Give me one good reason ....

The stadium and the experience is great, but with an idiot like Brewster with no experience and a big fat ego problem, the program will continue to go backwards and the ticket sales will go back to previous pathetic levels, with Iowa fans filling half the seats again. It all starts at the top and Maturi should be the first to go, replaced by an actual U of M alum.. Winning isn't everything, but competence and leadership at this level should be a given. Watch how many premium seats and suites are renewed after the 3 year contracts run out next year ( especially with no liquor as they were promised), and they start at 1800 bucks a year per seat!!

Because the Pantherhawks, Wrens, Gordys and all their wannabees on this board don't want you to renew. That's why you should!

I think of it like being a Cubs fan, I really enjoy drinking outside in a great stadium on a Saturday afternoon. My team losses most of the time but I still have fun. (Plus it's even easier to get the booze inside TCF this year!) If you don't enjoy being outdoors and can't create your own fun, you're in trouble this year.

it is easier to get booze in but the ushers are now watching closely. Somebody told on me at the USC game. frowny face

This seems to be a recurring theme with a lot of fans lately. I suspect it must have something to do with the Twin Cities being a pro sports market. That mentality seems to have taken hold of everything. In college sports, IMHO, you support your school's teams win or lose. You support your school through thick and thin.

+1,000,000

If you have to ask the question you probably shouldn't renew.

I totally agree.

And I think I'm asking the same question. Why would I financially support this team. So many other solid teams at the U more deserving of my money. Thank god I never bought the blood-money seats.

I totally agree.

And I think I'm asking the same question. Why would I financially support this team. So many other solid teams at the U more deserving of my money. Thank god I never bought the blood-money seats.

Good lord, who peed in your cheerios? Just post after post of blame, paranoia, doom and gloom.
I'll support this program through thick and thin. There is simply no other way in my mind.
Minnesota fans are SO fickle. Absolutely no patience, allegiance, and no loyalty.

Why get season tickets?

If you have to ask the question you probably shouldn't renew.

Agree 100%.

Ultimately, there could be a hundred different reasons for having season tickets to anything really. Everybody has their own reasons.

I spend almost $5000 annually for 3 season tickets to the AZ Cardinals at the club level. I'm not a Cardinals fan, I'm a Vikings fan. It's a 4-5 hour drive for me to get to the games from Las Vegas. Seems ridiculous, no doubt.

Why? Being a huge sports fan of a LOT of different sports and having lived in primarily non-metro locations for most of my life I have always wanted season tickets to SOMETHING, didn't care if it was women's bowling. So now, I have the means to do things like this so I went for it a few years ago.

Just to know that I have a seat there, the comraderie among the people sitting around you, looking forward to seeing the same fans every game, etc. We have a house within a couple hours of PHX that we rent out so I justified it that I would pay for the tickets with some of the rental income.

There's also clients. Sunday I'm taking a couple of clients (Raider fans) to the game against the Raiders and I know we're going to have a great time. Sure, I'll expense the tickets and the trip to take a dent out of the season ticket cost but that's not why I got the tickets.

Another reason could be the chance that you see "that game". Remember the game when...? I was at that game!!

And of course the obvious; the game day atmosphere, the pageantry, the game, the cheering, the booing, the food.

Anyway, as has already been beaten to death. If you need somebody to tell you why you should renew, that probably answers your question right there.

Agree 100%.

Ultimately, there could be a hundred different reasons for having season tickets to anything really. Everybody has their own reasons.

I spend almost $5000 annually for 3 season tickets to the AZ Cardinals at the club level. I'm not a Cardinals fan, I'm a Vikings fan. It's a 4-5 hour drive for me to get to the games from Las Vegas. Seems ridiculous, no doubt.

Why? Being a huge sports fan of a LOT of different sports and having lived in primarily non-metro locations for most of my life I have always wanted season tickets to SOMETHING, didn't care if it was women's bowling. So now, I have the means to do things like this so I went for it a few years ago.

Just to know that I have a seat there, the comraderie among the people sitting around you, looking forward to seeing the same fans every game, etc. We have a house within a couple hours of PHX that we rent out so I justified it that I would pay for the tickets with some of the rental income.

There's also clients. Sunday I'm taking a couple of clients (Raider fans) to the game against the Raiders and I know we're going to have a great time. Sure, I'll expense the tickets and the trip to take a dent out of the season ticket cost but that's not why I got the tickets.

Another reason could be the chance that you see "that game". Remember the game when...? I was at that game!!

And of course the obvious; the game day atmosphere, the pageantry, the game, the cheering, the booing, the food.

Anyway, as has already been beaten to death. If you need somebody to tell you why you should renew, that probably answers your question right there.

Do you buy UNLV tickets for the two or three games a year where BCS or good Mountain West teams come to town or isn't it worth the bother? Sam Boyd really is a nice little stadium.

Is anybody begging you to renew? I renew because I get great enjoyment over knowing that for the entire time that I'm raising my kids we will have a saturday tradition in the fall where we drive to the game, tailgate, enjoy the game, and drive home. That is a lot of time spent with my kids that I couldn't guarentee otherwise, I spent a lot of time with my Dad doing the same thing regardless of how we were getting along with each other that week.

