Good ol' SEC- Ole Miss has 37 LOI's for 2009

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
Now this is how you do it down south. It defies me that there are 9 guys here who can't get into a school with admissions standards as low as Ole Miss's. So what are they going to do? Draw straws? Musical chairs? Iron Chef?

Well, the entrance requirement for the recruits is to spell the state name and I'm guessing that eliminates at least 9.

I heard that one of Ole' MS recruits was asked to spell MISSISSIPPI, and the kid responded with this question: The River, or the State???????

I heard that one of Ole' MS recruits was asked to spell MISSISSIPPI, and the kid responded with this question: The River, or the State???????

And when they told the same recruit that the Mississippi was considered the "father of all waters," he responded, "Don't you mean the Mistersippi?"

The same kid thought Muddy Waters was the river!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know...

Think of the possibilities, the possible pay-per-view revenue... 3 gray shirts slots, a 9 man Rock, Paper, or Scissors tourniment. How 'bout a spelling bee? that way you could have more then one kid passing out on stage. Why would someone LOI to a school that far over the limit? Somebody somewhere must have told them that the class was going to be this big.

Now this is how you do it down south. It defies me that there are 9 guys here who can't get into a school with admissions standards as low as Ole Miss's. So what are they going to do? Draw straws? Musical chairs? Iron Chef?

I'm not so sure that we should be popping off. I got to know this guy http://www.scstatehouse.gov/members/bios/0668181738.html a little bit when I was in graduate school at the U of South Carolina. He was head coach of the Gamecocks from '56-'60 and AD for a few more years (it was ACC school at the time, I believe). He got pretty testy once when someone (it may have been me) said something about the tough admission standards in the Big Ten. He said, "they're the worst of the worst at getting sub-qualified athletes into school, arrogant hypocrits" IIRC. Now his reference point was 50 years ago and surely things have changed since then. I think that everyone would agree that Big 10 schools are superior research institutions, but his argument seemed to be that even so, it was fairly difficult to get kids into South Carolina, despite the "lower" academic reputations than BT schools. I don't know about Ole Miss' admissions standards, but they may not be a gimme.

I'm not so sure that we should be popping off. I got to know this guy http://www.scstatehouse.gov/members/bios/0668181738.html a little bit when I was in graduate school at the U of South Carolina. He was head coach of the Gamecocks from '56-'60 and AD for a few more years (it was ACC school at the time, I believe). He got pretty testy once when someone (it may have been me) said something about the tough admission standards in the Big Ten. He said, "they're the worst of the worst at getting sub-qualified athletes into school, arrogant hypocrits" IIRC. Now his reference point was 50 years ago and surely things have changed since then. I think that everyone would agree that Big 10 schools are superior research institutions, but his argument seemed to be that even so, it was fairly difficult to get kids into South Carolina, despite the "lower" academic reputations than BT schools. I don't know about Ole Miss' admissions standards, but they may not be a gimme.

I'm sorry- this is a nice post but the SEC is a complete joke academically with the exception of Vanderbilt and possibly Florida. As I've pointed out before, look no further than Taikwon Paige and Anthony Leon. Both of those guys found out WEEKS before signing day that they wouldn't qualify at Minnesota and Oregon respectively. So where do they head to sign? Auburn and Arkansas. I know this is anecdotal but these are two examples just based on intersections with the U of Mn in 2009.

Again, this is a nice post. It does give a pretty interesting historical view. Maybe the SEC wasn't always so stinky.

Think of the possibilities, the possible pay-per-view revenue... 3 gray shirts slots, a 9 man Rock, Paper, or Scissors tourniment. How 'bout a spelling bee? that way you could have more then one kid passing out on stage. Why would someone LOI to a school that far over the limit? Somebody somewhere must have told them that the class was going to be this big.

Seriously. Dumping 9 players gets them down to 28, the maximum allowed and that still requires them to apply 3 players to next year's class (and assumes they didn't have any last year to spill over to 2009.)

That is freakin' 24% of the recruits that aren't going to have a chair when the music stops! Not only that, they picked up Craig Drummond at the last minute. What the hell were they telling him to land him. That he might be a "keeper"?

I've never thought a person was more appropriately named than Houston Nutt. His blood pressure is probably 195/140 when he wakes up and it gets higher as the day goes on. He's got that look in his eyes that makes it difficult to determine whether he's catatonic or a serial killer.

Seriously, he's a good coach (and he can count to 37).

I'm sorry- this is a nice post but the SEC is a complete joke academically with the exception of Vanderbilt and possibly Florida. As I've pointed out before, look no further than Taikwon Paige and Anthony Leon. Both of those guys found out WEEKS before signing day that they wouldn't qualify at Minnesota and Oregon respectively. So where do they head to sign? Auburn and Arkansas. I know this is anecdotal but these are two examples just based on intersections with the U of Mn in 2009.

Again, this is a nice post. It does give a pretty interesting historical view. Maybe the SEC wasn't always so stinky.

I will disagree that the SEC is a complete joke academically. Why would the mighty University of Minnesota hire anyone from a joke university? How could anyone from the Univesity of South Carolina teach anything to someone at the mighty University of Minnesota? Someone has obviously made a very bad mistake. http://www.sph.umn.edu/faculty/faculty.asp?x5=sirar001

I will disagree that the SEC is a complete joke academically. Why would the mighty University of Minnesota hire anyone from a joke university? How could anyone from the Univesity of South Carolina teach anything to someone at the mighty University of Minnesota? Someone has obviously made a very bad mistake. http://www.sph.umn.edu/faculty/faculty.asp?x5=sirar001

With all due respect, I think you need to look up the term "non-sequitur." What on earth does any of this have to do with the SEC's admissions standards for football players (or the rest of the student body for that matter). School's like Harvard, Yale, Duke, etc. routinely hire faculty from the U of Minnesota- and the U from "worse" schools than those in the SEC. This has nothing to do with anything other than the quality of a particular faculty member.

With all due respect, I think you need to look up the term "non-sequitur." What on earth does any of this have to do with the SEC's admissions standards for football players (or the rest of the student body for that matter). School's like Harvard, Yale, Duke, etc. routinely hire faculty from the U of Minnesota- and the U from "worse" schools than those in the SEC. This has nothing to do with anything other than the quality of a particular faculty member.

You have a point. But you also make the statement that “…the SEC is a complete joke academically,” (which I read as a blanket statement) and as far as I can tell you base that opinion on undergraduate admission standards only. I believe that the criteria to evaluate a university should more comprehensive, especially for major research universities. Anyway, I’m sure that you are a good guy and I try to be a good guy, although my wife insists that I’m not always successful. Pete, if you ever get to Las Vegas let’s go out for some beers (on me) and talk some Gopher football!

You have a point. But you also make the statement that “…the SEC is a complete joke academically,” (which I read as a blanket statement) and as far as I can tell you base that opinion on undergraduate admission standards only. I believe that the criteria to evaluate a university should more comprehensive, especially for major research universities. Anyway, I’m sure that you are a good guy and I try to be a good guy, although my wife insists that I’m not always successful. Pete, if you ever get to Las Vegas let’s go out for some beers (on me) and talk some Gopher football!

You betcha.

Top Bottom