Georgia Southern finally gets rid of Gun Option after 6 misreable years

GSUsTALON

Reaction score
I'm here becase I have to post my cocerns about GSUs decision to convert itself into a passing team and the Gophers are the only P5 fans that I post to! Do you really think this offense can be recruted for, learnd and work in just 3 years??

After 6 misrable years of running the Gun Option, NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE FLEX T-OPTION WE USE TO RUN, It appears we are going to try and become a passing team. Georgia Southern has tried, been down that road and failed. I would have prefered returning to the Flex Triple Option, but after the last 6 years anything would be better than what I have seen the last 6 years, 3 different head coaches and at least 2 different offensive coordinators. THe last 6 years have driven Georgia Southern's reputation and records. The new head coach and his staff better be great recruters because of our record for the past 6 years, switching to a passing offense

Here is our Offensve Coordinater and Head Coach. Their Bios look very strong, but can they really tork GSU into a winng football team again in 3 years ???

Offensive Coordinater - Brian Elles

STATESBORO -
Bryan Ellis, who worked at Western Kentucky the previous three seasons and helped guide a record-breaking Hilltopper offense in 2021, has been named the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach of the Georgia Southern football program as announced Monday by head coach Clay Helton.

"We are very excited to introduce Bryan Ellis as our new offensive coordinator," Helton said. "Having worked with Bryan at USC, I had the opportunity to witness first-hand his ability to recruit and develop quarterbacks at an elite level. His leadership as a coordinator at Western Kentucky has taken the Hilltoppers to three straight bowl games and this year a conference championship game. This year's offense ranks second in the nation in both scoring offense and total offense as well as holding the title as the top passing offense in the nation. As a Georgia native, he has extremely strong recruiting ties within our state. We look forward to his innovative style taking our offense to new heights."

"I've been a fan of Georgia Southern my entire life," Ellis said. "It's an honor to be a part of a program with such a winning tradition and I look forward to doing my part in getting this place back to where it belongs."

Prior to his new role at Georgia Southern, Ellis returned to WKU for his second stint with the Hilltoppers and served as the co-offensive coordinator and inside receivers coach for a Hilltopper team that put up record numbers in 2021 en route to a Conference USA championship game appearance. Heading into its bowl game, WKU ranks second in FBS with 43.1 points per game, averaging 5.2 offensive touchdowns per game. In 2021, WKU leads the nation with 436.5 passing yards per game, 43.9 yards above the next-best passing attack (Virginia, 392.6) and has had 85 passing plays of 20-plus yards with 22 of those going for touchdowns. Under Ellis's tutelage, 11 different Hilltoppers had a touchdown reception and 14 different players caught at least four passes. Ellis tutored wide receiver Jerreth Sterns who was named a semifinalist for the 2021 Biletnikoff Award and has 137 receptions for 1,718 yards and 14 touchdowns. Sterns' 111 catches lead the next-closest FBS receiver by 39 two receivers have 98), his 1,718 receiving yards rank first in the FBS and his 14 touchdowns are second in the country. Ellis was offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach during the 2020 and 2019 seasons.

In 2018, Ellis was the quarterbacks coach at USC under Helton where he was tasked with developing the successor to Sam Darnold, the No. 3 overall draft pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. During the 2018 season, Ellis navigated the development of true freshman JT Daniels, just the second true freshman to start a season opener for the Trojans in program history. Not only was Daniels a true freshman, he also reclassified and joined the program a year early. All Daniels did in his debut was post the top passing yardage performance by a Trojan in his playing debut with 282 yards on 21-of-35 passing. Under Ellis' direction, Daniels became the first USC true freshman to throw for 300-plus yards since Matt Barkley in 2009.

Prior to his bump to a full-time role with the Trojans, Ellis assisted Helton in the quarterbacks' room where the duo worked together with Darnold during the 2017 campaign. That season, Darnold set school record marks for passing yards (4,143, the first 4,000-yard passer in school history) and total offense (4,225 yards, the first Trojan over 4,000 yards) as well as most 200-yard (13) and 300-yard (8) passing games.

GSUs new Head Coach - Clay Helton

Helton was the first USC head coach to have 10-win seasons in each of his first two full seasons, and he had more wins (21) in his first two full seasons than any USC coach. He led USC to a 13-game winning streak from 2016 to 2017 and a 13-game winning streak over Power 5 opponents from 2016 to 2017.

After starting the 2015 season as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Helton was named USC's permanent head coach for two post-season games on Nov. 30 of that year as the interim head coaching title that he had held since Oct. 12 (for USC's final seven regular-season games) was removed. Helton guided the 2015 Trojans to five wins in the final six regular-season games (including victories over No. 3 Utah and No. 22 UCLA), the co-championship of the challenging Pac-12 South Division, a berth in the Pac-12 Championship Game, and a trip to the Holiday Bowl. His 2016 team won a heart-stopping Rose Bowl over Penn State and his Trojans won the Pac-12 championship in 2017.

