GOLDEN GOPHER DEFENSE

Reaction score
For those who understand and enjoy the x's and o's of football, I have a question. There seems to be a consensus that the Gopher's defense is much improved and pretty good. I'm hesitant to join that consensus because, if I'm honest, I don't understand the nuances of the game, schemes, etc. And we can all agree that ignorance often leads to really erroneous beliefs.

The cynic in me wants to believe that the defensive "performance" in the second half of the Iowa and Northwestern games was more a function of: 1. "taking the pedal off the gas", fatigue, or less "fire in the belly" on the part of Iowa in the second half, and 2. weather conditions and fatigue on the part of Northwestern in the second half. That cynic in me says that the way these teams ran roughshod over us in the first halves is more indicative of our true defensive identity.

So here's my question: even though you're playing the same athletes for the most part, can adjustments during the game really turn a defensive unit from looking horrible to outstanding that quickly and radically? If so, why can't those adjustments be made immediately upon observing gaping holes your scheme? Why does it always take till halftime for these miraculous turnarounds to take place? If you think about this carefully, what this demonstrates is that a team's success is more about the schemes than it is about marginal gains in talent level, speed and strength. Another question: can the addition of just one and only one superb athlete/player like a Tyrone Carter make an astronomical difference in the effectiveness of a defense? Can one player change the whole tenor and persona of a defense?

I hope there are others out there who find this stuff as fascinating as I do!!

Yes, we've won two 2nd halfs in B1G play while giving away the 1st half in both games. If NW just pounded the ball on us running 40-50 times for something like 6+ yds a carry (the way WI used to), then yes, we would be a really bad run defense. The problem is our schemes, stunts, and/or most importantly - misses assignments have cost us these games. We are giving-up just a few big plays each game (in the 1st half). The problem is Kill and Co. need to have these kids ready to play at the outset (we muff the kick-off, but then let Mark run 20+ yards untouched on the first offensive play of the game!). It's as if we have no film. Claeys adjusts at halftime well, as if he needs to see what happens in the 1st half to know how to call the 2nd half. They need to study film, have the players ready, and correctly anticipate what the other's team game plan will be based on what they are seeing on our film which works so well against us. You think WI is pretty confident they can gash for some big run plays next Saturday???!!!

Years ago I had lunch with a Gopher coach and he told me that if an opponent changed offenses in the second half, you'd never be able to adjust. So halftime adjustments really seem to be important and Claeys seems good at that. Player morale seems good in the second half, too - the Gophers have been scrappy and haven't given up. I like that. But that conversation left me wondering why more coaches don't change offenses in the second half!

1. "taking the pedal off the gas", fatigue, or less "fire in the belly" on the part of Iowa in the second half, and 2. weather conditions and fatigue on the part of Northwestern in the second half. That cynic in me says that the way these teams ran roughshod over us in the first halves is more indicative of our true defensive identity

Northwestern won by 8 points. they tried to go for it a couple of times on fourth down in the second half. We just plan stopped them. I would not call it taking the pedal off the gas.
We gave them the ball inside of our thirty and again around the fifty equaling 14 points. This is more why they beat us than outplaying our defense.
In other words we helped beat ourselves!

Adjustments do occur and happen.

Iowa could've put up quite a bit more if they wanted in the second half. Northwestern was trying and simply couldn't.

The breakdown on the long TD run in the second quarter was a Linebacker doing what was easy and not what was right. He took on the block with the wrong shoulder allowing the gap the ball went through to be vacant. That's what Kill means when he talks about the inexperience of our team.

The defense on a whole is not as bad as it looks on paper. There were really two plays in the 1st half that gave them most of their yards. Only 1 x did the let them drive for a score. If you go back and look at the tape the reason for the 2 plays was there were players who took themselves out of the play by not doing their . The line got pushed back some and there was alot of holding, but MLB has to fill the hole and not try to run around the block. Most of the time if you can get people to stay home and do their job and not try to be a hero, the D works pretty well. The last 2 1/2 qtrs of NW and last half at Iowa are reason for optimism.

Adjustments do occur and happen.

Iowa could've put up quite a bit more if they wanted in the second half. Northwestern was trying and simply couldn't.

The breakdown on the long TD run in the second quarter was a Linebacker doing what was easy and not what was right. He took on the block with the wrong shoulder allowing the gap the ball went through to be vacant. That's what Kill means when he talks about the inexperience of our team.

This is an oddly football like answer to a problem. The question is whether or not it will resolve. That is still an open question.

Responding to the x and o question got you a coaches' type answer. It will change under Kill IMO. The LB that made the mistake was replaced with James Manuel for a large portion of the game from what I observed.

That's why depth is important!!!!!!!!! Players need to feel "if I don't do things the way I'm coached, they'll find someone that will." Without depth, players see who is behind them and don't necessarily care nor listen. As much as a coach would like to pull "that player," they also know they have a better chance to win with them when lack of depth is an issue...AND losing costs jobs.

I believe the Gophers have given up about 50% fewer points through six games this year than they gave up through six games last season. They are definitely better. Sacks and interceptions are up too.

I believe the Gophers have given up about 50% fewer points through six games this year than they gave up through six games last season. They are definitely better. Sacks and interceptions are up too.

I tend to agree with you (this years team being better) but USC, Michigan (level of competition) and a new coaching staff in 2001 does skew the comparison.

It's as if we have no film. Claeys adjusts at halftime well, as if he needs to see what happens in the 1st half to know how to call the 2nd half. They need to study film, have the players ready, and correctly anticipate what the other's team game plan will be based on what they are seeing on our film which works so well against us. You think WI is pretty confident they can gash for some big run plays next Saturday???!!!

First off I guarantee our issues are not being caused by the coaches not studying film. I am sure they are putting in the time. It is a bit concerning though that we seem to come out really slow and then make adjustments to shore up holes the other teams are finding. On the whole the defense has played very well this season considering they have gotten little to no help from the offense (especially in conference games). That being said, knowing our offense is struggling to put up points the defense needs to hit the field ready to play so Claeys and company need to figure out a way to win the first half so that we can avoid digging large holes we have to fight our way out of.

Defensive stats can be misleading. Don't get me wrong, we are MUCH IMPROVED defending the pass. I don't remember this many pass break-ups by DB's ever. HOWEVER, why pass when you can gash teams with the run as our first two B1G opponents have done?

If teams keep successfully running, the coaches will be forced to scheme the S's to help stop run which will result in less two deep over the top S coverages. The result will be Cb's with no over the top help and the D giving up more passing yards (unless this years cb's hold-up better in man on man). Factor in better opposing teams QB play and it could get ugly quick.

Personally I think the pass rush is better so it won't get as bad as last season; unfortunately I don't think this team will stop the run with the front seven only so we will find out.

Top Bottom