Gerrit Cole to be paid $1MM per start, $150K per inning, guaranteed for 9 years

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Yankees signed Cole to a 9 year, $324MM deal, fully guaranteed. If Cole maintains his 2019 numbers (33 starts and 212 innings pitched) he'll get over $1MM per start and an average of $150K per inning pitched. This is assuming he stays healthy for the next 9 years.

Win Twins!!

How are these numbers possible? I guess that a very high percentage of the overall revenue from MLB goes to the players. Much higher than NFL owners are willing to allow.

I'm sure MLB clubs have lots of very smart people looking every day at the dollars. So clearly they gave the green light for this, or it couldn't have happened.

Yankees signed Cole to a 9 year, $324MM deal, fully guaranteed. If Cole maintains his 2019 numbers (33 starts and 212 innings pitched) he'll get over $1MM per start and an average of $150K per inning pitched. This is assuming he stays healthy for the next 9 years.
What's the likelihood of him even staying as a starting pitcher with the Yankees over the next 9 years? Let alone staying at that high of a level?

How many pitchers are there like that, in history? Nolan Ryan? Greg Maddux? Just off the top of my head.

It's insane signing a contract of that length, know you're almost certainly going to eat $100 million of it, at minimum. But the Yankees can afford to do it.

It really makes me want to not watch or care at all about MLB. My interest in pro sports continues to die off.

It really makes me want to not watch or care at all about MLB. My interest in pro sports continues to die off.
Are you saying because it’s not an even playing field and the richest teams can just buy a championship?

This is out of control, as is Corporate CEO pay. It's kinda like royalty in Britain, paid hundreds of millions for basically doing nothing.

This is out of control, as is Corporate CEO pay. It's kinda like royalty in Britain, paid hundreds of millions for basically doing nothing.
It’s what the market demands. You might not like it, but that doesn’t make it out of control.

It’s what the market demands. You might not like it, but that doesn’t make it out of control.
Yup. Never begrudge anyone for getting paid what someone is willing to pay, provided you have at least somewhat of the history and experience of producing.

Never understood why this bothers people so much, or CEO pay for that matter. A rising tide lifts all ships. When my competitors negotiate higher rates on projects than I got on my last one, I cheer them on

Good for Cole to get his while he can!

Well, it is out of control if you think it's bad for the MLB to be perceived as inherently an unfair playing field, where only the richest few clubs can buy their way to a championship. That might be bad ...

Top Bottom