The program will be here whether you support it or not, nobody is shedding tears that you can't stay in kitchen.

Mindset of a typical Twin-Cities sports fan:

"I only will go to home games where I feel confident that the team will win because it is a waste of time for me to go to a game where they lose, and it makes me feel bad the rest of the day. The team owes it to me to win if I show up because I paid money to see them. I also try to only watch and support the teams that win because it makes me feel better about myself and my life if the team I am cheering for wins."

I think of it like being a Cubs fan, I really enjoy drinking outside in a great stadium on a Saturday afternoon. My team losses most of the time but I still have fun. (Plus it's even easier to get the booze inside TCF this year!) If you don't enjoy being outdoors and can't create your own fun, you're in trouble this year.

I think of it as being Cubs fan too. You gotta learn how to have fun even while we're dealing with tough times. There's no way in hell I'm gettng rid of my tix. This is MY team and I'm not giving up on them...

How about to support the kids that are busting their buts for your entertainment. Life isn't all about wins and loses, but the ride along the way. If you jump ship and then come back in 2 or 3 years when they are winning, then we don't want you there on Saturdays. Do you have friends to tailgate with and swap spit before and after the game? Even though they haven't won every game at TCF, I will argue that every game at TCF has been entertaining and well worth your $600. BTW, I don't know how you could get 2 tickets, donate and get parking for that price.

Mindset of a typical Twin-Cities sports fan:

"I only will go to home games where I feel confident that the team will win because it is a waste of time for me to go to a game where they lose, and it makes me feel bad the rest of the day. The team owes it to me to win if I show up because I paid money to see them. I also try to only watch and support the teams that win because it makes me feel better about myself and my life if the team I am cheering for wins."

Josh, unfortunately you are right on about the mindset of too many fans in the area. The last part rings especially true.

How about to support the kids that are busting their buts for your entertainment. Life isn't all about wins and loses, but the ride along the way. If you jump ship and then come back in 2 or 3 years when they are winning, then we don't want you there on Saturdays. Do you have friends to tailgate with and swap spit before and after the game? Even though they haven't won every game at TCF, I will argue that every game at TCF has been entertaining and well worth your $600. BTW, I don't know how you could get 2 tickets, donate and get parking for that price.

I don't know what "swap spit" means nowadays but I know what it used to mean and its not something I've ever thought about doing with my friends pre or post tailgate, regardless of how many cocktails were consumed. LOL.

The OP sure set himself/herself up for a blogging. f-hilarious!

If some of us survived the Dan Monson era of Gopher basketball, certainly you can survive the Brew era of Gopher football. Look at it this way. When the thought seeps into your mind to cancel your season tickets (the thought crossed my mind many times in Monson's last couple years), fight it off and remind yourself that it's still Big Ten football (or basketball in my case), even if the Gophers stink. The overall quality of the product (the Big Ten) far outweighs the fact the Gophers may be going through lean times. I still enjoy seeing quality teams & athletes from other schools.

Hey, did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Although Pearl Harbor is an apt metaphor for the direction this team is headed in. And if this team implodes tomorrow night (which is not outside the realm of possibility) then Sept 25, 2010 = Dec 7, 1941 for coach Brewster. Admiral Kimmel, the commander at Pearl Harbor, suffered a career limiting experience that day.

But all kidding aside, you support the team out of loyalty, not because they're winning. That said, I feel a lot better about my investment of loyalty, time and money into supporting and following Gopher Football when I see:

1.A competent team on the field that tries its hardest
2.A team that represents the U well, both on and off the field
3.Even when they aren't doing well, I see hope for the future

Right now I'm oh-fer-trey. "These are the times that try men's souls"

Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin at home. And NDSU will be back here again too.

If the U has trouble generating interest and selling season tickets it will be in 2012, not 2011.

UNLV

Do you buy UNLV tickets for the two or three games a year where BCS or good Mountain West teams come to town or isn't it worth the bother? Sam Boyd really is a nice little stadium.

Before I got the Cardinals tickets, I was on the brink of buying UNLV basketball season tickets for two seasons in a row. I love college basketball,I think Kruger's a great coach and he's building something decent there. But on both occasions, I took one last look at the schedule (for basketball anyway) and I see Wyoming, TCU, Colorado State, et al and I just can't bring myself to throw my money down.

Football is such an afterthought, you basically get the football season tickets for free if you have basketball season tickets.

UNLV is fighting an uphill battle in football. The stadium is on the damn edge of town, not close to ANYTHING, a LONG ways from campus, and it's not a campus where a lot of students live anyway. I've been to 3 football games in the last couple years and it's tough duty.

I was at homecoming, HOMECOMING, two years ago and the place was half full. There's just no interest.

I would not give up my season tickets for anything

There is something to be said for the being the Chicago Cubs of college football. I am not sure when it is going to happen but I want to be in the stands when the Gophers win the division and go to the championship game. It will happen. I will never be a fair weather fan.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom