Go Win the West!

BrewCity-Gopher4Life

Reaction score
With both Iowa and Wisconsin on their backup QBs, it is time for Minnesota to win the West. No excuses. LFG!

Last edited:

If that effing loss to NW and just trying to run out the clock and play prevent defense ends up keeping us from winning the west in our last chance to win it….. we’ll, my eye will freaking explode like it did in The Michigan Game.

What is the path?

If MN goes 5-1 with expected loss to tOSU. Finish 6-3 and to end in a 3 way tie with wins over IA & WI.
Iowa must go 3-2 with a loss to the Gophers
WI must go 4-2 with a loss to the Gophers

Iowa plays: NW, Rut. Illinois, NE
WI plays: IL, tOSU, IN, NW, NE
MN plays: MSU, IL, PUR, tOSU

WE MUST BECOME NE FANS

Last edited:

With both Iowa and Wisconsin on their backup QBs, it is time for Minnesota to win the West. No excuses. LFG!

Yeah this is now the Gophers best opportunity. Both QBs out and Allen for Wisconsin took a beating. He is not at 100%. Iowa has serious injury issues. Down to their #4 TE and their DBs have no depth due to injuries.

I could see both teams losing twice outside of the Gopher game.

What incredible luck for PJ to get a chance for the last West title in a division full of injuries, coaching turnover and scandals. Wonder if he would use it though, as a springboard to another job with more NIL and ability to compete in the superconference era.

What incredible luck for PJ to get a chance for the last West title in a division full of injuries, coaching turnover and scandals. Wonder if he would use it though, as a springboard to another job with more NIL and ability to compete in the superconference era.
Ain't no other job. We had a suburb chance in 2019 to win 1 out of two games to win the west. The chance this year are "1 in a million".

Ain't no other job. We had a suburb chance in 2019 to win 1 out of two games to win the west. The chance this year are "1 in a million".
I’m thinking that if PJ can’t beat both Iowa and Wisconsin when they look this terrible, what future ceiling does he see when he not only still has to worry about those protected games every year, but no longer has a reprieve when he misses OSU/Michigan because those may just be replaced by USC/Oregon instead of Rutgers and Indiana.

Are we still afraid that PJ Fleck is going to leave us?

Every team in the west looks bad while all the other teams look bad…

Every team, except the division winner, will regret this missed opportunity.

If he reads this board, a board on which posters appear to be “all over the board…” about the job Coach & his staff are doing at Minnesota in his SEVENTH year (a magic number to some, I guess), PJ must be wondering what the fans want his future n Minnesota to be.

With half the season remaining: there are tremendous challenges lurking…AND…incredible rewards possible for Coach Fleck, his staff and this Gopher team.

What a great time to be a fan. Some possibilities for every fan on this board regardless of what their opinions of the current season are. The team, the coach and his staff are. What the magical seventh season “should” be.

The season is now at a totally reactive peak for the fans, press, die-hard loyalists, cynical bomb-throwers and people who just like sitting on the fence nd are prepared to go with a majority because that is safest.

Stay tuned. This is Golden Gopher Football Time!

Beat the stinking Hawkeye, Gopher!

Last edited:

Unfortunately, this chance comes amid a bit of a rebuild for the Gophers. If we can go 5-1 and go to the title game, Fleck deserves to stay for quite a while.

What is the path?

If MN goes 5-1 with expected loss to tOSU. Finish 6-3 and to end in a 3 way tie with wins over IA & WI.
Iowa must go 3-2 with a loss to the Gophers
WI must go 4-2 with a loss to the Gophers

Iowa plays: NW, Rut. Illinois, NE
WI plays: IL, tOSU, IN, NW, NE
MN plays: MSU, IL, PUR, tOSU

WE MUST BECOME NE FANS
Also need NW to lose 2 and Nebraska to lose 1 conference game. Which should happen. They play each other on Saturday.. Nebraska will probably lose to at least one of Wisconsin or Iowa. Wisconsin loses to Ohio State. HOPEFULLY Iowa loses to Rutgers at home. There is a legitimate path for the Gophers.

Every team, except the division winner, will regret this missed opportunity.

What missed opportunity? The opportunity to be destroyed by Michigan in the title game? The last thing I want to see this season is a rematch with Michigan.

Even if the opponent ends up being OSU or Penn State, the likelihood of winning the game would be very low. Iowa lost 31-0 to Penn State. Those 31 points are about double the amount of the second highest total given up by Iowa this season and, as bad as Iowa's offense is reputed to be, the second lowest total they scored was 15 in a victory over Wisconsin.

Winning the West right now seems at best a Pyrrhic victory. Making it to a prestigious game means nothing to me if we get our asses kicked. I really hope we can beat both Iowa and Wisconsin but I hope some other team pulls out the West. I will enjoy watching either Iowa or Wisconsin get embarrassed in the championship far more than watching us do the same.

What missed opportunity? The opportunity to be destroyed by Michigan in the title game? The last thing I want to see this season is a rematch with Michigan.

Even if the opponent ends up being OSU or Penn State, the likelihood of winning the game would be very low. Iowa lost 31-0 to Penn State. Those 31 points are about double the amount of the second highest total given up by Iowa this season and, as bad as Iowa's offense is reputed to be, the second lowest total they scored was 15 in a victory over Wisconsin.

Winning the West right now seems at best a Pyrrhic victory. Making it to a prestigious game means nothing to me if we get our asses kicked. I really hope we can beat both Iowa and Wisconsin but I hope some other team pulls out the West. I will enjoy watching either Iowa or Wisconsin get embarrassed in the championship far more than watching us do the same.
So you'd rather NOT see Gophs go 5-1?

If he reads this board, a board on which posters appear to be “all over the board…” about the job Coach & his staff are doing at Minnesota in his SEVENTH year (a magic number to some, I guess), PJ must be wondering what the fans want his future n Minnesota to be.

Yeah, I don't get that "7th Season!" meme either. I think many people just repeat meaningless stuff because it sounds good to them for some reason. There is nothing particularly special about a 7th season and no reason why it should be better than a season four, five, or six. Nobody has progressively better seasons each year.

Last edited:

So you'd rather NOT see Gophs go 5-1?

That would be great but I hope someone else finishes just enough better than 6-3 in conference (or wins a tie breaker) to earn their drubbing in the championship game. I wasn't at all unhappy when we tied the division but lost the tie breaker to Wisconsin in 2019. Wisconsin lost their last two games while we had a great performance in our bowl game and finished the season 10th ranked.

I’ll happily take winning the division over NOT winning the division…

I don’t understand why anyone would feel differently.

Even if we end up going to Indy, if the records are a tie are they going to send the other team(s) a trophy too?

Didn’t we technically get a West trophy for 2019, though we didn’t deserve it?

Would be nice to be he outright West champ, but I think that went out the window with the NW loss.

Yeah, I don't get that "7th Season!" meme either. I think many people just repeat meaningless stuff because it sounds good to them for some reason. There is nothing particularly special about a 7th season and no reason why it should be better than a season four, five, or six. Nobody has progressively better seasons each year.

Most coaches, not all, peak at a school within 5 years.

Is is too much to ask that the Gophers should win one West title in seven years? There is no OSU, Michigan or Penn State. Can’t win in a lousy division. I don’t think it was too much to ask for one title in the last seven seasons.

No, every thing wrong here.

Top Bottom