Giving Up on Gopher FB?

I'm not giving up!...yet...if in 3 years we are still a mid-level B10 team making alot of mistakes with a 6-6 record...then I might.

If people want Brewster fired right now because they don't think he's bringing in talent, then they're wrong. He is, he just hasn't been around long enough. I think he's a great recruiter, and if he stays here he will continue recruiting well.

The reason I think Brewster should be fired is because he can't coach. When i say "he" i mean his entire staff. The people he hired. It's obvious, and no matter how much you love the program, you have to see that. It's so bad it's embarassing, and i'm not just talking about the offensive ineptitude. I'm talking about disorginized sidelines, poor usage of time outs, being slow to get plays into the huddle, penalty problems......etc. It's been bad from day 1 and he hasn't gotten any better. I always assumed he would, but i was wrong.

I'm not giving up on the program, but i am giving up on Brewster and his staff. It's clear to me that they can't get it done.

This guy gets it!

He will never stop. He's one of those annoying whiny people who if they don't get their way will make the rest of the people's lives around them hell.

And you're one of those annoying whiny people who think that anyone who disagrees with them is whiny and annoying.

I remember Warmath in '58-'59, too - and there is a parallel: most losses were close. But Warmath was a veteran coach who had been a winner at Mississippi State and had two really good years earlier at Minnesota, '54 and '56 (when the Gophers were nationally ranked and lost only one game, 0-7, to Rose Bowl champion Iowa). Brew is more of an unknown quantity, hence more room for criticism and less for optimism.

I don't know but like Brewsters team the talent was all underclassmen. There is a huge difference between a Senior and a junior, and twice that again over a sophmore, and freshmen are next to invisible. I'm continually surprised at those who don't understand this. It's as if they think the gophers are the vikings and are bringing in grown men free agents instead of underdeveloped and inexperienced 18 year olds. Hell even in the pros, a rookie rarely sees the field unless he's a skill guy. Yet our two years of recruits are suppose to be kicking ass.

+10

If people want Brewster fired right now because they don't think he's bringing in talent, then they're wrong. He is, he just hasn't been around long enough. I think he's a great recruiter, and if he stays here he will continue recruiting well.

The reason I think Brewster should be fired is because he can't coach. When i say "he" i mean his entire staff. The people he hired. It's obvious, and no matter how much you love the program, you have to see that. It's so bad it's embarassing, and i'm not just talking about the offensive ineptitude. I'm talking about disorginized sidelines, poor usage of time outs, being slow to get plays into the huddle, penalty problems......etc. It's been bad from day 1 and he hasn't gotten any better. I always assumed he would, but i was wrong.

I'm not giving up on the program, but i am giving up on Brewster and his staff. It's clear to me that they can't get it done.

Wasting timeouts, ATROCIOUS!!!! Fire him immediately!! That should be the number 1 criteria for a coach. Shut up. You would not care about those things if we won or if you did not hate Brewster.

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder if people that post here even watch the games. Cooper, Wilhite, Carter, McKnight, Gray, Stoudimire, Allen, Edwards, Tinsley, Green, dandridge, Kirksey. That's twelve freshmen or sophmores making significant contributions. All of which look more talented than the experienced guys ahead of them.

I do watch the games and don't disagree that some of the guys listed above have made some nice plays in limited action. Can they carry the load? They guys Brewster has counted on that he's recruited so far have not shown the ability to do so yet.

You can have all the talent in the world, however, unless it is harnessed, developed, and coached, we'll be Illinois.

So........

1) The Sr's and Jr's on this years team have been coached by Brewster for 3 years now. If we don't argue the talent level point - eg the talent behind them is better -- for a moment, watching the lack of discipline, the confusion, and the basic unpreparedness of his teams is concerning that he can actually coach. Better players will hide some, but not all of that and that is a concern.

