Glad to win, glad he’s done.

GoldenMAV30266

Reaction score
Great to see a win, and also great to see Tanner and Mo go out with a win.

But man am I glad a new era of football is ahead of us. Tanner with a very vintage 58 yards passing. The first TD to Jackson was beautiful, but the gophers should have throttled that team, and I think if Athan didn’t get hurt they would have.

But man am I glad a new era of football is ahead of us. Tanner with a very vintage 58 yards passing. The first TD to Jackson was beautiful, but the gophers should have throttled that team, and I think if Athan didn’t get hurt they would have.
Pretty well for not playing since October?

I remember a game vs Indiana and a Purdue game many years ago. Not big crowds, but LOUD and into the game unlike past years.

Tanner throwing the ball and converting long 3rd downs completely changed the crowd from "Oh no what is going to happen?" to "Oh man what are they going to do?!?!!?"

I will always have fond Tanner Morgan memories and he was supremely successful in 2019 during the most enjoyable season of Gopher football in my lifetime.

But his decline over the seasons since and particularly within this season is undeniable. Today turned into the first half of the Nebraska game and that represents a lot of frustration for me.

Morgan’s performance was secondary to the overall strange vibe (we essentially had a player opt out at half, for Christ’s sake) of the game and the ridiculous field conditions that combined to make me wonder if I was even watching football, at times.

What a s****y way to start a thread. Tanner Morgan chose the University of Minnesota on blind faith without ever setting a foot on campus. He has given his everything to this team. IMO he essentially benched himself when he thought it was in the best interest of the team. In other words, he has been a LEADER, which is just as, if not more, important than being a quarterback.

Tanner, I thank you for your years of commitment to the University of Minnesota. You are a good person. In my estimation, you will be a great coach someday and, when that day comes, I hope that you will be a coach for our Golden Gophers.

Way too soon. Unless you're just trolling of course.

I thought it was fitting that Tanner was able to play in and finish this game! Actually I was surprised Tanner didn't start

I think once we got a decent lead PJ was pulling in the horns and shrinking the game, because of the awful turf and potential for injuries and game-changing turnovers.

Morgan only threw it 7 times. It’s clear we just played it safe with the lead so how many yards he had is irrelevant.

The second half offense had PJ's fingerprints all over it plus apparently Mo tweaked his ankle (injured from earlier in the season) and pulled himself from the game.

We didn't go full box turtle into an offensive shell but the defense was more than competent. Tanner was doing exactly what was asked...plus, respectfully to Potts he is just not the same off his injury, and 99% of the time Williams is in as a pass blocker EXCEPT today when he caught the pass thrown to him.

Would have been great to run the full Athan experiment but hopefully he is or will be fine and we'll see next year.

Was interesting to me we didn't bring in any of the kid RBs off the bench too.

It as tho the op never saw 4-5 years of Jerry kill qbs.
This has gotta be the first year that guy has ever watched Gopher football. I'm actually jealous of some of these people and the football they missed out on that we didn't

I will always have fond Tanner Morgan memories and he was supremely successful in 2019 during the most enjoyable season of Gopher football in my lifetime.

But his decline over the seasons since and particularly within this season is undeniable. Today turned into the first half of the Nebraska game and that represents a lot of frustration for me.

Morgan’s performance was secondary to the overall strange vibe (we essentially had a player opt out at half, for Christ’s sake) of the game and the ridiculous field conditions that combined to make me wonder if I was even watching football, at times.
Who was that? If refering to Mohammed Ibrahim, I think the plan all along was get him the records and then sit him. Not a bad strategy.

Yeah, I think the second half is more Fleck than Morgan.

IMHO, Fleck made a conscious decision to try and win the game while putting the players at the least amount of risk possible on a terrible field.

also, it seems likely that the game plan was to get Mo his records first. IF Athan doesn't get hurt, and IF the field wasn't a disgrace, we might have seen a very different game plan for the rest of the game, but we'll never know.

it wasn't pretty, but an ugly win is better than a pretty loss.

at least in my book.

Who was that? If refering to Mohammed Ibrahim, I think the plan all along was get him the records and then sit him. Not a bad strategy.
He didn't play a snap after they announced his career rushing yards record in the stadium.

I didn't see the broadcast though. Did they say he pulled himself from the game? I assumed he got the record and that was enough.

He didn't play a snap after they announced his career rushing yards record in the stadium.

I didn't see the broadcast though. Did they say he pulled himself from the game? I assumed he got the record and that was enough.
It was part of the post-game KFAN broadcast with JG and PJ. As I recall the ESPN announcers were still questioning where was Mo with 3 minutes left in the game.

And yes, it is reasonable to assume he tweaked his ankle either on or just before the record breaking run.

Honest question, did you watch the game?

We had significantly fewer yards because we essentially gave back 2 series of offense with the INT return for a TD and then the short field from the return (that drive ended in a Morgan TD pass).

Tanner didn't shut it down at all. PJ called a conservative game when we had the lead and took Mo out. How is this play calling on Tanner?

After Tanner came into the game, we ran 24 plays. This included the drive at the end of the first where PJ chose to attempt to run out the clock and chew up timeouts (not passing) and the three drives at the end where PJ chose to try to eat up clock and end the game.

If you have an issue with PJ's decision to go ultraconservative, that's one thing. But blaming Tanner is a truly awful take. Tanner had better stats than Athan today and played the majority of his offensive snaps without Mo.

This isn't coming from some Tanner-apologist. I have firmly been the camp that I wanted Athan to take over midseason. However, to blame Morgan for his passing yards today is either an idiotic take or you simply didn't want the game.

It was part of the post-game KFAN broadcast with JG and PJ. As I recall the ESPN announcers were still questioning where was Mo with 3 minutes left in the game.

And yes, it is reasonable to assume he tweaked his ankle either on or just before the record breaking run.
Got it, at the game it looked like they sat him down as soon as he got the record. Which made sense especially given everything else that was going on. Didn't even occur to me that he was hurt.

It looked to me like he was limping before he left.

The second half offense had PJ's fingerprints all over it plus apparently Mo tweaked his ankle (injured from earlier in the season) and pulled himself from the game.

We didn't go full box turtle into an offensive shell but the defense was more than competent. Tanner was doing exactly what was asked...plus, respectfully to Potts he is just not the same off his injury, and 99% of the time Williams is in as a pass blocker EXCEPT today when he caught the pass thrown to him.

Would have been great to run the full Athan experiment but hopefully he is or will be fine and we'll see next year.

My guess PJ was not risking a potential Super Star Back to the field conditions.

Last edited:

That is usually what makes the 'safety valve' effective.

I think Potts is still adjusting. He might be lacking a little confidence to run it aggressively between the tackles. I think reps will help him. I hope that he gets the opportunity.

That is usually what makes the 'safety valve' effective.

I think Potts is still adjusting. He might be lacking a little confidence to run it aggressively between the tackles. I think reps will help him. I hope that he gets the opportunity.
How long does he need to adjust for? He’s been playing all year…

Thank you Tanner, you won a lot of football games here, by far the winningest QB in my 35 years on this earth to play in this program and you will be missed. 4-0 in bowl games, three axe wins, two nine win and an 11 win season. Winning big ten record.

Top Bottom