GH Call to Action: Pre-Game March Down University Avenue

The U is huge and large enough for the band to march from the stadium to the mall without going down any major road before the game. The Scholars Walk for example.

The band gets dressed in the stadium....they come out and march to the Alumni Center and then proceed down the scholars walk to the Mall. Put on a little show there and then turn aroudn and put on another show at the Alumni Center before proceeding back into the stadium.

There done.

Another variation would be to do march to the alumni center and then break off into pods for a while and then get back together at the alumni center before going back to the stadium. Or do the march to the Mall and then meet back at the alumni center.

OK...help a youngster understand. Where did these 65,000 people park in the Memorial Stadium, days.
That seems to ba the major hang-up here. Where did their cars go so they were not in the way of the University Ave parade??

The only hang up would be the new parking lot in between the Radisson and Williams Arena -- that lot would be along the Marching Band route. There are no other lots that are on that stretch of University (from Northrup to TCF bank). The band would only need about 20 minutes to march down Univeristy and they'd most likely do so around an hour before the game. Traffic to that particular ramp--and on University for that matter--could wait for a short time. We've had impromptu marches in the past (in downtown too) and cars are able to sit for a short period while the band marches by everyone.

This is an example of nay-sayers killing a very cool tradition.

Some people on this site are setting themselves up for a gigantic disappointment on opening night. These details are going to have to be to worked out as the stadium ages and the campus evolves. Organizing a party for 50,000 people is a logistical nightmare, freaking out about the band not walking down University Avenue is completely premature. The band plans on some sort of pregame march, I don't think they will literally walk a circle around the stadium, they will venture out and gather interest. You can't even get to the University Avenue Parking ramp if you close down University, it's just not going to happen. The Memorial Stadium campus was nothing like our current campus, the comparison's are silly.

People need to calm down and enjoy outdoor football.

Some people on this site are setting themselves up for a gigantic disappointment on opening night. These details are going to have to be to worked out as the stadium ages and the campus evolves. Organizing a party for 50,000 people is a logistical nightmare, freaking out about the band not walking down University Avenue is completely premature. The band plans on some sort of pregame march, I don't think they will literally walk a circle around the stadium, they will venture out and gather interest. You can't even get to the University Avenue Parking ramp if you close down University, it's just not going to happen. The Memorial Stadium campus was nothing like our current campus, the comparison's are silly.

People need to calm down and enjoy outdoor football.

Gold Vision:
I understand your approach to this issue. Certainly things will work out in the end. The point of this thread is to keep a tradition alive that many of enjoyed in the past and were shocked to learn would not be continued. If you didn't/don't like this particular tradition, so be it. For those of us who did, we'd like to keep it alive/renew it.

I'm sure you've been involved in some sort of tradition in some organization that you enjoyed in the past and would probably like to see be continued too. This is no different.

I'll have a blast on game day no matter what happens - but I would like to see a few old traditions survive that my family was once a part of, that I saw as a kid, and that I'd like to see with my son in the near future. [Start the slow clap now :clap:]

I agree Gold Vision.

Maybe we need to look at the marching down University as a thing of the past...we've been in the dome for 25 years.
My hope is that the students at the U get a bit clever to start some new traditions that are unique to the U of M. And that can only occur once we start playing.

I'll be just fine tailgating this year. I've had 10 years of absolutly zero U of M generated tradition that's worth taking over to the new stadium.

The only hang up would be the new parking lot in between the Radisson and Williams Arena -- that lot would be along the Marching Band route. There are no other lots that are on that stretch of University (from Northrup to TCF bank). The band would only need about 20 minutes to march down Univeristy and they'd most likely do so around an hour before the game. Traffic to that particular ramp--and on University for that matter--could wait for a short time. We've had impromptu marches in the past (in downtown too) and cars are able to sit for a short period while the band marches by everyone.

This is an example of nay-sayers killing a very cool tradition.

On and just off of University are University Ave ramp, 4th St. Ramp, and Nolte garage between Northrop and TCF. There are alternative routes to all of these ramps, but University is the best equipped to handle the volume.

Wow, you must be smarter than the U. Let them do their jobs and handle game day stuff. You just show up at games.

In addition, I don't think our directors have any say in a matter such as this. The city itself owns the street, so they control whether it can be closed down. And I don't think they are willing to do so. This has been discussed before, but it really is not the director's call. Nor is it the athletic department or the University's call. Just informing you guys of the situation.

I seem to remember some students deciding to close down the streets on campus after a couple hockey games in the recent past. Not that I'm promoting that type of action, but really what could be done in the band and a large group of fans just decided they were going to march down Univ Ave? Good luck stopping that.

Tubtastic -

Just out of curiosity, what is your logistical approach to marching down University? The band will go the stadium to pick up their uniforms and gear since that is where all of that is housed. Then what? Would they march west down University, turn around, and come back? If so, what makes that so much better than marching around the stadium and the neighborhood?

Let's take the time to enjoy the opening of TCF, or do we want to continue to nit-pick it to death until all the excitement is sapped out of it? Just one opinion, but I have no doubt there will be plenty of collegiate pageantry surrounding game day at TCF. It's not all going to come in the nice little package with a bow on it like we all want -- nothing ever does -- but the game day experience will be just fine. Not everything can be like it was in the good ole' days.

Let's take the time to enjoy the opening of TCF, or do we want to continue to nit-pick it to death until all the excitement is sapped out of it? Just one opinion, but I have no doubt there will be plenty of collegiate pageantry surrounding game day at TCF. It's not all going to come in the nice little package with a bow on it like we all want -- nothing ever does -- but the game day experience will be just fine. Not everything can be like it was in the good ole' days.

I could not agree more. Things like where the Marching Band route are small details that will develop as time comes. We can all speculate now, but the fact is we haven't done this since 1980 and the campus and stadium are very different from what they were 30 years ago.

They could just march down the Scholars' Walk, or whatever it's called, while University is under construction. It basically leads the stadium anyway from Northrop Mall.

They could just march down the Scholars' Walk, or whatever it's called, while University is under construction. It basically leads the stadium anyway from Northrop Mall.

Once the new stadium is open Northrop Hall won't house the band. The band's home will be the new stadium. They will report there to dress and get their instrument. They have their own locker room and rehearsal area there. That's where they will go on a gameday. Then, they will go perform. No matter where they perform, it will be on campus and around a new stadium. I agree with SS - just enjoy it. Why all the nitpicking and worrying? Just let the new stadium create a tradition for the band.

I think you mean when Washington is under construction. And it isn't just an issue during construction. Once the LRT goes in Wash is no longer open to cars. Just LRT and buses.

Top Bottom