Go Westbrook!

Rouser

Reaction score
In response to all the hating..i figure i'd start a Westbrook appreciation thread. No doubt there will be few to agree..and likely the thread will be taken in the opposite direction within a couple posts..

He has his faults but I like him. Tough as nails and a gamer. Get over it members of Mt Pious. Between Colton and Westbrook..I like the attitude. If its gets out of control...Tubby will handle it.

Sitting in the arena last night, seeing him at the line was a calming sight. Needless to say, he hit them.

In response to all the hating..i figure i'd start a Westbrook appreciation thread. No doubt there will be few to agree..and likely the thread will be taken in the opposite direction within a couple posts..

He has his faults but I like him. Tough as nails and a gamer. Get over it members of Mt Pious. Between Colton and Westbrook..I like the attitude. If its gets out of control...Tubby will handle it.

I'm with you Rouser. People should not be surprised if Westbrook and Sampson who had tough games last night are the stars if we win tonight. MSU is a bad matchup for those two but Purdue is a good matchup. Purdue's Johnson is more finesse like Sampson- who doesn't liek getting pounded on. Westbrook will be able to matchup versus somebody more near his size. Without Hummel we match up fine with them.

Although he definitely has some attitude issues, his will to win is going to be missed next year. He has stepped up huge for us the past 4 games in different ways than scoring.

Westy leads by example...CI has bought in along with DJ, Hoff and Devoe. If others come on board, especially RS3, lots of upside ahead.

Agreed! Stop the hating. Without Westbrook, we wouldn't have won as many games in the past 4 years. Plus, why hate on someone who wants to win (even though he may complain sometimes). And RSIII needs to step up. He is probably getting a wakeup call from his dad as we speak!

Count me in with Westy. Now I would like to see Devoe recognize that distributing the ball to Westbrook (and others like Hoff) could really help this team over the top against Purdue.

Devoe, I believe, lulled the Spartans to sleep and they sorta ignored him after his scoreless 1st half. Purdue will likely concentrate on Devoe's shooting today. Devoe should concentrate on getting Westy and others involved today.

Devoe can still take his shots when they come.

I think Westy needs a competent point who can run the offense and control the game. Sometimes I think Westy tries to step into that role from the 2 guard spot when the point struggles and it does not always work out for the best.

In response to all the hating..i figure i'd start a Westbrook appreciation thread.

Love/hate here guys.

Love: Very talented player. Tough as hell. Not afraid to take the shot. We absolutely need him to go anywhere this year. Fantastic finisher at the rim, fantastic free throw shooter, very good 3 point shooter. Really really wants to win. Probably not nearly as bad of a guy as some people think.

Hate: Me first attitude at times (better lately). Stupid plays (see below). Gambling defensive style. Not afraid to take the shot (yep). Shows up teammates on the floor.

Last night LW made two plays that I wanted to grab him on the TV screen and shake him until his eyeballs popped out.

1. Tough-guy, you-can't-show-me-up-by-setting-a-perfectly-legal-and-very-tough-screen-play. Two free throws and if it weren't for other dude's mouth, a solo T. Incredibly stupid play.

2. With about a minute (less?) carelessly dribbling around on our end of the floor in anticipation of a foul and having the ball stolen for a KB-vs.-Illinois type rediculously stupid turnover, rather than simply dribbling up the sideline or passing the ball off.

I've never seen a guard that can be so strong with the ball in the air on the way to the rim that is also so weak with the ball on the dribble in the open court. That giveaway in the last minute when Devoe was open behind him drove me over the edge. It's like Westy wasn't going to let anybody else take the foul and get the shots.

Exactly Goldenboy. Westbrook wanted the foul to help pad the stats when he should have first tried to get the ball up the floor.

However, I still like his competitive spirit. Plus love te way he beat down Wisconsin in both games last year.

when Devoe was open behind him

Devoe needs to be in a position to catch a pass. And Raymar initiated the "confrontation" with Westbrook, not the other way around.

Watch the replay. Devoe was ten feet behind the play, open and calling for the ball as Westy spins in the middle of the double-team.

Westbrook wanted the foul to help pad the stats when he should have first tried to get the ball up the floor.
Similarly, Hoffarber was being doubled teamed and hacked, pivoted through and threw the ball up the court to an open Paul Carter which led to a desperation foul from MSU. He could've held onto it, attempted to get fouled...but he could've turned it over or been called for a jump.

He didn't care if he was going to get fouled and shoot FTs to pad his stats, he just wanted to get it to the open man and win the darn game.

They weren't big plays, but it's little things like those plays that form people's opinion about a player...

Similarly, Hoffarber was being doubled teamed and hacked, pivoted through and threw the ball up the court to an open Paul Carter which led to a desperation foul from MSU. He could've held onto it, attempted to get fouled...but he could've turned it over or been called for a jump.

EXACTLY!! I wanted to say this, but my post was already (as normal) too long.

BTW, LW had the entire sideline open to dribble up. So, in my opinion, the pass to Devoe discussion is irrelevant.

He's all the good things mentioned above. Certainly the most reliable scorer on the team. But, it's scary everytime he puts the ball on the floor.

He definitely does good things, but he makes way too many questionable decisions, and he has to be the worst ball-handler (for a guard) that I can think of. Every dribble is an adventure.

Top Bottom