Helton joined the USC staff in February of 2010 as the quarterbacks coach after spending 10 seasons as an assistant at Memphis. He added the passing game coordinator role in 2012 and became the offensive coordinator in 2013. In 2013, he served as USC's interim head coach in its victory over Fresno State in the Las Vegas Bowl.

Helton began his 10-year (2000-09) Memphis career as the running backs coach for three seasons, then coached the Tigers' receivers for the next four seasons before becoming the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the final three years. He served as Memphis' interim head coach for several months in early 2006 when head coach Tommie West had off-season heart surgery. Among the Tigers' running backs he tutored was school rushing/scoring/all-purpose running record holder DeAngelo Williams, who finished seventh in the Heisman Trophy voting in 2005 and was an NFL first-round selection. As the receivers coach, he produced a pair of Conference USA All-Freshman picks in Maurice Jones (2005) and Duke Calhoun (2006) and the school's No. 4 all-time receptions leader in Ryan Scott. As the Tigers' offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, the 2007 and 2008 offenses were among the top six in school history in total yards and points. During Helton's time, Memphis played in five bowls: the 2003 and 2007 New Orleans Bowls, 2004 GMAC Bowl, 2005 Motor City Bowl, and 2008 St. Petersburg Bowl.

Before Memphis, he was the running backs coach at Houston, his alma mater, for three seasons (1997-99), working under his father, head coach Kim Helton. He began his coaching career at Duke, serving as a graduate assistant in 1995 and then the running backs coach in 1996.

Last edited:

Give me your openion. based on the info above, on our new offense, It doesn't matter to me if its good, bad or ugly! It cant hurt my feelings any more than GSU being medeocure for the past 6-7 years!

Clay Helton is a good coach from a name program - I like the hire!! You have to let the coach run his offense and hopefully he knows what he is doing and it works out. Your team was recruited and used to running a particular offense so it will take some time to adapt to it but you have to put your faith and trust in him that things will work out!! I think you will be happy with the results!!

Fertile recruiting ground + a modern offense that might actually put players in the NFL. Makes sense in theory, but it won't be easy and will take time (GT is exhibit A).

Clay Helton is a good coach from a name program - I like the hire!! You have to let the coach run his offense and hopefully he knows what he is doing and it works out. Your team was recruited and used to running a particular offense so it will take some time to adapt to it but you have to put your faith and trust in him that things will work out!! I think you will be happy with the results!!

Oh, your Exactly RIGHT, Gold Rush! Even though GSU was famos for running the FLEX T-Option ,many years back, and I loved that rushing attack and winning, times have changed. I can finally except a passing offense if it puts GSU back at the top of the FBS G5.

I need more details. The OP is too short for me to make a judgment
You and I will both have to wait. All of you know a coach can do great at one schoole and not another. It will be interesting if they can get a very good passing QB this year. The QBs that we have now wont fit the bill.

Last edited:

WKU is a G5 team, but has had great success with their offense, if it can work for them, it can work for you.

I'm here becase I have to post my cocerns about GSUs decision to convert itself into a passing team and the Gophers are the only P5 fans that I post to! Do you really think this offense can be recruted for, learnd and work in just 3 years??

After 6 misrable years of running the Gun Option, NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE FLEX T-OPTION WE USE TO RUN, It appears we are going to try and become a passing team. Georgia Southern has tried, been down that road and failed. I would have prefered returning to the Flex Triple Option, but after the last 6 years anything would be better than what I have seen the last 6 years, 3 different head coaches and at least 2 different offensive coordinators. THe last 6 years have driven Georgia Southern's reputation and records. The new head coach and his staff better be great recruters because of our record for the past 6 years, switching to a passing offense

Here is our Offensve Coordinater and Head Coach. Their Bios look very strong, but can they really tork GSU into a winng football team again in 3 years ???

Offensive Coordinater - Brian Elles

STATESBORO -
Bryan Ellis, who worked at Western Kentucky the previous three seasons and helped guide a record-breaking Hilltopper offense in 2021, has been named the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach of the Georgia Southern football program as announced Monday by head coach Clay Helton.

"We are very excited to introduce Bryan Ellis as our new offensive coordinator," Helton said. "Having worked with Bryan at USC, I had the opportunity to witness first-hand his ability to recruit and develop quarterbacks at an elite level. His leadership as a coordinator at Western Kentucky has taken the Hilltoppers to three straight bowl games and this year a conference championship game. This year's offense ranks second in the nation in both scoring offense and total offense as well as holding the title as the top passing offense in the nation. As a Georgia native, he has extremely strong recruiting ties within our state. We look forward to his innovative style taking our offense to new heights."

