Godfrey Minnesota interest

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
Cooper's Calvin Godfrey is apparently garnering serious interest from Minnesota. I haven't seen him play, so I can only go off what Scout.com has to say. He's 6-8 and two-star recruit. What? Minnesota, which obviously needs instant-impact guys next season, is looking at a low-ranking journeyman high school prospect to help out? I guess, that's what makes recruiting so tough in Minnesota. Rarely does a class come along like 2009 with Royce, Rodney, Lockett, Broghammer, Dower and Mike B. Easy in-state fixes don't exist. I'm frustrated, not at Tubby, but at the lack of consistent top-level talent in the state. I mean, what is coach supposed to do? It's not like 4/5 star guys are immediately attracted to Minnesota. That forces Tubby to seek out lower-rated prospects like Godfrey in hopes of developing them into solid college players.
Maybe someone with more knowledge on Godfrey can elaborate. Maybe Scout.com hasn't updated its profile yet, because a 2 star forwards don't get fans excited.

Cooper's Calvin Godfrey is apparently garnering serious interest from Minnesota. I haven't seen him play, so I can only go off what Scout.com has to say. He's 6-8 and two-star recruit. What? Minnesota, which obviously needs instant-impact guys next season, is looking at a low-ranking journeyman high school prospect to help out? I guess, that's what makes recruiting so tough in Minnesota. Rarely does a class come along like 2009 with Royce, Rodney, Lockett, Broghammer, Dower and Mike B. Easy in-state fixes don't exist. I'm frustrated, not at Tubby, but at the lack of consistent top-level talent in the state. I mean, what is coach supposed to do? It's not like 4/5 star guys are immediately attracted to Minnesota. That forces Tubby to seek out lower-rated prospects like Godfrey in hopes of developing them into solid college players.
Maybe someone with more knowledge on Godfrey can elaborate. Maybe Scout.com hasn't updated its profile yet, because a 2 star forwards don't get fans excited.

Once again IGNORE SCOUT because they haven't seen him play, either.

Scout AND Rivals are terrible.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=12863 Link to some who HAVE seen him play.

I've seen Godfrey play twice. He's athletic and relys on that right now. Not real skilled in the low post and his jump shot is area for improvement. He blocks everything but has been in foul trouble in both games I watched. I'd love to see him up against, Jake White from Chaska or Mike Rostampour from Sibley to compare. He can handle the ball pretty well for his size. Not sure of his bb I.Q. but really seems to get after it. I think he's a two star because he's moved around so much and hasn't had a system to take advantage of what he does well. IMO.

I'm frustrated, not at Tubby, but at the lack of consistent top-level talent in the state.

Maybe you should be more frustrated that we can't keep more MN talent at home. for example ...

What would our record be this year with Tubby as Coach if our team was ALL MINNESOTA
and where would we be ranked.

I did a little internet perusal & used abbrv to try and line up stats :)

