Good work Tubby

jags1998

Reaction score
Call me a cool aid drinker if you want but I like - love - how Coach Smith has held this team together. He's missing 3 guys who would be playing (has anyone mentioned that this year?). :) He's taken what he has and has gotten them to 20 wins. The guy can coach - for whatever reason - he gets it done. We may lose tomorrow (NO!!) but the guy can coach. Fire away.

Call me a cool aid drinker if you want but I like - love - how Coach Smith has held this team together. He's missing 3 guys who would be playing (has anyone mentioned that this year?). :) He's taken what he has and has gotten them to 20 wins. The guy can coach - for whatever reason - he gets it done. We may lose tomorrow (NO!!) but the guy can coach. Fire away.

WTF? We've underachieved badly this year.

Easily his best coaching job of his career regardless of what happens tomorrow. This team was dead and gone after the first Michigan game.

WTF? We've underachieved badly this year.

Horrible post. We had the same B10 record as last year with the same team as last year but with Nolen gone and distractions left and right. How is that "underachieving badly?"

Instead of WTF can you tell me why? Obviously I disgree, but tell me why.

Well, look at Michigan State and look at us. Two almost evenly matched teams, yet MSU has a share of the Big Ten title and we're still fighting to get into the tournament.

Well, look at Michigan State and look at us. Two almost evenly matched teams, yet MSU has a share of the Big Ten title and we're still fighting to get into the tournament.

Really?
What PG did MSU lose for the year?
What high minute #4 man did MSU lose for the year?
What high minute #3 man did MSU lose for the year?

If he gets this team to the NCAA's after everything it's been through it will be an epic coaching job. As it is, it's mighty impressive either way.

And the #5 most "unlucky" team in the country. You can't coach luck.

Pomeroy has MSU as the #23 team in the country and us as the #28 team in the country.

So you think we are as good (or almost as good) as MSU overall...you quote that we are #28...but that is greatly underachieving to you. And this of course is evidence that Tubby hasn't done a good job.

Not following the logic.

So you think we are as good (or almost as good) as MSU overall...you quote that we are #28...but that is greatly underachieving to you. And this of course is evidence that Tubby hasn't done a good job.

Not following the logic.

Did we have the results or W/L record of the #28 team in the country?

No, our RPI will still just be in the 60s after today.

But I disagree. So this ain't gonna end. I don't think we're #28 with the way the system works ... Right now, maybe .... I'm getting a headache. We have three top minute guys wearing street clothes. Where is that in the rankings?

Plinnius is correct - we have underachieved big time this year.

And we almost blew it by playing stall-ball with 4 minutes to play tonight.

Go look at the performance of Dev and Colton tonight. Then think about what their time on court has been during most of the year.

If we lose tomorrow, we should be sweating bullets and have no room to whine Sunday late afternoon.

"If he gets this team to the NCAA's after everything it's been through it will be an epic coaching job. As it is, it's mighty impressive either way."

Come on.. that's ridiculous beyond all belief. We should be talking about whether we are a 4 or 6, at worst.. not praying to get in, which we are doing.

"Go look at the performance of Dev and Colton tonight."

Because ... what did Tubby do tonight but not the rest of the year?

My original question goes unanswered: Who else lost a high minute #3, #4, and PG this year? If that's an easy task, why are we all posting on Gopher Hole at midnight?

Go look at the performance of Dev and Colton tonight. Then think about what their time on court has been during most of the year.

If we lose tomorrow, we should be sweating bullets and have no room to whine Sunday late afternoon.

"If he gets this team to the NCAA's after everything it's been through it will be an epic coaching job. As it is, it's mighty impressive either way."

Come on.. that's ridiculous beyond all belief. We should be talking about whether we are a 4 or 6, at worst.. not praying to get in, which we are doing.

And North Carolina SHOULD be looking at a a four seed and UCONN SHOULD blah blah blah...

The point isn't what "should" have happened. It's what did. Off-court distractions, an inability to be consistent on-court, losing their starting point guard mid-season, things were a mess and Tubby pulled them up and got them working together and winning.

Your point that the team has underachieved is secondary to the reality that this coach has the team playing well when it counts.

"Go look at the performance of Dev and Colton tonight."

Because ... what did Tubby do tonight but not the rest of the year?

