Getting no love from Big Ten network folks

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
Was just listening to the B-team from the Big Ten network. They are giving the Gophers no love at all because of their primary run, run, run offense. One of the guys predicted Iowa in a blowout. I really hope they don't know what they are talking about.

No surprise here. There are plenty of reasons.

Respect must be earned and we will see how much, or how little, we will receive after today.

Exactly right. Respect is earned and a good NC record does not translate w/in the B1G. Today marks our return to the big leagues and I for one expect the real value of Kill and his team will go on full demo beginning today. We still aren't going to beat the elite teams, at least not all of them, but here and now is when we begin the process of earning respect. Remember, a 1 point victory in the long run will get as much respect as a blowout.

Go Gophers, bring the PIG back home where he wants to be.

Exactly right. Respect is earned and a good NC record does not translate w/in the B1G. Today marks our return to the big leagues and I for one expect the real value of Kill and his team will go on full demo beginning today. We still aren't going to beat the elite teams, at least not all of them, but here and now is when we begin the process of earning respect. Remember, a 1 point victory in the long run will get as much respect as a blowout.

Go Gophers, bring the PIG back home where he wants to be.

I'd agree if Iowa had played a tougher non-conference schedule and/or come away with a better record than us, more impressive run game, etc. They haven't looked any better, really, and predicting a blowout in their favor on the road is a tough call...

I hope the so called experts eat their words ... however, I am worried. Whenever, I start to hear local radio personalities jumping on the Gopher bandwagon ... well, that is like the "kiss of death" as far as the Gophers go.

?? Iowa has played two teams that were in bowl games last year including a BCS bowl team.

The other being an in-state rivalry

?? Iowa has played two teams that were in bowl games last year including a BCS bowl team.

The other being an in-state rivalry

What happened last year, bowl games, etc, has no bearing on this year.

GO GOPHERS!!!

We have to get loud and loud often, offsetting any Iowa fans that are there. Come on everyone thats be that 12th man that Iowa will never forget!

GO GOPHERS!!!

Absolutely right, Doc, a new year... and good to have you back. I can't even remember how Ioaw played in their bowl last year? Of course, Minnesota needs to improve this year on our appearance.

Honestly, if we lost by 20 points I would not be shocked.

I have no clue who will win.

We have played some terrible, terrible teams.

If they looked at last night's Utah State/San Jose State score they probably downgraded last week's victory against the Spartans. Understandable, but looking at the Box scores, San Jose's Offense looked about the same. Utah State got a lot more yards in the air than the Gophers, that's true. They also threw a lot more too.

You know what they should have gotten out of last night's game? Maybe the Spartans shouldn't play Stanford and a Big Ten team before starting their Conference Schedule?

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=332640135

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=332700023

Honestly, if we lost by 20 points I would not be shocked.

I have no clue who will win.

We have played some terrible, terrible teams.

... and looked very unimpressive for long stretches of a couple of those games (first 3 quarters of the wiu gamee were an embarrassment). This does look like a toss-up game however...I could see it going either way

Utah St is actually playing really well this year. Their two losses are close games on the road to Utah and USC. They are ranked #30 by the Sagarin ratings predictor value.

Utah St is actually playing really well this year. Their two losses are close games on the road to Utah and USC. They are ranked #30 by the Sagarin ratings predictor value.

And we should have beaten Utah. USU was the better team and it looked like we were going to run away with it, then Utah pulled off a 3rd quarter onside kick and we couldn't recover. We got out coached in that game, which is understandable since it was Matt Wells' first game as a HC. As for SC, that defense is flat out scary.

On ESPN Game Day everyone, BUT Coach Lee Corso picked Iowa. Let's not disappoint coach Corso.

And given that the Georgia fans wanted him to pick LSU... does that scare anybody?

If they looked at last night's Utah State/San Jose State score they probably downgraded last week's victory against the Spartans. Understandable, but looking at the Box scores, San Jose's Offense looked about the same. Utah State got a lot more yards in the air than the Gophers, that's true. They also threw a lot more too.

You know what they should have gotten out of last night's game? Maybe the Spartans shouldn't play Stanford and a Big Ten team before starting their Conference Schedule?

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=332640135

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=332700023

SJSU ran 35 more plays against USU and still ended up with 49 less yards.

SJSU ran 35 more plays against USU and still ended up with 49 less yards.

..and they had 28 First Downs versus Utah State and 16 against Minnesota. Big plays hurt the Gophers. 6.5 yards per pass versus Utah State, 12 yards versus Minnesota. Yards lost (sacks) could have also been different.

I think the moral of the story is that our non con schedule does not give us much of an indicator as to how well we will do in Big 10 play. I remember reading an article the other day where Vreene stated that last year going into the Iowa game they felt they could easily compete against Iowa because they were undefeated going into that game. However, once they started playing Iowa, the MN players realized that Big 10 play is much more difficult than the non con schedule. I think that this year the gophers realize that just because they are 4-0, that does not mean that they can just go out there and think they can compete. They realize they are going to have to play at a higher level now that they are in conference play. I hope the Gopohers are ready for a battle that they have not yet experienced this season. Big 10 play is a lot more difficult and I hope our guys do not come in over confident. I do think that they will play Iowa tough and keep it close and hopefully pull it out at the end.

Not exactly love from this doosh either. But he gets basic facts wrong (one conference victory last year for us???), so ill take it for what it is. Lot of doubters out there.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-K-zKvzaa9o?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GO GOPHERS!!!

Yet, have the people on this board believe Jerry Kill is solely responsible for the NIU, Orange Bowl birth, even though he was over two years removed from the program. NIU isn't exactly looking very Western Illinoisish or NMSU today vs. Purdue.

Yet, have the people on this board believe Jerry Kill is solely responsible for the NIU, Orange Bowl birth, even though he was over two years removed from the program. NIU isn't exactly looking very Western Illinoisish or NMSU today vs. Purdue.

Fortunately we have you here to set us straight. Thanks.

However, Purdue is looking very Purdueish today. They are terrible.

I wouldn't expect a lot of love; 4 wins versus bad teams with a lot of ugly play from the Gophers' end. The significant periods of bad play have to go before you get love.

I'd be happy with just another win today, even an ugly one.

omg, we don't win big enough, or don't play the right schedule, or don't look sharp enough in big wins, or don't understand big 10 standards even though we've been there forever. I'm going to shut this down, go in the other room and listen to my wife and neighbor worry themselves sick over whatever it is they're chewing on today. Btw, did any of you analysts check out iowa's stellar non-con season? That don't translate into anything legitimate either. Have fun boys.

Good thing you're not an English major.

Maybe those Big Ten folks know something about football after all.

I think to this point it's clear that our maroon and gold colored glasses continue to be clouded. It's sure looking to be another typical Gopher season. My initial fears of the Jerry Kill coaching staff continue to come back to me during games like this.

Top Bottom