GI evaluation of Leidner

If liedner plays a down at qb for the gophers, kills tenure as the coach will be <6 years.

Was the top athlete in the south suburban conference last year IMO. Was not the top qb.

If liedner plays a down at qb for the gophers, kills tenure as the coach will be <6 years.

Was the top athlete in the south suburban conference last year IMO. Was not the top qb.

Thank god you are not making that decision. There are all kinds of reasons why Leidner could end up playing a down at the QB position. I will assume that you just posted this for the fun of it and enjoy being outrageous. Personally, though I found it just dumb for so many reasons. The coaches don’t care who did what last year. They are going to play the QB who develops into the best QB and is healthy. That is the only thing we know for certain. The good news is that we have competition at the QB position.

No. He should never play a down at qb.

If you polled south suburban conference coaches for the two qbs who they thought were the top two in the conference, about half of the coaches would leave liedner off the list.

Kid at north was a better qb. As was the kid at Eagan.

Liedner has the measureables that make him a division one athlete but those other two will be solid division two quarterbacks.

In games against defenses in the top half of the south suburban conference he completed less than 50% of his passes.

He is a Moses Alipate but in better shape. Great 7 on 7 qb, but when the bullets start flying he becomes inaccurate.

He will have a chance to compete at TE or de. Not at qb. If he does, we are in trouble.

I didn't miss when I called Alipate while he redshirted. I won't miss on liedner.

If there is one thing I know it is south metro football.

The big reason why they have Leidner at QB I think is that they want as much competition as they can get right now.

If you polled south suburban conference coaches for the two qbs who they thought were the top two in the conference, about half of the coaches would leave liedner off the list.

Liedner has the measureables that make him a division one athlete but those other two will be solid division two quarterbacks.

In games against defenses in the top half of the south suburban conference he completed less than 50% of his passes.

He is a Moses Alipate but in better shape. Great 7 on 7 qb, but when the bullets start flying he becomes inaccurate.

He will have a chance to compete at TE or de. Not at qb. If he does, we are in trouble.

I didn't miss when I called Alipate while he redshirted. I won't miss on liedner.

Good to know, but what about Leidner?

Rosemountian said:

WOW - Talk about trashing an 18 y/o student athlete who just started his first spring practice.

WOW - Talk about trashing an 18 y/o student athlete who just started his first spring practice.

You are absolutely right. Rosemountain's post says a great deal more about him than it does of Liedner.

You are absolutely right. Rosemountain's post says a great deal more about him than it does of Liedner.

Is it possible he's right? It is no slam on someone to state that they might not be suited to D1 BCS QB.

The reason Leidner is at QB is that Kill and staff thought he was one of the best QBs they saw this year. I like how Rosy thinks his analysis is somehow more critical than the four Gopher coaches who watched Leidner play. I think I'll trust them over someone that has an obvious ax to grind.

So Rosemountain is a bad guy because he came on a public message board and made a statement. He didn't bash the kid's character or life decisions. While Leidner is a 18 year old, he is a D1 athlete. If he doesn't want criticism he could easily go to any MIAC or NSIC school and play ball - I don't think anyone is forcing him to be a D1 athlete. I bet 90% + on this website are expecting Nelson to be our long term QB. Where does that leave Leidner? I'd say either the bench, another position, or transfer.

It would be great if Leidner wins the job and is a successful QB at the U. I am guessing if that happens Rosemountian will give credit where it is due - especially with his love with the South Suburban Conference. Am I a bad guy if I say Alipate was a disappointment at QB but I am hoping he is a stud at TE? I just bashed a young college kid.

It's about translating tools. Whether or not Leidner was the best HS QB in the South Metro is immaterial to how he'll perform in college. Kill sees a strong arm, size, and speed and he'll work to transform that package of physical tools into a set of applicable football skills. Maybe the coaches can do that and maybe they can't.

So you're questioning Leidner's work ethic? A terrible work ethic is what cost Alipate a chance to start at QB for the Gophers not his track record as a HS QB. Past failures don't indicate future success. There is no reason to write this kid off when he hasn't even completed his first spring practice yet.

So you're questioning Leidner's work ethic? A terrible work ethic is what cost Alipate a chance to start at QB for the Gophers not his track record as a HS QB. Past failures don't indicate future success. There is no reason to write this kid off when he hasn't even completed his first spring practice yet.

Unless you're from Rosemount and a certain player is from Lakeville. All players from Lakeville suck.;)

The reason Leidner is at QB is that Kill and staff thought he was one of the best QBs they saw this year. I like how Rosy thinks his analysis is somehow more critical than the four Gopher coaches who watched Leidner play. I think I'll trust them over someone that has an obvious ax to grind.

An axe to grind? Why would I possibly have an axe to grind?

What reason would I have?

I am just going to say this. I have probably seen ML play live (in games) more times than Kill or Limegrover.

Moses Alipate never played a down of QB for the gophers due to the fact that he was a DIII level talent coming out of high school.
Aber was a better QB in HS.
Heck, Abbas at Eagan was a better QB in HS and a better prospect. And he was the 5th string QB at St. Johns for a while.

