GI Radio: War Room Radio January, 23rd

Killjoy

Reaction score
I have a link to the program that starts at 5:30 pm below.

The following is the teaser for the show: Future Golden Gopher Gaelin Elmore of Somerset, Wisconsin joins GI Radio to talk about why he chose Minnesota and what the future holds. I believe after that there will be a discussion on recruiting.

The show will be live at 5:30 pm and can be heard and accessed by clicking on the link below. I believe you will be able to hear the show later also.

http://minnesota.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1601178

PLEASE NOTE: The podcast is now available and is 44 minutes long instead the original broadcast of 30 minutes. Lots of great information!

This one was a really good listen. I really recommend everyone listen to the Gaelin Elmore interview. He is a really impressive kid. He came across confident, intelligent and surprisingly self-aware for a kid who is big time recruit.

Quick Recap:
Elmore Interview:
Really good interview. He talked about really connecting with the Iowa State and MN staffs, but he ultimately chose MN because we were further along as a program. He said Nebraska, as well as the other Big 10 schools just weren't right fits. Gaelin talked about proving himself against better competition (coming out of Somerset) at camps and playing AAU basketball. He talked about how he loves to block and that he really needs to work on his route running because his routes in HS were so simple. It was a great interview, I know I'm being redundant, but you should check it out. My favorite part of the interview was when he asked about what he wants to accomplish, he said #1, we have to get the axe back. How can you not like this kid? He also hinted that another recruit (not Smith) was going to commit this weekend or early next week.

Rest of Recruiting News:
-They think the Gophers will take 3 WRs. They'd prefer them to come out of this list (in this order):
#1: Melvin Holland
#2: Isaiah Gentry - http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Isaiah-Gentry-143285
#3: Cortez Lewis - Wake Forrest commit.
#4: Braydon Lenius - 6'5" WR from California
#5: Demetrius Kemp - Wake Forrest commit.
-They seemed to think that the staff would be ecstatic if they landed 3 of these 5 and would still be a success if they were able to get 2/5.
-They think that the staff wants both Ragnow and Weylor and that Weylor's offer is commitable.
-They all seemed pretty confident about Jeff Jones.
-They got into an argument we've rehashed on Gopherhole about a couple kids without offers and the idea that everyone will talk themselves into every recruit.
-They don't seem very confident in regards to Christian Campbell. They believe he will probably commit to Missouri on Sunday at the end of his visit there. There is a glimmer of hope though, the staff was able to get him to schedule a visit here for the 31st (they don't think he'll necessarily take it) and Missouri has 5 DB commits already. So if we can get him to actually take a visit, we might have a good chance again. We have more of a need than they do and we've been in on him much longer. So we'll see.

Side Note: I'm really beginning to be pumped up about this recruiting class. If we can hold onto Jeff Jones and lock up Holland and Ragnow. . .it will be really impressive.

Side Note: I'm really beginning to be pumped up about this recruiting class. If we can hold onto Jeff Jones and lock up Holland and Ragnow. . .it will be really impressive.

A lot of times what happens in recruiting, and especially football when the commitment period can span a half a year or more, is we get really fired up about the late pick-ups, because we've already factored in the guys who committed much earlier. But when you look at some of the guys we got early: Elmore, Mayes, McKinzy, etc., there are some really good recruits there. While this class is smaller in number of total signees, the quality of offers the guys that we're bringing in seems better than the previous classes with this staff. If we can wrap up Jones and Ragnow, that would be big.

Go Gophers!!

This one was a really good listen. I really recommend everyone listen to the Gaelin Elmore interview. He is a really impressive kid. He came across confident, intelligent and surprisingly self-aware for a kid who is big time recruit.

Quick Recap:
Elmore Interview:
Really good interview. He talked about really connecting with the Iowa State and MN staffs, but he ultimately chose MN because we were further along as a program. He said Nebraska, as well as the other Big 10 schools just weren't right fits. Gaelin talked about proving himself against better competition (coming out of Somerset) at camps and playing AAU basketball. He talked about how he loves to block and that he really needs to work on his route running because his routes in HS were so simple. It was a great interview, I know I'm being redundant, but you should check it out. My favorite part of the interview was when he asked about what he wants to accomplish, he said #1, we have to get the axe back. How can you not like this kid? He also hinted that another recruit (not Smith) was going to commit this weekend or early next week.

Rest of Recruiting News:
-They think the Gophers will take 3 WRs. They'd prefer them to come out of this list (in this order):
#1: Melvin Holland
#2: Isaiah Gentry - http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Isaiah-Gentry-143285
#3: Cortez Lewis - Wake Forrest commit.
#4: Braydon Lenius - 6'5" WR from California
#5: Demetrius Kemp - Wake Forrest commit.
-They seemed to think that the staff would be ecstatic if they landed 3 of these 5 and would still be a success if they were able to get 2/5.
-They think that the staff wants both Ragnow and Weylor and that Weylor's offer is commitable.
-They all seemed pretty confident about Jeff Jones.
-They got into an argument we've rehashed on Gopherhole about a couple kids without offers and the idea that everyone will talk themselves into every recruit.
-They don't seem very confident in regards to Christian Campbell. They believe he will probably commit to Missouri on Sunday at the end of his visit there. There is a glimmer of hope though, the staff was able to get him to schedule a visit here for the 31st (they don't think he'll necessarily take it) and Missouri has 5 DB commits already. So if we can get him to actually take a visit, we might have a good chance again. We have more of a need than they do and we've been in on him much longer. So we'll see.

