I'll be interested to see the RPI rankings of these teams (hint, hint), but I'm excited about the late November matchup with Syracuse. That's a very legitimate team, with all five starters returning from a 22-9 NCAA tourney team. Also, Syracuse has an incoming McD's All-American and a couple of international players. Six straight NCAA tourney appearances for that program. Should give the Gophers a good early season idea of where they're at and where they need to get to.

Good idea by the marketing department to give fans an inexpensive chance to preview this year's squad before the end of the year and get them "hooked". It will be very interesting to see what the spike in attendance will be with the new coach. I'm expecting a large spike. That being said, they'll have to sustain the increase, as fans won't continue to go to games to see the head coach. But some nice crowds this year at Williams will certainly help recruiting. It's always been my opinion that there is enough interest in women's basketball in the state for this program to be consistently in the top 10 or top 15 in the nation in home attendance.

Thus far, Syracuse is the class of last season's NCAA RPI (a reminder: Minnesota's final RPI was 36 with a SOS of 75):

41 Syracuse
181 New Hampshire
209 Boston College
224 Xavier
334 Rhode Island

Thanks, Iggy. No one can say that you can't pick up on a hint. Not much of a schedule, so far.

Unfortunately most teams only have a few home and homes and stollings had em set up with her typical scheduling with terrible teams. With no preseason tournament on the schedule its probably not going to be a great one.

Last edited:

Adding the Falcons:

Thus far, Syracuse is the class of last season's NCAA RPI (a reminder: Minnesota's final RPI was 36 with a SOS of 75):

41 Syracuse
181 New Hampshire
209 Boston College
224 Xavier
288 Air Force
334 Rhode Island

No thanksgiving tournament this year and other 5 games are Home vs San Diego, Home vs Arkansas Pine Bluff, Home vs Cornell, Home vs Incarnate Word and Home vs Coppin St.

Yikes..that SOS will be brutal.

Adding the Falcons:

41 Syracuse
181 New Hampshire
209 Boston College
224 Xavier
288 Air Force
334 Rhode Island

This schedule looks worse than last year’s NC schedule which almost kept them out of the NCAA’s. Not sure if the 2 extra BIG games will help their RPI as I’m not seeing any BIG women’s team with a great NC schedule. Still looking forward to the season but I hope someone addresses scheduling next year( not sure how long previous coaching staff affects scheduling)

Sadly this was expected. I'm not 100% sure but that san diego game might also be the end of a home and home since they played in sd last year. Xavier, Boston College, Rhode Island, and San Diego are just garbage home and homes scheduled by Stollings.

Last edited:

Creampuffs, cupcakes, and Little Sisters of the Poor. I don't think the current regime can be blamed for this DIII-like schedule, but if they want to become a nationally-prominent program under Whalen, they'll definitely have to ramp up their schedule, hopefully starting next year. With a non-conference schedule like this, I wouldn't expect the NCAA tournament selection committee to cut them any favors in March. Hopefully, they won't be on the bubble, as that may not end well. On a more positive note, lots of Sunday home conference games. That should mean that the ladies should be playing in front of some large crowds as the season progresses. And despite my comments, I'm also still really looking forward to the season. Hopes are high.

I wonder if this is why the NC schedule wasn’t announced until the BIG schedule was released? Not much there to hi light on its own

Top Bottom