A lot of people missed on Alipate because they looked at his name and his measureables and not his quarterbacking skills. Dude simply wasn't a good QB. Never was going to be.

Some people look at size and arm strength and say they have a chance to be great....I also happen to look at poise and accuracy. Neither Liedner nor Alipate had either of these things. And I do not think these are things you can teach.

I do think Liedner is a good enough athlete to play TE or DE or possibly LB down the road.
If he is our future at QB we would be in big trouble.

It's about translating tools. Whether or not Leidner was the best HS QB in the South Metro is immaterial to how he'll perform in college. Kill sees a strong arm, size, and speed and he'll work to transform that package of physical tools into a set of applicable football skills. Maybe the coaches can do that and maybe they can't.

The 5 main tools of a QB are Poise, Arm Strength, Arm accuracy, smarts, and mobility.

He doesn't have D1 poise, He doesn't have D1 accuracy, He doesn't have D1 mobility that would compensate for not having 2 of the 4 tools.
This isn't a knock on Liedner. He is a better QB than the majority of the state. He is a better athlete than all but a couple in the state. I am just saying he isn't a division 1 Qb. It isnt a crime.

Rosemountian said:
The 5 main tools of a QB are Poise, Arm Strength, Arm accuracy, smarts, and mobility.

He doesn't have D1 poise, He doesn't have D1 accuracy, He doesn't have D1 mobility that would compensate for not having 2 of the 4 tools.
This isn't a knock on Liedner. He is a better QB than the majority of the state. He is a better athlete than all but a couple in the state. I am just saying he isn't a division 1 Qb. It isnt a crime.

Disagree completely with this evaluation-- but we shall see over the next 4-5 years.

Disagree completely with this evaluation-- but we shall see over the next 4-5 years.

To change the subject he was signed when we had major holes to fill. QB,TE or DE who cares? IMO this is a marathon, not a sprint. If Kill says he's good enough to wear the M&G so be it.l

I have seen every game Mitch has played since 9th grade and I could not disagree more with the guy from rosemount. Mitch was offered as a QB after they had a commitment from Nelson so the coaches must have seen something in him as a QB.

I agree that he doesn't have great poise or pocket mobility. I dont' know if those can be learned. I think he actually does have good accuracy in 7 on 7s, which means it's in there, but without poise, you lose the accuracy in games. He does have great leadership skills, and good athletic ability. Kill will take those all day long.

I am just going to say this. I have probably seen ML play live (in games) more times than Kill or Limegrover.

For some reason I feel a lot more comfortable with the coaching staff's evaluation of recruits than with GopherHole experts like you. They had a chance to evaluate him at camp and liked what they saw. I am sure they also did other research and evaluation on Leidner. If you think you are going to convince people here that you know more about him than the coaches I know somebody who could evaluate you for delusion of grandeur.

I've only seen Leidner play a few times, but I came away impressed. There are some things that cannot be taught i.e. height, natural arm strength, etc. Leidner has all of those things. I haven't seen him play enough to say if he will or won't make it at the BCS level, but often times those attributes are enough to take a flyer on and hope that the overall game will pan out.

I see this situation similarly to the Wally Ellenson situation. Wally wasn't even the POY in his conference this year, and insiders from NW wisconsin thought that Kalien from Chippewa Falls was a better player right now. But what Kalien didn't have was freakish athleticism that are necessary at the next level for a shooting guard, hence Wally's greater upside at the next level.

Let's face it, in neither basketball nor football are we able to recruit many "total packages" that will come in and contribute/be a stud in year one. Our coaching staffs need to find guys out there that will fit the mold of the program, and potentially turn out to be a pretty good player after a few years. Like howie said above, it is a marathon, not a sprint.

Good to know since you have all of us convinced you are a decent talent evaluator.

Doesn't have accuracy?
I read where he won the Golden Gun Award for the most accurate passer last year at the Elite 11 in Columbus. Some of the top rated QB's were there including Gunner Kiel.

Who is Liedner?

Moses Alipate never played a down of QB for the gophers due to the fact that he was a DIII level talent coming out of high school.
Aber was a better QB in HS.
Heck, Abbas at Eagan was a better QB in HS and a better prospect. And he was the 5th string QB at St. Johns for a while.

A lot of people missed on Alipate because they looked at his name and his measureables and not his quarterbacking skills. Dude simply wasn't a good QB. Never was going to be.

Some people look at size and arm strength and say they have a chance to be great....I also happen to look at poise and accuracy. Neither Liedner nor Alipate had either of these things. And I do not think these are things you can teach.

I do think Liedner is a good enough athlete to play TE or DE or possibly LB down the road.
If he is our future at QB we would be in big trouble.

Is Liedner listed on the Gopher roster? I don't see him listed.

Doesn't have accuracy?
I read where he won the Golden Gun Award for the most accurate passer last year at the Elite 11 in Columbus. Some of the top rated QB's were there including Gunner Kiel.
If we were playing touch football ML would be an all American.

Top Bottom