Goetz officially AD at Iowa

I wonder Kirk if Beth get along.

Jerry had some comments once that seemed to be about Beth and was weird IIRC.

I wonder Kirk if Beth get along.

Jerry had some comments once that seemed to be about Beth and was weird IIRC.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Kirk will be 69 in August and just named his LB coach as Assistant Head Coach.

Good for her. She has paid her dues and made a tough decision regarding the OC position where she knew some key people would be upset. Getting ahead is about making tough decisions when necessary.

Good for her. She has paid her dues and made a tough decision regarding the OC position where she knew some key people would be upset. Getting ahead is about making tough decisions when necessary.

Not really a choice there... all of that was setup to occur before she took over.

Not really a choice there... all of that was setup to occur before she took over.
True but she forced the move to happen before the season was even over. She could have pushed things out or waited until the season was over to make any sort of announcements as to the status of Brian Ferentz moving forward.

Yes, all the pieces were on the board and in their positions when she was made interim.

But I wonder (and this is purest speculation)... did Iowa powers-that-be (including, maybe, Goetz) see an opportunity, and take advantage of it?

What I mean: maybe they saw forcing K. Ferentz to fire B. Ferentz as a chance to move on from Kirk, without making it look liked they dumped him? Sort of nudging him out the door, rather than firing him.

Ferentz has meant a lot to that school, but he's getting older and he is known for his conservatism (something younger fans seem to despise). Maybe the big wigs were ready for a change, but didn't want to be seen as villains in how it played out.

True but she forced the move to happen before the season was even over. She could have pushed things out or waited until the season was over to make any sort of announcements as to the status of Brian Ferentz moving forward.

I don't know all the ins and outs, but strong-arming a coach of Ferentz's stature into firing his own son is a very, very bold play.

And it had to have been humiliating for the old man.

All the shoes have not yet dropped, I'd wager.

Yes, all the pieces were on the board and in their positions when she was made interim.

But I wonder (and this is purest speculation)... did Iowa powers-that-be (including, maybe, Goetz) see an opportunity, and take advantage of it?

What I mean: maybe they saw forcing K. Ferentz to fire B. Ferentz as a chance to move on from Kirk, without making it look liked they dumped him? Sort of nudging him out the door, rather than firing him.

Ferentz has meant a lot to that school, but he's getting older and he is known for his conservatism (something younger fans seem to despise). Maybe the big wigs were ready for a change, but didn't want to be seen as villains in how it played out.
I think they definitely used the BF situation as a way to try and nudge KF out the door because you can't fire him. I am sure they would like to move on but if he is unwilling to step down or retire their hands are kind of tied.

I think they definitely used the BF situation as a way to try and nudge KF out the door because you can't fire him. I am sure they would like to move on but if he is unwilling to step down or retire their hands are kind of tied.

I don't know if Kirk's buyout is enough to tie the administration's hands or not. It sure seems as though many of these schools are making coaching changes regardless of the payout involved.

At the very least I think they knew PR wise if firing Brian made Kirk quit ... fans would not blame the AD.

It was a safe call. Can't justify that offense ...

I don't know if Kirk's buyout is enough to tie the administration's hands or not. It sure seems as though many of these schools are making coaching changes regardless of the payout involved.
With Ferentz I don't think it is a money or buyout issue. Dude has had a ton of success at Iowa and is still winning a lot of games in spite of fielding one of the worst offenses in college football history.

Firing him would look foolish, they really need him to retire or leave on his own to make a move.

With Ferentz I don't think it is a money or buyout issue. Dude has had a ton of success at Iowa and is still winning a lot of games in spite of fielding one of the worst offenses in college football history.

Firing him would look foolish, they really need him to retire or leave on his own to make a move.

Yeah. And if Kirk was going to leave in anger, based on principle, the time to jump ship would have been when he was first directed to fire the son.

The bolded is true, but we know that younger fans hate a "conservative" (run-first) offense, even when it leads to wins.

He referred to her as ‘that woman’.
Ooof, I had forgotten about that but you mentioning it brought the memory back.

(Just a heads up, I talk about generations here, but I am not making any claims about any particular generation, just saying being in different generations can lead to not seeing fully eye to eye on things)

Generationally, Beth is a cusper between the end of Gen X and the beginning of Millennials (she was born in 1979). Generational differences on how to communicate, solve problems, etc may have also contributed to any animosity between her and Kill (Kill being solidly a Boomer).

Ooof, I had forgotten about that but you mentioning it brought the memory back.

(Just a heads up, I talk about generations here, but I am not making any claims about any particular generation, just saying being in different generations can lead to not seeing fully eye to eye on things)

Generationally, Beth is a cusper between the end of Gen X and the beginning of Millennials (she was born in 1979). Generational differences on how to communicate, solve problems, etc may have also contributed to any animosity between her and Kill (Kill being solidly a Boomer).
Kill already had a go between to manage relations between the AD and Kill... even before Beth.

It would be like the Patriots firing Bellicheck. Just never would happen. Oh wait...

Top Bottom