Good Article On Expansion from Cedar Rapids

I stopped reading when he implied that Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Penn State, and Illinois would be an even division compared to one containing Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Michigan State, Michigan, and Ohio State.

Seriously, anyone who puts 4 of the bottom 6 schools in the same division and then calls it even loses any and all credibility with me.

I stopped reading when he implied that Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Penn State, and Illinois would be an even division compared to one containing Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Michigan State, Michigan, and Ohio State.

Seriously, anyone who puts 4 of the bottom 6 schools in the same division and then calls it even loses any and all credibility with me.

Seriously, get past it. The interesting stuff comes later.

Maybe I should have said it DID have a Maturi quote. That would have led everyone around here to look for it. :horse:

Why am I going to listen to a guy talk about scheduling when the division alignments (when they are eventually set up) will render every single point he made irrelevant?

Why am I going to listen to a guy talk about scheduling when the division alignments (when they are eventually set up) will render every single point he made irrelevant?

+1

Maybe the dumbest alignment article of them all...

Because it's the offseason.

+1

" It contains some interesting historical perspective and information on how other conferences handle scheduling."here:

Mark Rudner, a Big Ten associate commissioner who handles football and basketball scheduling, said the league never defined traditional rivalries before Penn State. But, he said, the league understood which rivalries “made sense.” For instance, Iowa didn’t play Indiana in 1985-86 and 1989-90, or Illinois in 1987-88, but it had played Minnesota since 1930.

Each school tabbed two others as permanent. A few rivalries were automatic: Michigan-Ohio State, Indiana-Purdue, Wisconsin-Minnesota. Some grew in intensity, such as Illinois-Northwestern. Others, like Penn State-Michigan State, began with friendly college presidents and escalated into season-ending trophy games.

“If you take the the 11 schools and multiply it by two for rivalry games, 21 of the 22 are pretty good rivalries now,” Rudner said. “The one that you could argue isn’t really a rivalry is Northwestern-Purdue.”

Since the mid-1990s, when permanent opponents took effect, no school has asked to change.

“It all sort of fell into place,” Rudner said. “During that time there’s been no request from athletic directors to reexamine the rivalries. It’s been constant since it was first adopted.”

Here is some of the background from that story:

Games considered “rivalry games” by the Big Ten Conference and played annually:

◦Iowa vs. Minnesota
◦Iowa vs. Wisconsin
◦Minnesota vs. Wisconsin
◦Illinois vs. Northwestern
◦Illinois vs. Indiana
◦Indiana vs. Purdue
◦Purdue vs. Northwestern
◦Ohio State vs. Michigan
◦Ohio State vs. Penn State
◦Michigan vs. Michigan State
◦Michigan State vs. Penn State
How Big Ten does it

The Big Ten’s annual football scheduling begins with permanent opponents. Iowa’s permanent opponents are Minnesota and Wisconsin.
The next step is determining the league’s eight-season rotation. Outside of its permanent opponents, Iowa will play each Big Ten school six times over eight years. Opponents shifting off Iowa’s schedule during the current rotation (circa 2008) are:

◦2007-08 — Michigan, Ohio State
◦2009-2010 — Purdue, Illinois
◦2011-2012 — Michigan State, Northwestern
◦2013-2014 — Penn State, Indiana
Once a Big Ten school’s permanent opponents and league rotation is set:

◦Computers determine the annual league schedule
◦The final week is saved for at least one round of rivalries
◦Each school must get two home games in the first four weeks and final four weeks
◦Athletics directors approve the schedule
How others do it (based in 2008)

◦ACC
The 12 teams split into Atlantic and Coastal divisions and play eight conference games. All division schools play one another, totaling five games. Each school has a rivalry opponent in the opposite division to play annually.
◦Big East
Every school in the eight-team league plays each other annually for seven conference games.
◦Big 12
The 12-team conference has North and South divisions and plays eight conference games. All division schools play one another, totaling five games. The other three games against non-division opponents rotate after two seasons.
◦Pac-10
The 10-team league plays every conference school annually for a nine-game league slate.
◦SEC
The 12-team conference has East and West divisions and plays eight conference games. All division schools play one another, totaling five games. Each school has a “rivalry” opponent in the opposite division to play each year. The other two SEC games stagger annually (one school on, one school off) with non-division, non-rivalry opponents meeting four times every 10 years.

Boy, what a bunch of babies.:D

+1

I meant because it came from Iowa.

I still don't like the permanent cross-over. Playing the other teams 4 times in 10 years is stupid...

Top Bottom