GI thoughts on remaining D recruits

If we could get Edwards, Nguae, Wingo, and maybe Difton at WR it would be a pretty impressive class, which it is anyway, but what a high note to end recruiting on! Frazier is committed to Rice and it is highly doubtful Brew would/could change his mind!

Everything I have read and heard out of Edwards mouth has him really, really high on us, but from what it sounds like we have slowed on purusing him. I really dont know why. Difton seems like we're out of the running for. He has visits to other schools the next 2 weekends and has already taken one other.

I posted earlier this week that Edwards has major academics issues. Someone posted that he may have gotten qualifying ACT scores. The problem is that ACT scores are only half the problem, he still needs the proper core classes to get in. That would be the reasons he is being slow played by everyone, no one is sure he will be able to get past admissions. While very talented that is why Ill only gave him a conditioned offer and I dont buy that he really has a strong offer from Minn. or Mich. He was telling everyone that would listen that he would commit to Ill once they offered and yet he never did. Most think he will end up at Cincy.

I posted earlier this week that Edwards has major academics issues. Someone posted that he may have gotten qualifying ACT scores. The problem is that ACT scores are only half the problem, he still needs the proper core classes to get in. That would be the reasons he is being slow played by everyone, no one is sure he will be able to get past admissions. While very talented that is why Ill only gave him a conditioned offer and I dont buy that he really has a strong offer from Minn. or Mich. He was telling everyone that would listen that he would commit to Ill once they offered and yet he never did. Most think he will end up at Cincy.

Well, if he has classroom issues, it is probably better to not be to strong on getting him. The U has a pretty rough history with top recruits not having their grades and test scores at a qualifying level.

If we could get Edwards, Nguae, Wingo, and maybe Difton at WR it would be a pretty impressive class, which it is anyway, but what a high note to end recruiting on! Frazier is committed to Rice and it is highly doubtful Brew would/could change his mind!

I can live without Frazier. Come to think of it, I can live without all of these guys, but Wingo would be an amazing coup.

I'm starting to agree that our 2009 class is pound for pound better than our 2008 class. I think there are some low-profile potential superstars in there.

Qualifying, ACT, SAT, GPA, and The NCAA Clearinghouse

Is there a doctorate program somewhere to learn how this all comes together. I am a high school football player. I am pretty average in the classroom, but I take all the required "College Prep" classes. I have a 2.9 grade point. I started taking the Tests my junior year. I have hit as high as 22 on the ACT and as low as 19. This year it was 21. Now all this infomation is on the forms I gave the coaches when they contacted me and they assured me I was good to go. But go where? Is that not good enough for the U of M, but good enough for say Iowa? Maybe not the Big 10 but Big 12 is ok, not good there how about SEC or you get the picture. It gives a whole new meaning to a level playing field. And then the Clearinghouse, that Oz like bureau that proclaims you're good to go, you're not. And they do it on their time. Sorry, we take two weeks a month off for meetings. We'll get back to you.

And then you have the NCAA monitoring graduation rates, that's a nice touch. And make no mistake some schools massage the grades, and the rates to get by. They figure if the the rate can cost them scholarships, then eliminate the problem. Does the coach really make the student athletes go to class? All of them? Or do some schools find ways around the graduation requirement. Need proof, it wasn't that long ago when a certain USC quarterback was taking ballroom dancing, and a Ohio State linebacker was bowling.

The bottom line, who are we kidding with this recruiting? Get the best 20 some players each year you can and do the best you can on the field.

How come it seems like anybody who doesn't think they can't qualify at the U, usually considers Cincy? Is that school in the bottom tier of D1 schools for academics?

I took Golf and Judo for credit

Is there a doctorate program somewhere to learn how this all comes together. I am a high school football player. I am pretty average in the classroom, but I take all the required "College Prep" classes. I have a 2.9 grade point. I started taking the Tests my junior year. I have hit as high as 22 on the ACT and as low as 19. This year it was 21. Now all this infomation is on the forms I gave the coaches when they contacted me and they assured me I was good to go. But go where? Is that not good enough for the U of M, but good enough for say Iowa? Maybe not the Big 10 but Big 12 is ok, not good there how about SEC or you get the picture. It gives a whole new meaning to a level playing field. And then the Clearinghouse, that Oz like bureau that proclaims you're good to go, you're not. And they do it on their time. Sorry, we take two weeks a month off for meetings. We'll get back to you.

And then you have the NCAA monitoring graduation rates, that's a nice touch. And make no mistake some schools massage the grades, and the rates to get by. They figure if the the rate can cost them scholarships, then eliminate the problem. Does the coach really make the student athletes go to class? All of them? Or do some schools find ways around the graduation requirement. Need proof, it wasn't that long ago when a certain USC quarterback was taking ballroom dancing, and a Ohio State linebacker was bowling.

The bottom line, who are we kidding with this recruiting? Get the best 20 some players each year you can and do the best you can on the field.

I had so many electives allowed and I needed a couple low-credit classes to fill out my course load so I took some phy ed classes at the U. Is there something wrong with that?

Aye...I was a pretty good student at the U (non-athlete) and continued to grad school with courses on my transcript such as On Television, Sabre Fencing, and Comedy. I wrote multiple papers about Buffy The Vampire Slayer. So I don't know if athletics are the whole problem here.

Top Bottom