Goal Line Stand

PlayHosea

Reaction score
Anyone notice that Gary Tinsley was in on both tackles on the stand that held the lead? Guy might be a good LB if he can cut down on the Hacksaw Jim Duggan impersonations. The Gophs are losing some good linebackers, but if Cooper and Tinsley can step up, they'll be just fine next season. Also Michael Carter looks pretty physical for a guy that was advertised as 160 lbs.

Anyone notice that Gary Tinsley was in on both tackles on the stand that held the lead? Guy might be a good LB if he can cut down on the Hacksaw Jim Duggan impersonations. The Gophs are losing some good linebackers, but if Cooper and Tinsley can step up, they'll be just fine next season. Also Michael Carter looks pretty physical for a guy that was advertised as 160 lbs.

I still maintain that before all important defensive plays, they should show a clip of Tinsley swinging a 2x4 on the big screen. I, for one, would go crazy.

Tinsley and Cooper will fill in nicely, I'd like to see Rallis get a shot at LB next year. Carter looks great, the play he made on the ball where he was one on one with the MSU receiver showed off his vertical and ball skills, unfortunately the MSU receiver made a great play, down the road I look for great things from Carter. We do need more physical corners though, our scheme demands that we have guys that will come up and make a tackle.

I understand that this Maresh kid, whom I've never heard anything about in the past in regards to toughness or heart, might want to play LB at some point in the future.

I understand that this Maresh kid, whom I've never heard anything about in the past in regards to toughness or heart, might want to play LB at some point in the future.
Fully agree, but I've tempered my enthusiasm on Sam until I see him on the field. I want the kid to make sure he's healthy and football ready before he steps on the field. There is nobody on this squad that I want to succeed more than Sam Maresh.

What's wrong with impersonating Hacksaw? He has a great 3-point stance.

USA! USA! USA!

If you don't think Spencer Reeves is going to get a lot of playing time at linebacker next season, you have not been paying attention.

I was thinking of starting a thread on it (but will just chime in with it here and hope I'm not hi-jacking), but Keanon Cooper's pass coverage downfield on MSU's last possession was about the furthest I've seen a Gopher LB down the field that I can remember (and I've been watching Gopher football for a long, long time). Plus, he was in position to break up the pass.

If the current crop of defensive players can be "coached up," I think we have a chance to have a decent defense for the next few seasons. The athleticism is there.

Agree on Tinsley. Kid can play. Has his lapses, but really goes to the ball.

Cooper Tinsley and REeves are gonna be better than the guys we've already got.

There is no doubt we've got some great talent coming up at LB. The only question is how long will it take them to be dominant.

There is no doubt we've got some great talent coming up at LB. The only question is how long will it take them to be dominant.

Yeah, that's a good question.

We already know Cooper can play and apparently, Tinsley has started to figure it out.

Reeves and Maresh are still questions marks.

Then you've got young players like Singleton, Tatum, Mitchell, and maybe even Lamonte Edwards. There is a lot to like in our future at LB.

I also agree with the poster above about Rallis. Get that kid on the field - LB or safety. He plays like he's got something to prove and that's dangerous. Something tells me kids from Edina HS aren't given the automatic athletic credibility given to kids from Skyline HS. Rallis is going to make plays next year - fact.

Top Bottom