There was a really good thread a couple of weeks ago, that indicated the primary cause of our offensive issues was a new system. Players don't know the system, they don't know where to go, where to line up. Weber doesn't understand easy audibles to make. I'm happy that Brewster is proactive and was disgusted with the offensive play last year and make a big decision to start over. He's not a tolerant guy, he wants to get better. The offensive is in year one this year, we can't compare the offensive to the previous two years.

2) If you look at the players Brewster's recruited to fill gaps and improve the quality of the team, aside from Simoni Lawrence who has been steady but not spectacular and Troy Stoudimire who is a stud on Special Teams (until the penalty invariably brings the play back) but mediocre at best as a WR what promise is there that this better talent will improve the team?
-David Pittman sure hasn't.
-Hayo Carpenter sure hasn't
-Jeff Wills sure hasn't
-Big Play Traye has given up as many Big Plays as he's made (if not more)
-Marquies Gray has looked as confused, overwhelmed and inaccurate as Weber in his playing time (if not worse) save the practice like quality his only extended appearance took place in.

You've named three first year players (in our system) and two - second year players. How about Decker, Campbell, Triplett, Tow-Arnett, Brown, Small, and Sherels. Those guys seem to be doing pretty good and realizing their potential. Other's have already listed the first and second year contributors of Brewster's recruits.

It isn't a forgone conclusion that Brewster will not succeed here but there are not clear indications that I can point to to say, yes, it is headed in the right direction.

You're right, judging a recruiting football coach in his first position as a head coach after only two full years is not a good time to judge what he's going to do in a few more years.

• John Gutekunst and the prevent offense wasn't going to get it done.
  • Jim Wacker was a hell of a guy, but getting down by 21 before we did anything offensively wasn't going to get the program anywhere
  • Glen Mason had delivered some moderate success and had us within one victory on two occasions of going to the Rose Bowl but that we would never get over the hump with him at the helm and we needed someone to take us the rest of the way
  • Tim Brewster set this program backwards when he was hired by insisting we start over completely, and while sometimes you need to go backwards to go forwards, there are usually signs of consistency of approach that illustrates progress and opportunity. All we have is higher recruiting rankings than we've had in the past, which again will help, but will not overcome the evident coaching deficiencies that have plagued this program since Brewster took over.

Looking at the previous list, Brewster is much better then all of those coaches, now. I have no idea how you say the program is going backward. Give him a little time before we judge him.

Wasting timeouts, ATROCIOUS!!!! Fire him immediately!! That should be the number 1 criteria for a coach. Shut up. You would not care about those things if we won or if you did not hate Brewster.

Well written.

Shut up? Solid.

If we win, if we're consistent winners, i won't complain about crappy coaching. It's likely the coaching won't be crappy. That currently isn't the case.

If Weber can throw a football better than a middle schooler the coaches look a lot better this year. It is players not coaching.

If Weber can throw a football better than a middle schooler the coaches look a lot better this year. It is players not coaching.

Wow ... just wow (added dots for emphasis)

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder if people that post here even watch the games. Cooper, Wilhite, Carter, McKnight, Gray, Stoudimire, Allen, Edwards, Tinsley, Green, dandridge, Kirksey. That's twelve freshmen or sophmores making significant contributions. All of which look more talented than the experienced guys ahead of them.

Imagine that, a team playing a bunch of freshman and sophomores that lacks discipline and makes mistakes.

So you are saying Weber throws a nice ball?

I'm saying you are trying too hard, and are starting to post like a fool. I thought since I used the ellipse it was obvious. I need to talk a bit more to the dotters to make sure I use it correctly.

I think three dots lacks creativity.

Mostly though people that make over the top negative statements about the players are always wrong. Wouldn't even matter if there's a point hidden within the venom. They've crossed a line that destroys any point they might have.

Schnoods.........you are indeed a more than 3-dot man.

Schnoods.........you are indeed a more than 3-dot man.

thank you, but actually I only use half dots, and most of the times more than three. But to be honest sometimes six, which is like using three so I'm not really all that.

1/2 dot. 1/2 dot. 1/2 dot. 1/2 dot. = 2 dots. :confused: Makes sense to me.

Top Bottom