Good to be a Gopher in Ann Arbor today

Ypsi Gopher

Reaction score
Best quote coming out of here after the Georgia blow out:
"Harbough turns back into a Pumpkin".
Can't win a bowl game, rarely beats ranked teams.
And because he finally beat OSU (anyone on earth think that will happen again in next 5 yrs??), he thinks it's been a tremendous season. To the Wolverine fans I've talked to here, the 2021 Season just shows them how far MI is from ever winning another National Championship. Not happening. With every advantage this University has,
They're football team under Harbough is mediocre. One nice year like 2021 every 15 years doesn't cut it. PJ looks sooo much better to me everyday, when I have to be up close to Harbough.. PJ gets the Most out of his guys, Harbough gets a little something out of his 5 Stars, but not nearly enough. Have you noticed McNamara is just a poor mans Tanner Morgan? Typical under Harbough. Enuff said.
It's going to be a great off season for me here in Ypsi. Go Gophers!

And because he finally beat OSU (anyone on earth think that will happen again in next 5 yrs??), he thinks it's been a tremendous season. To the Wolverine fans I've talked to here, the 2021 Season just shows them how far MI is from ever winning another National Championship. Not happening. With every advantage this University has,
They're football team under Harbough is mediocre. One nice year like 2021 every 15 years doesn't cut it. PJ looks sooo much better to me everyday, when I have to be up close to Harbough.. PJ gets the Most out of his guys, Harbough gets a little something out of his 5 Stars, but not nearly enough. Have you noticed McNamara is just a poor mans Tanner Morgan? Typical under Harbough. Enuff said.
Do u ever get your M hats confused when wearing them around town?

went to Ann Arbor in 2001 (?) and had a great time and the Big House is such an amazing venue - glad I got to see it.

Do u ever get your M hats confused when wearing them around town?

went to Ann Arbor in 2001 (?) and had a great time and the Big House is such an amazing venue - glad I got to see it.
Agree. I was at this year’s OSU win and the atmosphere was top 5 for any sporting event I’ve ever attended (the top two spots are permanently locked for Games 6 and 7 of the ‘91 World Series). AA is a great college town and game days are a lot of fun.

Embarrassing lose for Michigan. Not sure they where prepared for this big stage game

There are 2 of us! Hello neighbor. Maybe someday we’ll be blessed with a Gopher trip to the big house. I’m optimistic about 2027 …

With Michigan finally beating OSU it seemed like they were moving up, but Georgia sure put it all in perspective. Coach Khaki is a clown that is holding them back. UGA played with so much more intensity, desire and preparation.

If I had to pick PJ Fleck or Jim Harbough, hands-down PJ Fleck wins every time. Look at what PJ Fleck did to Benjamin Ste Juste’s career after Harbough tried to discard him through medical reasons.

He transferred to Minnesota and ended up getting drafted. The Gophers are good at teaching and developing players. The lessons learned will serve them long after they have graduated.

Whether players are starter material or not, PJ Fleck honors their scholarships. Every player in the Gophers system contributes to the success of the team.

It is always exciting when a player buried deep in the depth chart work hard and earns a starting spot. When a PWO like LeCaptain earned a scholarship, we all celebrated.

Last edited:

Obviously last night was an embarrassment for Michigan but to say it wasn't a good season is inaccurate. A Big Ten championship, a CFP berth and a win over their main rival is still pretty damn good.

It really is crazy how fan expectations can differ from program to program. In the last 10 years, Michigan has appeared in the playoff, three BCS/NY6 bowls, and four other New Year's Day bowls.

They've had five 10+ win seasons. While they struggled against Ohio State, they've still earned wins against them, along with victories over Notre Dame and Michigan State. They're set to have seven ranked finishes, five in the top 15. They've had just two losing seasons, one of them during the COVID shortened season.

As a Gophers fan, looking at all of that, it seems pretty good. Maybe Harbaugh hasn't reached the heights he was expected to, but to say Michigan has been mediocre seems like a stretch.

People get my M hat confused for Michigan all the time here in ATX. And my M tattoo confused for a W.
My 2-1/2 year old grandson picked up a goldy gopher stuffed toy in our basement rec room, looked at the M and said “Michigan”! His Mom and Dad both have post-grad degrees from Michigan and have a few Michigan shirts for the little guy. I’m going to have to do some “re-education” behind the scene.

Obviously last night was an embarrassment for Michigan but to say it wasn't a good season is inaccurate. A Big Ten championship, a CFP berth and a win over their main rival is still pretty damn good.

