Get this guy a helmet and some pads

True. Poorly worded. I believe he will regret the chance to compete in the Olympics at some point. In his discipline, it was truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.
He had the opportunity to sign a big contract right away. Better to sign while still healthy than risk injury while training for or competing in the olympics.

He looks exactly like me except for the body, face, agility, strength, youth, and anything besides me wearing a onesie on a drunken Friday night

Brock Lesnar tried out for the Vikings as a DL and got abused. Same thing would happen to Gable.
To Brock's defense, he hadn't played football since high school and was good enough to get a sack in a scrimmage vs. Kansas City at UWRF and the Vikings offered him the chance to go to NFL Europe. I think each team only had a minimal number of spots that they could designate for Europe so that in itself says something.

He looks exactly like me except for the body, face, agility, strength, youth, and anything besides me wearing a onesie on a drunken Friday night

nWVa5yb.gif

Is he not even going to give the Olympics a shot??

I guess I have no idea if he realistically could beat the current top American heavyweights in Greco and/or Freestyle. Maybe not?

OK, dug in a little bit. Gable already lost the qualification back in 2019 to be the US men's representative at heavyweight for Freestyle (125kg weight class). He does not wrestle the Greco style, only Freestyle.

Lost two matches to Nick Gwiazdowski, who was a two time NCAA champion (2014, 2015) at NC State, and then was runner up in 2016 to a guy from Ohio St who went on to win the gold medal at Rio in the next weight class down (97kg).

Unfortunate thing is, Gable has since beaten Gwiazdowski in a Freestyle match, in 2020. But that doesn't change the Olympic team.

So maybe he'll give it another shot for 2024. But for now, there is no further path forward to earn a living with amateur wrestling.

This was probably always just amusing idle speculation, and appears to definitely be that now, but Lesnar isn't the only comparison point. Steven Neal was a two-time NCAA heavyweight champ and never played college football; he signed a free agent contract with the Patriots and was a five-year starter in the NFL. It would have been a longshot, but it's at least within the realm of possibility (Neal had played HS football; not sure if Steveson has that background).

OK, dug in a little bit. Gable already lost the qualification back in 2019 to be the US men's representative at heavyweight for Freestyle (125kg weight class). He does not wrestle the Greco style, only Freestyle.

Lost two matches to Nick Gwiazdowski, who was a two time NCAA champion (2014, 2015) at NC State, and then was runner up in 2016 to a guy from Ohio St who went on to win the gold medal at Rio in the next weight class down (97kg).

Unfortunate thing is, Gable has since beaten Gwiazdowski in a Freestyle match, in 2020. But that doesn't change the Olympic team.

So maybe he'll give it another shot for 2024. But for now, there is no further path forward to earn a living with amateur wrestling.
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2021/03/29/wrestling-olymipc-trials-tv-live-stream-schedule-usa/

Olympic Trials are this weekend in Texas.

Gable won the Hodge today. Co-winner with Spencer Lee of Iowa.
Gable rules.

Thank you for correcting me here. I was clearly wrong that the 2019 results stood for the games this summer.

I guess Gable's announcement must for after any Olympic wrestling bid would happen, should he beat Gwiazdowski on Saturday.

Should be a great match, assuming they both make the final.

Former Gopher Tony Nelson is #5 seed at 125kg, as well.

It hasn't happened all that often, but there are guys who didn't play football college at all, or who played college football only one year after playing primarily another sport, who made the NFL:

Antonio Gates (college basketball)
Jimmy Graham (college basketball)
Ross Travis (college basketball)
Stephen Neal (college wrestler)
Chris Hogan (lacrosse)

Just to round out this saga:
Dude is such a monster. I don't follow international wrestling, but I can't imagine he doesn't have a great shot at gold. The guy he absolutely dominated in the finals (10-0 and 10-4) is a two-time world bronze medalist. Can't wait to watch Gable in August!

Why is he the Number 2 guy on the team after beating #1?

Dude is such a monster. I don't follow international wrestling, but I can't imagine he doesn't have a great shot at gold. The guy he absolutely dominated in the finals (10-0 and 10-4) is a two-time world bronze medalist. Can't wait to watch Gable in August!
Looks like he's going to have to get through these guys:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geno_Petriashvili
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taha_Akgül

(unless they're out for whatever reasons)

Some baaaaaaaad dudes ...

kinda on this topic, Penn State wrestler Seth Nevills is going to walk on to their FB program. OL at 6'4" and 304lb

Gable wrestles tonight around 9:45pm Central time. If he wins and seeds hold he would face one of the best heavyweights in the world in Taha Akgul (2016 Olympic gold medalist, 2014 and 2015 world champion, 2017 and 2019 worlds runner-up) around 11pm

Gable wrestles tonight around 9:45pm Central time. If he wins and seeds hold he would face one of the best heavyweights in the world in Taha Akgul (2016 Olympic gold medalist, 2014 and 2015 world champion, 2017 and 2019 worlds runner-up) around 11pm
Jebus even his name is scary....

I may have to stay up tonight and put that on to watch

Top Bottom