Geography of the Gophers

BJN

Reaction score
I'm somewhat of a geography nut, so I wasted a bit of time putting together some maps.

First is a map of the hometowns of the Gophers projected two-deeps (I used some judgment calls on the offense, basically selecting the 22 players I thought were most likely to see the field). Nothing too surprising. A good mix of local players, players from recruiting hotbeds, and a scattering of completely random places (Delaware?).
gopherswhole_zpsca3970f4.jpg

It gets more interesting when I break it down by offense and defense.

Offense

gopherso_zps8314b910.jpg

vs Defense
gophersd_zps66dfa079.jpg

Not hard to discern the difference. While the offense is heavily from the Midwest, the defense is far more scattered and geographically diverse. 10 offensive players on the projected two-deeps grew up in Minnesota vs only 2 on defense (neither likely starters). The defense features 13 southern-bred Gophers (14 if you consider Columbia, MS the south) vs 4 on the offense.

Lastly is only the Offensive Line:
gophersol_zpsf404225d.jpg

Yea.
I don't think I need to provide an analysis to see the pattern here.

All hometowns based off what was listed on the roster.

I'm somewhat of a geography nut, so I wasted a bit of time putting together some maps.

First is a map of the hometowns of the Gophers projected two-deeps (I used some judgment calls on the offense, basically selecting the 22 players I thought were most likely to see the field). Nothing too surprising. A good mix of local players, players from recruiting hotbeds, and a scattering of completely random places (Delaware?).
gopherswhole_zpsca3970f4.jpg

It gets more interesting when I break it down by offense and defense.

Offense

gopherso_zps8314b910.jpg

vs Defense
gophersd_zps66dfa079.jpg

Not hard to discern the difference. While the offense is heavily from the Midwest, the defense is far more scattered and geographically diverse. 10 offensive players on the projected two-deeps grew up in Minnesota vs only 2 on defense (neither likely starters). The defense features 13 southern-bred Gophers (14 if you consider Columbia, MS the south) vs 4 on the offense.

Lastly is only the Offensive Line:
gophersol_zpsf404225d.jpg

Yea.
I don't think I need to provide an analysis to see the pattern here.

All hometowns based off what was listed on the roster.

I believe it's DE via Coffeyville Community College (KS). Right in the staff's JUCO wheelhouse.

I believe it's DE via Coffeyville Community College (KS). Right in the staff's JUCO wheelhouse.

The player from Delaware is cornerback Briean Boddy-Calhoun, he did in fact go to Coffeyville which makes him much less random to The Guys from Kansas

Great post. It's not a coincidence that the Gophers D is a strength, and a good portion of them come from the south. The offense will catch up once Kill can pull more skill position players from the south. However, I have no problem continuing to take all of our lineman from the Midwest.

Top Bottom