Get rid of early (Dec) signing period (and transfer window?)?

Gophers_4life

Banned
Reaction score
SEC comish says that would be good: https://theathletic.com/4067676/2023/01/07/greg-sankey-early-signing-period-recruiting/

Southeastern Conference commissioner Greg Sankey has seen enough. At least when it comes to the December early signing period, which now has six seasons of data behind it, including one season with the December-January transfer portal window.

“We’re crushing coaches in December,” he said Saturday in a wide-ranging conversation with The Athletic two days before the national championship game. “We’re going to add Playoff games (in December). We have to change early signing.”

That’s because the early signing period, which took effect in December 2017, is far from the only major event in the month. There’s the coaching carousel. There’s bowl game prep. And, for the first time in 2022, there was also the transfer portal window, which opened on Dec. 5, the day after championship selections were made, and runs through Jan. 18. Most FBS athletic directors made head coaching changes in advance of the window opening in order to have a new coach in place to add transfers. But the firing and hiring cycle had already shifted in recent years to account for the early signing period. The windows simply moved it up another week or two, which then led to coordinator and staffing changes below the head coach level starting earlier, too.

The presence of transfer windows made a huge difference — but not in the way it was intended. The hope was that a designated time period to enter the portal would alleviate stress for players. In theory, by not being able to enter the portal until the end of the regular season, they would be able to make a more informed, less emotional decision.

“We’ve created more pressure for young people,” said Sankey, a co-chair of the Division I Transformation Committee that approved the transfer windows. “There was a notion that we needed these long windows to alleviate pressure. I think we created pressure for young people. …

“We have to change December and college football to support the health of our participants and our leaders — and conduct the games.”

It is possible that the transfer windows will be reevaluated, adjusted or even abandoned in the future. But the more obvious and perhaps quicker fix is the one regarding high school prospects, who now feel immense pressure to sign with schools in mid-December. Even as they wrap up high school championship seasons, their recruiters prepare for bowl games — some of which are played on signing day — and coaches selling them on schools mull job changes themselves.

I have full confidence that whatever decisions are made down the road will continue to F things up.
Perhaps. Something has to be done as the writer brought up some good points that I can't argue with. The early signing, transfers, coaches leaving, and so forth are all valid points for discussion. Kind of weird now that we use to wait until February for signing day.

Don't a fair number of early signees enroll in the Spring semester and participate in Spring ball? Getting rid of early signing would get rid of that happening. Not sure if that really matters or not.

Don't a fair number of early signees enroll in the Spring semester and participate in Spring ball? Getting rid of early signing would get rid of that happening. Not sure if that really matters or not.
Nah, doesn't impact that either way. Early enrollees were a thing for years before the early signing day.

If you enroll and accept a scholarship in Jan, then you’ve started your NCAA clock.

Signing an NLI (not NIL!) is by no means a requirement to be able to enroll and accept a scholarship. It’s really just saying you will do that in the future.

I really don't consider it early when it's halfway through your HS senior year. More SEC power wanting to stomp out HS commitment and devaluing schools for football/coach's power.

Early would be signing before your senior season.

Last edited:

Move the signing period from early Dec to early/late August or Early September. It keeps the benefit for the Northern schools while moving things around for coaches if that's really what you are concerned about...

I would be in favor of signing day being national decision day.

Move the signing period from early Dec to early/late August or Early September. It keeps the benefit for the Northern schools while moving things around for coaches if that's really what you are concerned about...
I think having national signing day before kids play their senior seasons would be pretty ridiculous

If th SEC is in favor of almost anything I wold be against it.
To date none of the other Power Five commissioners have expressed similar concerns about the poor coaches making millions being too stressed.
There must be some competitive disadvantage the current system has made for the SEC.

I think having national signing day before kids play their senior seasons would be pretty ridiculous
I mean, how many of our guys are committed before their senior season and then sign? If anything it benefits programs that see potential in a kid before their senior season. If a kid thinks he can get a better offer after his senior season, then he doesn't need to sign early, but if a school likes what they've seen and gives out an offer before their senior season, why make the kid wait to commit?

I mean, how many of our guys are committed before their senior season and then sign? If anything it benefits programs that see potential in a kid before their senior season. If a kid thinks he can get a better offer after his senior season, then he doesn't need to sign early, but if a school likes what they've seen and gives out an offer before their senior season, why make the kid wait to commit?
You see it as why make the kid wait to commit
I see it as why force the kid to commit?
Why have division one schools fill their classes before some kids have a chance to develop?

You see it as why make the kid wait to commit
I see it as why force the kid to commit?
Why have division one schools fill their classes before some kids have a chance to develop?
To each their own, I just wonder what percentage of kids knew which school they wanted to play at before their senior year. If that's the case, why not allow them to commit even earlier?

What if a kid doesn't want to spend his senior season of high school texting college coaches back to say he's still committed to School Z and to leave him alone? Getting signed prior to opening night of a senior football season might be a big relief to some kids (certainly not all).

I see a definite benefit in it for kids who are certain and want the process to be over with and don't want to worry one bit about a college decision during your senior season of football.

There is also a chance signing before your senior season serves as an insurance policy of sorts against catastrophic injury. Having an early signing day prior to the senior season would force the school to remain committed to paying for your education. It might be the main reason there isn't a signing day like that now. Schools don't want to be on the hook. Many schools will still honor the verbal, but not all have over the years.

Last edited:

What if a kid doesn't want to spend his senior season of high school texting college coaches back to say he's still committed to School Z and to leave him alone? Getting signed prior to opening night of a senior football season might be a big relief to some kids (certainly not all).