"I've been a fan of Georgia Southern my entire life," Ellis said. "It's an honor to be a part of a program with such a winning tradition and I look forward to doing my part in getting this place back to where it belongs."

Prior to his new role at Georgia Southern, Ellis returned to WKU for his second stint with the Hilltoppers and served as the co-offensive coordinator and inside receivers coach for a Hilltopper team that put up record numbers in 2021 en route to a Conference USA championship game appearance. Heading into its bowl game, WKU ranks second in FBS with 43.1 points per game, averaging 5.2 offensive touchdowns per game. In 2021, WKU leads the nation with 436.5 passing yards per game, 43.9 yards above the next-best passing attack (Virginia, 392.6) and has had 85 passing plays of 20-plus yards with 22 of those going for touchdowns. Under Ellis's tutelage, 11 different Hilltoppers had a touchdown reception and 14 different players caught at least four passes. Ellis tutored wide receiver Jerreth Sterns who was named a semifinalist for the 2021 Biletnikoff Award and has 137 receptions for 1,718 yards and 14 touchdowns. Sterns' 111 catches lead the next-closest FBS receiver by 39 two receivers have 98), his 1,718 receiving yards rank first in the FBS and his 14 touchdowns are second in the country. Ellis was offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach during the 2020 and 2019 seasons.

In 2018, Ellis was the quarterbacks coach at USC under Helton where he was tasked with developing the successor to Sam Darnold, the No. 3 overall draft pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. During the 2018 season, Ellis navigated the development of true freshman JT Daniels, just the second true freshman to start a season opener for the Trojans in program history. Not only was Daniels a true freshman, he also reclassified and joined the program a year early. All Daniels did in his debut was post the top passing yardage performance by a Trojan in his playing debut with 282 yards on 21-of-35 passing. Under Ellis' direction, Daniels became the first USC true freshman to throw for 300-plus yards since Matt Barkley in 2009.

Prior to his bump to a full-time role with the Trojans, Ellis assisted Helton in the quarterbacks' room where the duo worked together with Darnold during the 2017 campaign. That season, Darnold set school record marks for passing yards (4,143, the first 4,000-yard passer in school history) and total offense (4,225 yards, the first Trojan over 4,000 yards) as well as most 200-yard (13) and 300-yard (8) passing games.

GSUs new Head Coach - Clay Helton

Helton was the first USC head coach to have 10-win seasons in each of his first two full seasons, and he had more wins (21) in his first two full seasons than any USC coach. He led USC to a 13-game winning streak from 2016 to 2017 and a 13-game winning streak over Power 5 opponents from 2016 to 2017.

After starting the 2015 season as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Helton was named USC's permanent head coach for two post-season games on Nov. 30 of that year as the interim head coaching title that he had held since Oct. 12 (for USC's final seven regular-season games) was removed. Helton guided the 2015 Trojans to five wins in the final six regular-season games (including victories over No. 3 Utah and No. 22 UCLA), the co-championship of the challenging Pac-12 South Division, a berth in the Pac-12 Championship Game, and a trip to the Holiday Bowl. His 2016 team won a heart-stopping Rose Bowl over Penn State and his Trojans won the Pac-12 championship in 2017.

Helton joined the USC staff in February of 2010 as the quarterbacks coach after spending 10 seasons as an assistant at Memphis. He added the passing game coordinator role in 2012 and became the offensive coordinator in 2013. In 2013, he served as USC's interim head coach in its victory over Fresno State in the Las Vegas Bowl.

Helton began his 10-year (2000-09) Memphis career as the running backs coach for three seasons, then coached the Tigers' receivers for the next four seasons before becoming the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the final three years. He served as Memphis' interim head coach for several months in early 2006 when head coach Tommie West had off-season heart surgery. Among the Tigers' running backs he tutored was school rushing/scoring/all-purpose running record holder DeAngelo Williams, who finished seventh in the Heisman Trophy voting in 2005 and was an NFL first-round selection. As the receivers coach, he produced a pair of Conference USA All-Freshman picks in Maurice Jones (2005) and Duke Calhoun (2006) and the school's No. 4 all-time receptions leader in Ryan Scott. As the Tigers' offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, the 2007 and 2008 offenses were among the top six in school history in total yards and points. During Helton's time, Memphis played in five bowls: the 2003 and 2007 New Orleans Bowls, 2004 GMAC Bowl, 2005 Motor City Bowl, and 2008 St. Petersburg Bowl.

