Good basketball team is good for football recruiting

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
I think the upswing for the basketball team will help the Gophers in recruiting for football. When the barn is rocking that is impressive to recruits coming for a visit. I think it is just a part of the whole picture. Now if we can just have a warm spell on those same weekends.

Not sure that the quality of the basketball game attended has much of an impact on where a kid wants to play football. I would be pretty shocked to find out a kid decided not to go to the U because the atmosphere at the basketball game sucked. The one area where having a highly ranked basketball team is a good thing is that it is positive pub for the University and the recruits are more likely to see the U mentioned on Sportscenter and in other national outlets.

I think the upswing for the basketball team will help the Gophers in recruiting for football. When the barn is rocking that is impressive to recruits coming for a visit. I think it is just a part of the whole picture. Now if we can just have a warm spell on those same weekends.

How do you think Indiana became such a football power after all their BB natl. titles?

I know they are not going to pick the U of M because of the basketball team but having a good experience on a visit has to help. I haven't seen what the Barn is like this year but it has to be a lot better atmosphere than a few years ago. Like I said it is just part of the whole picture and I agree getting exposure on Sportscenter has to help.

O.K. everyone, let's play nice. I think we can all agree that it would be great if both teams are successful.

So what's a good hockey team good for? Clearly nothing.

So what's a good hockey team good for? Clearly nothing.

unlike the rest of the athletic program they know how to win trophies. We can't say that about bb and fb.

unlike the rest of the athletic program they know how to win trophies. We can't say that about bb and fb.

I was more pointing out that being good at one sport has little to no effect on how you do in other sports.

I think football players should all commit to the U of M because we have the most beautiful cheerleaders and dance team.

(Hoo boy, I can see jamalo/tinyarch coming after me on this comment!!! :) )

I think football players should all commit to the U of M because we have the most beautiful cheerleaders and dance team.

(Hoo boy, I can see jamalo/tinyarch coming after me on this comment!!! :) )

Not to mention a nice volleyball team. I thank Title IX every day that we've got Women's Volleyball and not Men's...

Not sure that the quality of the basketball game attended has much of an impact on where a kid wants to play football. I would be pretty shocked to find out a kid decided not to go to the U because the atmosphere at the basketball game sucked. The one area where having a highly ranked basketball team is a good thing is that it is positive pub for the University and the recruits are more likely to see the U mentioned on Sportscenter and in other national outlets.

Maybe it wouldn't have negative impact, but it could have a positive impact. I've read about recruits commenting that they had a great time at a basketball game, etc. and that they really liked the fans/ student section at a particular school.

I think if Alabama's basketball team won 2 games all year long, they would still be in the National Championship year after year.....

However, I agree that it does create a fun experience when kids are on visits to the U

No one is going to say "I chose to play football for Minnesota because they have a good basketball team." But it does help create a better atmosphere that might make a player more inclined to choose a school. It's just part of the campus atmosphere. I'd say it has some impact, but probably not a huge impact. It would be hard to measure. I suppose if you could survey a large number of football recruits regarding their attitude before and after they attended a basketball game at that school.

Your point is valid: it jazzes up the campus. Besides, as one who was there when Chuck Mencel and Dick Garmaker lost to Iowa 72-70 in an epic game before over 18,000 in the barn in 1955, anything good in basketball is very welcome.

I'm confused. All of those schools have mediocre football programs.

**Start Sarcasm**

We should be looking at Alabama, LSU, Georgia basketball teams. That football program really helped develop those basketball programs right? Am I right?

**End Sarcasm**

You know as this thread has progressed I think we may need to re-examine the original premise. It kind of looks like having a good basketball team is actually a bad thing for the football team. Looking at both top 25 rankings there is not a lot of crossover outside of Ohio State, Michigan, Louisville, Florida and Notre Dame I believe. Outside of that many of top 25 in basketball have terrible football programs and some are not even D1.

So in conclusion the U of M's #14 ranking in basketball can clearly be counted as yet another excuse for why we just can't expect to compete in football. :cool02:

Re: Trent Tucker- Little Known Fact...

I recall TT saying he committed here after visiting the weekend of the historic 76' upset of #1 Michigan; he was so impressed with the game/atmosphere, and beating his home state Wolverines

yawn....The sarcasm is soooo witty on this thread. The man never said a player would pick the U for football just because the bball program is up right now. It def. adds to the atmosphere and that doesn't hurt recruiting. Grow up.

Obviously no kid is going to commit to the team because the basketball team is good & that's not what you're saying. I do think a lot of these kids also play & like basketball so having a good team is a bonus. It also gets us on Sportscenter & lends to the prestige of the school. i.e. Kids feel proud to be committed to a team that's getting positive national exposure, even if it's not their sport. A packed barn is also a lot of fun & part of the overall Twin Cities experience that kids take in on their official visits. At the end of the day having a good basketball team & a packed barn sure can't hurt.

It def. adds to the atmosphere and that doesn't hurt recruiting.

It doesn't hurt, for sure. There's no proof that it helps, either. See all of the excellent basketball programs mentioned in this thread who have an accompanying terrible football team. Saying "good basketball team is neutral for football recruiting" is not a controversial statement and is pretty tough to refute, but saying "good basketball team is good for football recruiting" seems to be a pretty specious argument, especially when considering mountains of tangible evidence to the contrary.

Wow...good job bud.

It doesn't hurt, for sure. There's no proof that it helps, either. See all of the excellent basketball programs mentioned in this thread who have an accompanying terrible football team. Saying "good basketball team is neutral for football recruiting" is not a controversial statement and is pretty tough to refute, but saying "good basketball team is good for football recruiting" seems to be a pretty specious argument, especially when considering mountains of tangible evidence to the contrary.

The fact of the matter is getting your school on television as much as possible goes way further with recruiting your overall athletic program and student body.

Top Bottom