// NAME ~~~~~~~TEAM ~~~ MPG ~~~ PPG ~~~ RPG ~~~ FG%

// STARTERS //
PG -- AL NOLEN ---- MINN ~~~ 26 ~~~ 6.1 ~~~ 3 ~~~~~ 40
SG -- BLAKE HOF -- MINN ~~~ 22 ~~~ 10.5 ~~~ 3.4 ~~~ 51
SF -- RYAN WITT -- CORN ~~~ 36 ~~~ 19.1 ~~~ 3.2 ~~~ 48
PF -- JON LEUER -- WISC ~~~ 28 ~~~ 16.2 ~~~ 6.5 ~~~ 55
CE -- COLE ALDR -- KANS ~~~ 26 ~~~ 11.3 ~~~ 9.7 ~~~ 54

~~~~~ BENCH ~~~~~
6M -- N DAHLMAN WOFF ~~~ 28 ~~~ 18.3 ~~~ 6.4 ~~~ 62
7M -- M JANNING -- NEAS ~~~ 38 ~~~ 16.7 ~~~ 4 ~~~ 46
8M -- J STOMMES -- E-KY ~~~ 34 ~~~ 15.3 ~~~ 3.9 ~~~ 55
9M -- KZO AHLGB --UNI- ~~~ 32 ~~~ 14.4 ~~~ 3.7 ~~~ 58

There would be five very tired starters. Tearing it up in the low majors doesn't mean much in the Big Ten. Wittman wasn't that great the The Barn last year either.

There would be five very tired starters. Tearing it up in the low majors doesn't mean much in the Big Ten. Wittman wasn't that great the The Barn last year either.

Ok - you might be right - maybe we could let in one big guy from SD.

Also - I thought Ryan Wittman had a pretty good 1st half last year but trailed off in the 2nd IIRC.

He might need a little more rest - maybe there are others out there to fill the backup roles.

Maybe you should be more frustrated that we can't keep more MN talent at home. for example ...

What would our record be this year with Tubby as Coach if our team was ALL MINNESOTA
and where would we be ranked.

I did a little internet perusal & used abbrv to try and line up stats :)

// NAME ~~~~~~~TEAM ~~~ MPG ~~~ PPG ~~~ RPG ~~~ FG%

// STARTERS //
PG -- AL NOLEN ---- MINN ~~~ 26 ~~~ 6.1 ~~~ 3 ~~~~~ 40
SG -- BLAKE HOF -- MINN ~~~ 22 ~~~ 10.5 ~~~ 3.4 ~~~ 51
SF -- RYAN WITT -- CORN ~~~ 36 ~~~ 19.1 ~~~ 3.2 ~~~ 48
PF -- JON LEUER -- WISC ~~~ 28 ~~~ 16.2 ~~~ 6.5 ~~~ 55
CE -- COLE ALDR -- KANS ~~~ 26 ~~~ 11.3 ~~~ 9.7 ~~~ 54

~~~~~ BENCH ~~~~~
6M -- N DAHLMAN WOFF ~~~ 28 ~~~ 18.3 ~~~ 6.4 ~~~ 62
7M -- M JANNING -- NEAS ~~~ 38 ~~~ 16.7 ~~~ 4 ~~~ 46
8M -- J STOMMES -- E-KY ~~~ 34 ~~~ 15.3 ~~~ 3.9 ~~~ 55
9M -- KZO AHLGB --UNI- ~~~ 32 ~~~ 14.4 ~~~ 3.7 ~~~ 58

Bryce Webster - Irvine
G Min M A Pct M A Pct M A Pct Off Def Tot Ast TO Stl Blk PF PPG
(4-4) 8 23.1 3.1 5.3 59.5 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.4 1.6 84.6 1.3 3.6 4.9 0.4 1.5 0.4 0.8 2.9 7.6
Cory Johnson - Valaparaiso
G Min M A Pct M A Pct M A Pct Off Def Tot Ast TO Stl Blk PF PPG
(5-6) 27.5 6.3 11.0 57.0 0.0 0.4 0.0 3.3 5.1 64.3 2.9 3.7 6.6 1.5 1.8 1.5 0.8 2.4 15.8

Would Mbwake be in trouble if he had stayed at the U. Really was a golden age for Minnesota Basketball. Monson couldn't keep many of them home.

I guarantee you Matt Janning could play AND play well at the Big Ten Level.

I guarantee you Matt Janning could play AND play well at the Big Ten Level.

Who does he replace at the 2 guard position in our lineup? Do you think he has more talent than Westbrook, Joseph, or Hoffarber?

Janning, Whittman....

and this year Mike Muscala at Bucknell could all help the Gophers. But if you have Hoff in that off guard role, it's fair to ask would they be better. Muscala wan't going to be more in demand than Royce, Rodney, and Trevor, but once he got the opportunity he showed he has the skills.

It's about getting a chance to play.....and all three would have had to bide their time with the Gophers, while they get a chance to shine right away with their current programs.

Who does he replace at the 2 guard position in our lineup? Do you think he has more talent than Westbrook, Joseph, or Hoffarber?

I was implying that if we had an all MN team and I still think he would see the floor if he was on this years squad as well. He's a major talent and will play pro ball of some sort after he graduates albeit it may be overseas....

Top Bottom