Good article from Doogie

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
Clicky

Sorry to disappoint some of the people here, but it is surprisingly lacking in negativity.

Troy is the best KRer playing to have never run one back.

(Not sure how big of a knock that is on the guy, but it would certainly get him on some all-conference teams if he could run a few back)

I like his analysis, as that is written well, but have to disagree with the "surprisingly lacking in negativity" claim. Maybe in the breakdown of the special forces, there is a lack of negativity, which frankly should lack negativity . . . . but Doogie seemingly can't help himself from taking another gratuitous shot in the intro:

What would be more painful: attending Tuesday night's Justin Bieber concert at Target Center - I'm so happy his mom turned down a chance to pose topless in a future Playboy spread - or putting serious money on Gophers football coach Tim Brewster to win a rivalry game this year?

Just like how he thought it was somehow clever to include the statistics of the breakdown of the offense at the end of last season in his preview of the defensive line, he somehow thinks our record in trophy games have some strange relevance to his breakdown of the special teams. A better writer could still be clever, avoid the gratuitous shots, and keep the intro interesting and relevant.

Clicky

Sorry to disappoint some of the people here, but it is surprisingly lacking in negativity.

When you get the opportunity to go to the source for your information, you tend to gain a better perspective on the situation at hand. Doogie is getting to speak with coaches that are just, on the most part, telling it like it is. By the way, Kick-off coverage will be a lot better this year because of on thing, SPEED. Most of the #2s are on the special forces unit and linebackers like Singleton are anxscious to create opportunities by shining on Kick Off Coverage, much like Cooper did a year ago.

. . . . but Doogie seemingly can't help himself from taking another gratuitous shot in the intro:

What would be more painful: attending Tuesday night's Justin Bieber concert at Target Center - I'm so happy his mom turned down a chance to pose topless in a future Playboy spread - or putting serious money on Gophers football coach Tim Brewster to win a rivalry game this year?

Yup, take away the lame intro and it's a solid article.

The biggest problem is that it isn't even witty or really logical. Making a bad bet isn't really "painful" as it usually comes with odds. If he had to get the dig in on the Gophs he should have said like....what will be more painful, the Bieber concert or watching our passing game without Decker. I'm not saying that is a witty and logical intro but at least it makes more sense than his.

If he wanted to make reference on the long shot and use pop culture and even the Bieber reference, he should have found something that a long shot of happening at the Bieber concert (he won't flip his hair, etc.)

If you wanted to make reference in the lack of appeal to the senses (Bieber concert), he should have referenced something that is hard to watch with the Gophers (passing game, watching the list of players who won't qualify, our running game, etc.)

I like his analysis, as that is written well, but have to disagree with the "surprisingly lacking in negativity" claim. Maybe in the breakdown of the special forces, there is a lack of negativity, which frankly should lack negativity . . . . but Doogie seemingly can't help himself from taking another gratuitous shot in the intro:

Just like how he thought it was somehow clever to include the statistics of the breakdown of the offense at the end of last season in his preview of the defensive line, he somehow thinks our record in trophy games have some strange relevance to his breakdown of the special teams. A better writer could still be clever, avoid the gratuitous shots, and keep the intro interesting and relevant.

I think the introduction is from the Jim Souhan School of Journalism. Look at Souhan's column on Jim Thome today. He tries so hard to be clever with stupid analogies that it's damn near unreadable. Doogie is simply copying the master.

Doogie threw in a Justin Bieber reference to keep it topical? Classic Wolfson!

The biggest problem is that it isn't even witty or really logical. Making a bad bet isn't really "painful" as it usually comes with odds. If he had to get the dig in on the Gophs he should have said like....what will be more painful, the Bieber concert or watching our passing game without Decker. I'm not saying that is a witty and logical intro but at least it makes more sense than his.

If he wanted to make reference on the long shot and use pop culture and even the Bieber reference, he should have found something that a long shot of happening at the Bieber concert (he won't flip his hair, etc.)

If you wanted to make reference in the lack of appeal to the senses (Bieber concert), he should have referenced something that is hard to watch with the Gophers (passing game, watching the list of players who won't qualify, our running game, etc.)

Good to have you back Bob

this is a solid article - good info & decent analysis

and you guys are ripping him for his 'style'? the only way this is comparable to Souhan is if it lacks any real substance or thought.

Top Bottom