Before Memphis, he was the running backs coach at Houston, his alma mater, for three seasons (1997-99), working under his father, head coach Kim Helton. He began his coaching career at Duke, serving as a graduate assistant in 1995 and then the running backs coach in 1996.
🐎 My brother, good to see you’re alive and kickin.
I think Clay ould excel there and SC was 2 big a stage for him - remember we’re in a season of hope!

WKU is a G5 team, but has had great success with their offense, if it can work for them, it can work for you.

Thank you for your honist, positive opinion. After the last 6-7 years of going dowm the tubes, I hope you are right, but I am spoiled GSU fan based on past success. If I dont see majpr progress in the next 3 years I will be watching the Gophers, NAVY, ARMY and UCF.

Last edited:

🐎 My brother, good to see you’re alive and kickin.
I think Clay ould excel there and SC was 2 big a stage for him - remember we’re in a season of hope!

Thank you too Gopher in NYC. I may be alive but after this year I'm not kicking much.Hopr is hard for me to reate to after the past 6-7 years. I guess that is one reason I'm here. As I stated earler you can tell me the good, bad or ugly about us changing to a passing offense. You guys are strait shooters and my time on your board before we played against each othe. You'rr the only FBS P5 team that could roll with my trash talk and still make it fun. You are the BEST P5 fans that I have ever visited on your own home football forund!!

Your in Georgia, Talon your state has great HS
football so they should be able to recruit enough athletes to change the offensive style. . There is always the portal and Juco for passing QB's. With Helton coming in from California, he should be tied into plenty of HS talent and the Cali JUCO system to bring in a passer that is a quality thrower. Going to have to rebuild the Oline to match all of that. That will be the part that takes some time to rebuild the Oline for Georgia Southern. Hang in there I think you hired a decent head coach.

Your in Georgia, Talon your state has great HS
football so they should be able to recruit enough athletes to change the offensive style. . There is always the portal and Juco for passing QB's. With Helton coming in from California, he should be tied into plenty of HS talent and the Cali JUCO system to bring in a passer that is a quality thrower. Going to have to rebuild the Oline to match all of that. That will be the part that takes some time to rebuild the Oline for Georgia Southern. Hang in there I think you hired a decent head coach.

GSUs Offensive Line is one of my big concerns. When GSU ran the Flex Triple option our offensive line was much lighte and faster, but we used cut blocking against much larger defensive linemen and it worked very well,

GSUs current offensive line is much bigger and are much heaver ,but can't block worth a damn for passing and dont use cut blocking. Maybe our new OC will pick a good offensive line coach and fix that problem,

Last edited:

Feel free to post your opemion on GSUs hire!

Now it's time for me to post on the upcommig Gopher Bowl and support your team!

GO, GO Gophers- Watch them GO, GO GO!

If I wasn't a P5 school, I would absolutely be an air raid team.

Now, more than ever, there are going to be quality QBs looking for homes and immediately playing time. There will be fewer decent QBs sitting on the bench and eventually all that movement, specifically at the QB position will trickle down to the smaller schools.

I wouldn't be surprised if your QBs end up being a lot of name guys who got passed on the depth chart elsewhere. The last thing one of those guys can risk with their next move is get passed on the depth chart again.

I think Helton will do well at GSU

while GSU ran an offense most teams weren't used to seeing and at times gave them advantage, there is a reason it's not used much.

Fertile recruiting ground + a modern offense that might actually put players in the NFL. Makes sense in theory, but it won't be easy and will take time (GT is exhibit A).
I think it's better the be first in line for option talent, than be the 80th(?) best option for spread/passing talent.

Our new head coach Clay Helton chose Brian Elles as our offensive coordinater and he did well at WKU, which put him east of the Mississippi. That may help with recruiting in the south.

Clay Helton was a west coast head coach and maybe that will help with recruiting in the west.

Both of them look very good on paper.

Maybe between the 2 they can get a very good QB in the next 2 years and of course other offensive players to run their style of offense.

One of my big concerns is GSUs preformance over the last 6-7 years and whether they studen want to risk comming to a school that went down the drain 6 years ago and risk comming to a school with a new offensive system and coaching staff

The check’s in the Mail!

My past quote the G.I.N was talking abut.You're the only FBS P5 team that could roll with my trash talk and still make it fun. You are the BEST P5 fans that I have ever visited and traded barbs and team info with with an opponent's own your home football forum!!

TALON - I really ment what I said Gopher_in NYC! I really wanted an openion from a FBS P5 school's fans. One that would give me a honest openion on our chances of rebuilding GSU into a G5 power again using a passing system.

You think they'll run the veer?

Maybe in the first year as the HC gets the players he needs to run his passing offense. I think the split back veer would make a good transition offense. LIke I said before, the HC and OC will be working with players that really dont fit his offensive scheme, nor a QB that has the passing skills needed!

Top Bottom