I see a definite benefit in it for kids who are certain and want the process to be over with and don't want to worry one bit about a college decision during your senior season of football.

There is also a chance signing before your senior season serves as an insurance policy of sorts against catastrophic injury. Having an early signing day prior to the senior season would force the school to remain committed to paying for your education. It might be the main reason there isn't a signing day like that now. Schools don't want to be on the hook. Many schools will still honor the verbal, but not all have over the years.
Yeah maybe.
Maybe we shouldn’t have a signing day at all.
If an 8th grader wants to sign, go ahead

There shouldn't be a signing day, you can sign anytime during your senior season. That way the school can't pull the scholarship offer if they get that last-minute interest from another 'cruit, and likewise the school doesn't have to wait until the last minute to see if they're really going to sign.

SEC comish says that would be good: https://theathletic.com/4067676/2023/01/07/greg-sankey-early-signing-period-recruiting/

Southeastern Conference commissioner Greg Sankey has seen enough. At least when it comes to the December early signing period, which now has six seasons of data behind it, including one season with the December-January transfer portal window.

“We’re crushing coaches in December,” he said Saturday in a wide-ranging conversation with The Athletic two days before the national championship game. “We’re going to add Playoff games (in December). We have to change early signing.”

That’s because the early signing period, which took effect in December 2017, is far from the only major event in the month. There’s the coaching carousel. There’s bowl game prep. And, for the first time in 2022, there was also the transfer portal window, which opened on Dec. 5, the day after championship selections were made, and runs through Jan. 18. Most FBS athletic directors made head coaching changes in advance of the window opening in order to have a new coach in place to add transfers. But the firing and hiring cycle had already shifted in recent years to account for the early signing period. The windows simply moved it up another week or two, which then led to coordinator and staffing changes below the head coach level starting earlier, too.

The presence of transfer windows made a huge difference — but not in the way it was intended. The hope was that a designated time period to enter the portal would alleviate stress for players. In theory, by not being able to enter the portal until the end of the regular season, they would be able to make a more informed, less emotional decision.

“We’ve created more pressure for young people,” said Sankey, a co-chair of the Division I Transformation Committee that approved the transfer windows. “There was a notion that we needed these long windows to alleviate pressure. I think we created pressure for young people. …

“We have to change December and college football to support the health of our participants and our leaders — and conduct the games.”

It is possible that the transfer windows will be reevaluated, adjusted or even abandoned in the future. But the more obvious and perhaps quicker fix is the one regarding high school prospects, who now feel immense pressure to sign with schools in mid-December. Even as they wrap up high school championship seasons, their recruiters prepare for bowl games — some of which are played on signing day — and coaches selling them on schools mull job changes themselves.
We need to change it because we are “crushing coaches”?

Thoughts and prayers with the coaches, but…. If I was a high school, I would like the option to lock in and not have the rug pulled out from me.

There shouldn't be a signing day, you can sign anytime during your senior season. That way the school can't pull the scholarship offer if they get that last-minute interest from another 'cruit, and likewise the school doesn't have to wait until the last minute to see if they're really going to sign.
Now this is an interesting idea. I mean, why is there a signing day?

Now this is an interesting idea. I mean, why is there a signing day?
To prevent hot boxing kids during their visits. There are dead and quiet periods to allow recruits time to evaluate their decision without pressure from the schools.

I like the idea of moving the early signing to the end of August before games begin. August is already a dead period, so the change fits the schedule. It might cut down on the ridiculous number of offers some schools make so they are “in” on recruits that have potential, but need to see their senior season of play.

The problem is some teams will be playing 12 games and some teams will play 17.

He’s only concerned about the programs playing 15-17 games.

I see your point. It would be nice, somehow, to provide the bolded to those kids who want it.

The flip-side and issue, as highlighted in the OP article, is that college coaches then pressure every kid (as many as they can) to sign early. It creates that much more pressure on all the kids.

You may think that is not that big of a deal, relative to the benefit it provides, and I think that is actually a fair argument. I'm just presenting what has been written about what the SEC comish said.

But then you start getting "uncommittable" offers from schools. Like they're saying "we want to offer you, and we will .... if the X guys ahead of you on our board fall through. Be ready!"

To prevent hot boxing kids during their visits. There are dead and quiet periods to allow recruits time to evaluate their decision without pressure from the schools.
Pretty simple to solve "hot boxing" - you can sign at any time during your senior season and once you sign, the 'cruit gets two weeks before it's final. They can back out anytime during that two-week period and be back into the recruiting process.

Pretty simple to solve "hot boxing" - you can sign at any time during your senior season and once you sign, the 'cruit gets two weeks before it's final. They can back out anytime during that two-week period and be back into the recruiting process.
If you can sign any time during your senior season then national signing day becomes august 7-16 (depending on when your senior season starts)

:devilish::

Why continue the NLI program, at all?

Wherever a kid actuall enrolls, in Jan or May/June (not sure what is more correct for non-early guys who likely start up in the summer) .... that's where they're locked into for that first fall. After that first fall, they can transfer if they want.

Probably a bad point of that - it would just force a lot of kids to try to enroll early in Jan.

:devilish::

Why continue the NLI program, at all?

Wherever a kid actuall enrolls, in Jan or May/June (not sure what is more correct for non-early guys who likely start up in the summer) .... that's where they're locked into for that first fall. After that first fall, they can transfer if they want.

Probably a bad point of that - it would just force a lot of kids to try to enroll early in Jan.
That was my premise a few posts back. National decision day should be the deadline to declare schools.
You can verbally commit when you’re 5 years old if you want. But nothing become binding for either party until national decision day

Top Bottom