George McDonald Leaving Gopher Football Staff for NFL Position

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
McDonald Leaving Gopher Football Staff for NFL Position

Minnesota head football coach Tim Brewster announced Tuesday that wide receivers coach George McDonald has resigned to pursue a position with the Cleveland Browns organization.

“Good people are always in high demand and George did a fantastic job for us here at the University of Minnesota,” Brewster said. “This is a tremendous opportunity for him to continue to grow as a coach and I wish him nothing but the best.”

McDonald was one of Brewster’s initial hires at Minnesota. During his tenure, McDonald saw wide receiver Eric Decker break the Minnesota record for single-season receptions twice. Decker hauled in 67 catches in 2007, then broke his own school record with 84 receptions in 2008. Decker also tied a school record for receptions in a game last season, snaring 13 receptions in a game against Indiana.

In addition to coaching Decker, McDonald also tutored Ernie Wheelwright during his senior season in 2007. Wheelwright finished that season with 66 receptions, which is the No. 3 mark in Minnesota history. Wheelwright went on to sign a free-agent contract with the Baltimore Ravens and spent the 2008 NFL season with the club.

Brewster said a national search for McDonald’s replacement is under way. He hopes to fill the position quickly.

-UM-

What a pain in the ass. Losing a position coach is pretty common, we just could have used the stability with two new coordinators and Davis recently hired.

What a pain in the ass. Losing a position coach is pretty common, we just could have used the stability with two new coordinators and Davis recently hired.

True, but at least his leaving does not have any controversy or scandal associated with it!

There is that, and in the end most top coaches would agree that coaches moving on to bigger and better things is good for you program.

And to be true to what i just posted on the BB forum, I must enjoy the pain.

Also fortunately, it occurred after LOI Signing Day - McDonald was one of our best recruiters, wasn't he?

he did bring in some nice talent. I think this is a big hire for Brew (aren't the all). He has established a trend towards talented receivers, something like that can pay dividends as we are always considered by top talent. It would be nice to bring in a guy who has a resume associated with the NFL. Preferrably a former pro WR with coaching experience. Of course he has to be able to recruit.

No wonder we can't keep guys, we only want the ones that are impossible to find. so when we find them everybody wants them.

This is bad news and REALLY bad timing, because I thought Coach McDonald was the guy that has Trabis Ward on the verge of committing to us. If he leaves, what's the chance we lose Trabis, too? Brew needs to call Trabis ASAP.

Also fortunately, it occurred after LOI Signing Day - McDonald was one of our best recruiters, wasn't he?

i'm sure that was very strategic. especially after roof left and got some of our recruits. mcdonald obviously wouldn't of brought any with him, but kids that he recruited could of changed their minds with him not being in the picture.

is anyone else a little alarmed that we have a new oc, dc, o-line and wr coach? i don't follow other teams as much as the gophers, but i can't think this kind of turnover is normal or good for a program.

Regardless of the things that happened with Fisch and Cosgrove, Brew has enough connections in both the Pros and College due to his experience that he knows who to hire!

thought this would happen

Fisch was an NFL receivers coach, so I think we'll be fine.

i'm sure that was very strategic. especially after roof left and got some of our recruits. mcdonald obviously wouldn't of brought any with him, but kids that he recruited could of changed their minds with him not being in the picture.

is anyone else a little alarmed that we have a new oc, dc, o-line and wr coach? i don't follow other teams as much as the gophers, but i can't think this kind of turnover is normal or good for a program.

At least McDonald is not going to Auburn!:)

I'm not all that alarmed about this considering he's going to a pro position. If he was leaving for a similar position at another school...then I'd worry. I do wonder how this will work out with Trabis though, cause he specifically mentioned McDonald as keeping in touch with him.

Travis' at his word

I'm not all that alarmed about this considering he's going to a pro position. If he was leaving for a similar position at another school...then I'd worry. I do wonder how this will work out with Trabis though, cause he specifically mentioned McDonald as keeping in touch with him.

I am sure that coach McDonald has had a huge impact on Trabis Ward's thought process. But at the end of the day, Trabis is looking long term and has established his long term goals. He views the success of the U at sending running backs to the NFL as a major factor impacting his decision to commit to Minnesota.

Man this one hurts. As far as I understood it, McDonald was our biggest connection to the state of Florida. I think Fisch will be able to help a lot with coaching of the recievers and I'm sure Brew will get a guy that will be a good coach. This actually happend at a very good time. I'm sure Brew was calling Trabis in place of McDonald the min he found out. Good luck coach McDonald the Browns organization needs A LOT of help.

unless he was just dying to make the leap to the nfl, i'm actually a little concerned about why he's taking a quality control coach position per the strib:

youngblood

like i said, i'm no expert in coaching changes and status...but i would just think being a position coach (especially the wide receivers coach) at a big ten school, would be a better job that being the quality control coach at the browns. do you guys see that as a promotion?

Top Bottom