My original question goes unanswered: Who else lost a high minute #3, #4, and PG this year? If that's an easy task, why are we all posting on Gopher Hole at midnight?

Like I said - go look at the performance of Bostick and Iverson tonight.

Huh? We didn't lose a high minute #3 or #4. We had a so so point guard eff up in school, that's it. The reality is the committee looks at who is currently on the team.. so are you arguing that they should be weary of the Gophers and have issues with us because Al Nolen is not playing for us, although he was when we won some of our 'big' games? You can't have it both ways. Get educated.

Side note, not for the guy I'm quoting, but, I think Al is a wash. We've won big games without him, Devoe is playing out of position well, I don't think you can say we're better or worse right right now with Al on the floor or on the bench.. not a big deal. Positives and negatives.

The point isn't what "should" have happened. It's what did. Off-court distractions, an inability to be consistent on-court, losing their starting point guard mid-season, things were a mess and Tubby pulled them up and got them working together and winning.

Your point that the team has underachieved is secondary to the reality that this coach has the team playing well when it counts.

No - that is false. The point is that excluding Trevor and Royce, this team should have performed better than it did in the regular season. We performed below expectations. This has nothing do with uconn or UNC...

If you want to argue that losing Al hurt us winning games, please do. Bring that argument on.

In all honesty...tonight was a huge win, but I have a question.

Why whenever we get a big win, it's usually because "Tubby did a great job!" And yet when we lose, Tubby and many GHers blame it on individual players, a lack of talent, etc.?

People need to realize that it's never entirely one way or the other, but this was a game where our guys just made plays and wanted it more...I didn't see anything revolutionary or crazy about Tubby's coaching or offensive/defensive schemes that made this game any different than some of our losses this year.

Give credit where credit is due, the players deserve some love after tonight's game just as much or more than the coaching staff with all the negativity they've dealt with this year (Tubby bemoaning our talent level, losing teammates for various reasons, spells of lacking team chemistry, etc.).

I'll agree that there will be no reason to whine if they get beat tomorrow, but you are wrong about the court time/underachieving. The team that played tonight may look like they could be a 4-6 seed, but they weren't that good all year. When Nolen went down, Devoe wasn't a great starting point guard the first day he had the job, he grew into that role. Doesn't Tubby get some credit for that? How about with Colton? Did you see how tenative he was against Purdue? He had a 6-4 guy on him and he wouldn't go up with the ball! 2 weeks later he his going right at anybody MSU can put on him.

This team has been written off about 50 times this year, but they have bounced back after each loss. Guys in supporting roles have moved into the spotlight, and flourished at times. When they've struggled, the staff has worked with them and made them ready for each game. People have ripped Tubby and said his recruits have done nothing, but Devoe and Colt were huge in their biggest game of the year. Guys are developing, they have found some toughness, and they are playing their best basketball when it counts.

Tubby deserves a lot of credit.

With the losses of players, my only big complaint has been how we've finished games (minus tonight). I guess our gameplan/effort vs. Michigan each game was pretty frustrating as well.

Huh? We didn't lose a high minute #3 or #4. We had a so so point guard eff up in school, that's it. The reality is the committee looks at who is currently on the team.. so are you arguing that they should be weary of the Gophers and have issues with us because Al Nolen is not playing for us, although he was when we won some of our 'big' games? You can't have it both ways. Get educated. QUOTE]

Get educated? That's it? You don't think Trevor would have played significant minutes for us? Really? Or Royce? I'm not the biggest fan of Royce that ever lived but you don't think that set us back? They both would be playing - A lot - this weekend. I'm not arguing anything about the committee ... I'm arguing that Tubby has done a good job thru losses he's had.

Tubby definitely gets blasted on here when we lose

In all honesty...tonight was a huge win, but I have a question.

Why whenever we get a big win, it's usually because "Tubby did a great job!" And yet when we lose, Tubby and many GHers blame it on individual players, a lack of talent, etc.?

People need to realize that it's never entirely one way or the other, but this was a game where our guys just made plays and wanted it more...I didn't see anything revolutionary or crazy about Tubby's coaching or offensive/defensive schemes that made this game any different than some of our losses this year.

Give credit where credit is due, the players deserve some love after tonight's game just as much or more than the coaching staff with all the negativity they've dealt with this year (Tubby bemoaning our talent level, losing teammates for various reasons, spells of lacking team chemistry, etc.).

Top Bottom