In the interview with Elmore did his position ever get brought up? Thanks for the recap.

In the interview with Elmore did his position ever get brought up? Thanks for the recap.

They really only talked about him playing TE. He talked about improving his route running, that he has good hands and that he loves to block. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

A lot of times what happens in recruiting, and especially football when the commitment period can span a half a year or more, is we get really fired up about the late pick-ups, because we've already factored in the guys who committed much earlier. But when you look at some of the guys we got early: Elmore, Mayes, McKinzy, etc., there are some really good recruits there. While this class is smaller in number of total signees, the quality of offers the guys that we're bringing in seems better than the previous classes with this staff. If we can wrap up Jones and Ragnow, that would be big.

Go Gophers!!

That's a great point. As absurd as it is to say, you can take a guy like Mayes for granted because he has been committed for so long. He is a legitimate big time recruit. This is a Texas kid with offers from Oklahoma and Texas A&M who is choosing to come to MN. That's a huge achievement for Kill's staff.

They really only talked about him playing TE. He talked about improving his route running, that he has good hands and that he loves to block. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

When they talked to Elmore they brought up Hageman moving to defensive tackle and suggested that if he wanted to play in the NFL maybe another position might be a better path for him. Elmore was very clear to them that he thought that tight end was his best position. He also stated that Kill and company were not discussing other positions with him. Interesting enough though, he did say that if they needed him to do something else to help the team, he would be willing to do it. But there is no question that he wants to play tight end and that he thinks it is his best position.

That's a great point. As absurd as it is to say, you can take a guy like Mayes for granted because he has been committed for so long. He is a legitimate big time recruit. This is a Texas kid with offers from Oklahoma and Texas A&M who is choosing to come to MN. That's a huge achievement for Kill's staff.

Well put, Bob, well put.

When they talked to Elmore they brought up Hageman moving to defensive tackle and suggested that if he wanted to play in the NFL maybe another position might be a better path for him. Elmore was very clear to them that he thought that tight end was his best position. He also stated that Kill and company were not discussing other positions with him. Interesting enough though, he did say that if they needed him to do something else to help the team, he would be willing to do it. But there is no question that he wants to play tight end and that he thinks it is his best position.

I must've missed that part, thanks Killjoy.

It'll be interesting to see where Elmore ends up. He is just a big/strong and athletic guy. He is almost the exact same size as Hageman coming out of HS (I think Hageman had a larger frame). But he is a guy who will add weight, and he'd be an enormous TE. This is an absolute possibility that he plays the Goodger role on our offense. He's a fantastic blocker and athletic enough to hurt teams in the passing game. Keep in mind guys like Jimmy Graham (6'7" 235 lbs), Rob Gronkowsi (6'6" 232 lbs), Kyle Rudolph (6'6" 229 lbs) were all much smaller guys coming out of HS (those were the sizes posted on rivals).

So if you're capable of being a 6'5" 295 lbs athletic guy, your best bet might be to switch over to the defensive line.

It'll be interesting to see where Elmore ends up. He is just a big/strong and athletic guy. He is almost the exact same size as Hageman coming out of HS (I think Hageman had a larger frame). But he is a guy who will add weight, and he'd be an enormous TE. This is an absolute possibility that he plays the Goodger role on our offense. He's a fantastic blocker and athletic enough to hurt teams in the passing game. Keep in mind guys like Jimmy Graham (6'7" 235 lbs), Rob Gronkowsi (6'6" 232 lbs), Kyle Rudolph (6'6" 229 lbs) were all much smaller guys coming out of HS (those were the sizes posted on rivals).

So if you're capable of being a 6'5" 295 lbs athletic guy, your best bet might be to switch over to the defensive line.

Yeah, if his listed size is correct then Elmore is pretty huge for a high school TE. While I'm sure Hageman could've stayed trim and been a productive college TE, there's no question he was most valuable adding weight and becoming a freakishly athletic defensive lineman, and that could be where Elmore's highest potential will be as well. Should be fun to watch him develop, either way he's a great get.

I think he's gonna be more athletic than Goodger. I also wouldnt be surprised to see him get a different training regimen than Ra'shede and focus on staying lean and play around 265. Maxx and Gaelin are going to be a difficult pair to cover. I have a feeling Lingen might be more of the blocking TE.

I think he's gonna be more athletic than Goodger. I also wouldnt be surprised to see him get a different training regimen than Ra'shede and focus on staying lean and play around 265. Maxx and Gaelin are going to be a difficult pair to cover. I have a feeling Lingen might be more of the blocking TE.

Not so sure about that. You look at Gaelin's films and he just mauls people. Hard to believe Lingen will be more effective at blocking duties.

Not so sure about that. You look at Gaelin's films and he just mauls people. Hard to believe Lingen will be more effective at blocking duties.

I'm not saying that Gaelin wont be a good blocker but I think he is more athletic than being just a blocking TE. I'm thinking he will be a very effective blocker but also be a consistent threat in the passing game. He played for a team that was run heavy in HS so he didnt get to demonstrate his athleticism.

He is going to be great as a TE, or he gets taller or heavier as a DT ala 'Shede. Another freak in the making?

Quietly, the Gophers are attracting quality at PWOs too. Watch out. Year five, we will see good team depth.

Top Bottom