It really is crazy how fan expectations can differ from program to program. In the last 10 years, Michigan has appeared in the playoff, three BCS/NY6 bowls, and four other New Year's Day bowls.

They've had five 10+ win seasons. While they struggled against Ohio State, they've still earned wins against them, along with victories over Notre Dame and Michigan State. They're set to have seven ranked finishes, five in the top 15. They've had just two losing seasons, one of them during the COVID shortened season.

As a Gophers fan, looking at all of that, it seems pretty good. Maybe Harbaugh hasn't reached the heights he was expected to, but to say Michigan has been mediocre seems like a stretch.
Excellent take I totally agree.

Mediocre no. Great? Not close. Fans here aren't good w 0-5 Last 5 Bowl games, 1 OSU win every decade or 2, being under .500 against MI St and 1 Big10 Title every 20 years. Their goal is Not to be ranked in top 15, or have 10 win seasons ( these are Gopher goals), it's to win titles and consistently beat OSU. 2021 was a nice year for MI,
But it needs to be the rule, not a once every 20 year fluke.

Michigan is nearly as delusional as Nebraska
The difference is that Michigan actually made the College Bowl playoffs.

Yes, Michigan shit the bed against Georgia, but damn I'd take a Minnesota loss in the College Bowl playoffs over a victory in the no one cares bowl in Phoenix against a 6-6 West Virginia team.

The difference is that Michigan actually made the College Bowl playoffs.

Yes, Michigan shit the bed against Georgia, but damn I'd take a Minnesota loss in the College Bowl playoffs over a victory in the no one cares bowl in Phoenix against a 6-6 West Virginia team.
Woah

you would take it if Minnesota had Michigan level results consistently instead of what we currently have? Hot take

I really don't have any perticular malice towards Michigan.

Michigan is defending Big Ten Champs.
We just won the Guaranteed Rate Bowl.

Who's calling who mediocre?

This is laughably inaccurate.
But it is interesting that 1997 was the last time both of those programs claim a national title in college football.

(That season was the last before the Big Ten, PAC-10, and Rose Bowl joined up with the Bowl Alliance to form the BCS and thus guarantee a #1 vs #2 match-up going forward.)

I think the bigger issue Michigan fans with Harbaugh is his lack of big game and rivalry success. The question then becomes, given their unlimited resources, is are they good or are they just beating weaker teams with less resources then getting pumped by the teams actually equivalent with them? Right now it’s seemed that way predominantly through his tenure given the following:
3-4 vs Michigan State
1-6 vs OSU
4-3 vs PSU
1 bowl game win
Undefeated versus Rutgers, MD, and only loss to Indy is the COVID year.

Sure some will say they've played in multiple NY6 bowls/NYD bowls, but that ignores the fact that it's Michigan so they get there via brand name as well given the years they made it:
2015: finished 3rd in the B10 East behind MSU and OSU and had 4 NY6 bowl teams (Iowa, MI, OSU, NW)
2016: finished 3rd in the East behind PSU, OSU
2017: 4th in the east behind OSU, PSU, Mich St and still play and lose on a NYD bowl game to S Carolina
2018: 2nd in the East behind OSU
2019: 3rd in the East behind OSU, PSU; still a NYD bowl they lose to Bama
2020: COVID year
2021: finally beat OSU but drop Mich St game and the CFP game (think it would've been different the noise around the program had they not spotted Georgia 14 in the first few minutes and never looked like they had a chance)

So I think overall their fans are disenchanted with Harbaugh because it's the same old song and dance where they beat the lower level teams and lay too many eggs in big/important games. And when all you're doing is pouring money into your program and you have to watch your biggest rival to the south win a national title (the year prior to Harbaugh), drop 2 other semi finals, and win 2 rose bowls over roughly the same time course, I can see why they're not happy. It would be extremely interesting to see what would happen here if we had the same administration and booster support that they have there.

The good to be a Gopher in Ann Arbor thing seems puzzling with Michigan in possession of the Little Brown Just since 2015, and winners of 25 of the last 27 match-ups.

However, I am sure it was a really good day the basketball team won at Crisler Arena a few weeks ago.

2015: 10-3
2016: 10-3
2017: 8-5
2018: 10-3
2019: 9-4
2020: 2-4
2021: 12-2
Total 61-24.

Lloyd Carr's last 7 years was 64-24

Under Harbaugh they have been terrible in rivalry and bowl games, but far from mediocre overall.

Top Bottom