Goldy's ready, that's good enough for me!

Funny but...

Pretty funny:

I don't think Goldy has been participatin in Kills two a day training program. He looked pretty out of shape climbing the stairs the second time. Kill needs to get him into the weight room quickly if Goldy wants to be stronger than the other mascots during the fourth quarter.

He is hopefully going to have a lot of pushups to do Saturday

He is hopefully going to have a lot of pushups to do Saturday

+1 I remember a game against Ohio U decades ago, Goldy couldn't do all the pushups, so at the end, he did them on his back against the air.

Showing the cannon in the video made me think that what we need is a new cannon. Get a replica Civil War cannon, and fit it for this kind of use. It doesn't have to be a bigger bang, the same bang would be fine, perhaps more smoke. That little canon is fine for noise, but it's so little.

Goldy needs to brush up on his animation antics. Shadow boxing? Come on, Goldy, you can do better than that. You're Goldy Gopher, not Sparty Spartan.

Showing the cannon in the video made me think that what we need is a new cannon. Get a replica Civil War cannon, and fit it for this kind of use. It doesn't have to be a bigger bang, the same bang would be fine, perhaps more smoke. That little canon is fine for noise, but it's so little.

Meh. I don't see why we need it. Sticking a big cannon in just because "it looks cooler" seems like forcing a tradition. The Cannon Man and his little cannon is its own tradition. Not sure why it matters if the cannon is big or little.

Meh. I don't see why we need it. Sticking a big cannon in just because "it looks cooler" seems like forcing a tradition. The Cannon Man and his little cannon is its own tradition. Not sure why it matters if the cannon is big or little.

It's probablly a Freud thing.

Then why have a cannon at all? We could just pipe fake cannon sounds through the loudspeaker. All traditions start somewhere. A cannon is an impressive object and it makes an impressive sound. The current mini canon only has the latter.

I don't think Goldy has been participatin in Kills two a day training program. He looked pretty out of shape climbing the stairs the second time. Kill needs to get him into the weight room quickly if Goldy wants to be stronger than the other mascots during the fourth quarter.

Lol - Goldy needs some Coach Klein work!

Oh yeah.. I bet he hated Maroney/Barber III in their hayday.. lol

I was a close personal friend of Goldy in the Maroney/Barber III Hayday and Goldy was in the best shape of his life durning that time.

Also the "Cannon Man" is Rob Wallace. If you notice in videos or have ever been to the practice field it is named "Rod Wallace Field". Any man who donates that much money can shoot off any size cannon he wants to :)

I was a close personal friend of Goldy in the Maroney/Barber III Hayday and Goldy was in the best shape of his life durning that time.

Also the "Cannon Man" is Rob Wallace. If you notice in videos or have ever been to the practice field it is named "Rod Wallace Field". Any man who donates that much money can shoot off any size cannon he wants to :)

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the Cannon Man, I'm not suggesting taking his role away from him. Just suggesting providing him with a larger cannon.

It's not the size of the cannon...

...that's what she said.

The only new thing I want on the field is Bronko's Plow. I think it's on the family farm, and it was brought down for the opener vs. Air Force. If there is room, I would love to see that at the tunnel entrance when the team comes out.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the Cannon Man, I'm not suggesting taking his role away from him. Just suggesting providing him with a larger cannon.

Let's be honest...don't we all wish we had a larger cannon?

I think there was a time when they used a civil war type cannon. The Rotc cadets manned it. A very fuzzy memory from my childhood.
Sandy S. was a sophmore.

...that's what she said.

The only new thing I want on the field is Bronko's Plow. I think it's on the family farm, and it was brought down for the opener vs. Air Force. If there is room, I would love to see that at the tunnel entrance when the team comes out.

Bronko Nagurski's plow? It still exists?
That would be an unbelievable tradition to start, touch it as the team is coming onto the field. So cool.

If Goldy can't cut it with the push-ups, will he have to wear an 'I'm a loafer' shirt'?

Holy crap. I don't remember that at the AFA game. Does anyone have a picture? This is a really, really good idea.

Holy crap. I don't remember that at the AFA game. Does anyone have a picture? This is a really, really good idea.
+1 This would be awesome and a great way to teach the history of our program to the players and fans.

I guess it was at the Northern Illinois game last year.

Link

“Bronko Nagurski Day” at TCF Bank Stadium

Bronko was named a Big Ten Icon in 2010 and in the spirit of this recognition, September 25, 2010, was declared, by the office of the governor, Bronko Nagurski Day in the state of Minnesota.
Nagurski was a star Gopher at the University of Minnesota from 1927-29 and the school hosted a slate of events on ‘the big day’ in honor of the legendary football giant, culminating in the Gophers football game that evening against Northern Illinois at TCF Bank Stadium.
The entire Nagurski family, including Bronko’s six children and 18 grandchildren, attended the festivities wearing commemorative Bronko football jerseys, featuring the legendary No. 72 in maroon and gold. A 6-foot Bronko Nagurski bobble head statue, along with the historic “Bronko Plow” were on display.
To read more about Bronko Nagurski Day, visit stadium.gophersports.com.

How about putting up a permanent statue of Bronko outside of the stadium? Have people walk by some of our, well, "Legends and Leaders" as they enter the stadium.

How about putting up a permanent statue of Bronko outside of the stadium? Have people walk by some of our, well, "Legends and Leaders" as they enter the stadium.

I think there's a big Bronko statue in the Gibson-Nagurski Complex. Can't remember for sure though. I'd love to see it outside the stadium.

There should be statues of Bronko and Bruce Smith outside TCF.

I think there's a big Bronko statue in the Gibson-Nagurski Complex. Can't remember for sure though. I'd love to see it outside the stadium.

Yes, there is. I don't know if it should be moved, but a copy could be made.

Bronko Nagurski's plow? It still exists?
That would be an unbelievable tradition to start, touch it as the team is coming onto the field. So cool.

+1000!

...that's what she said.

Time to email coach Kill, Maturi and Kaler. That's an epic idea.

Then why have a cannon at all? We could just pipe fake cannon sounds through the loudspeaker. All traditions start somewhere. A cannon is an impressive object and it makes an impressive sound. The current mini canon only has the latter.

They used to pipe cannon sounds in. Rod Wallace had the idea to do something better. There is a tradition...it's Rod Wallace and his cannon.

Q: How did you become Cannon Man?

A: The Goal Line Club [a football booster club], which I helped to found, started with a cannon that made noise through the PA system. That didn't seem to suffice. I did a lot of sailing, so I came up with the idea of bringing a [sailing race] starting cannon and using it at the Dome. We tried it out and it made a lot of noise. I've been the infamous Cannon Man ever since.

http://www.minnesotaalumni.org/s/1118/content.aspx?sid=1118&gid=1&pgid=1624

I heard Bronko didn't need any horses for the plow, he just pushed it with his hands.

A Civil War type of cannon on that lovely plaza beneath the scoreboard would be cool.

Top Bottom